Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

pcolamike USER_AVATAR
pcolamike
Pilgrim
Location: Currently Pensacola, FL but Fort Worth will allways be home

Rudy's in Austin, Waco, College Station and elsewhere

Postby pcolamike » Sat May 19, 2007 8:35 am

A co-worker and I found our way to the one on Research Blvd in Austin, when we were out doing maintenance on some servers we had in a Data Center near the Bergstrom. We liked it so much we had kept going back each time we were in Austin. About twice a year for the last 5 years. I've since been to the one in College Station (my favorite TX town after Fort Worth). They claim to be the worst BBQ in Texas. They serve on butcher paper and give you as much plain old sliced bread as you need. Order by weight. Extra lean or Extra moist, take your pick. some other locations in TX.
tex USER_AVATAR
Tex
Wrangler

Postby Tex » Tue May 22, 2007 9:24 am

hands down my favorite BBQ chain.

Do they not sell the the Sissy Sauce in the yellow bottle anymore? i acutally like it better than the original. it had a little more tangy-ness to it.
pcolamike USER_AVATAR
pcolamike
Pilgrim

Postby pcolamike » Wed May 23, 2007 7:22 pm

Honestly, I'm so excited about the brisket when I get there that I don't remember seeing anything other than the regular sauce. But I have heard about it. It may be different from store to store, since some are individually owned and operated. :banana:
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Wed May 23, 2007 9:25 pm

Well they hard to beat for a chain from whut I heard. Now you ever want to get some good food in Austin...try Matt's El Rancho. Think it on 6th street in the skid row old hippy section in the shadow of I 35. Dont order the margaritoes cuz they got Limeade in there. They got cheese enchiladas nearly as good as mine. Thats scary.

bigwheel
pcolamike USER_AVATAR
pcolamike
Pilgrim

Postby pcolamike » Wed May 23, 2007 9:46 pm

Unfortunately, I won't be getting back to Austin anytime in the forseeable future. Our customer decided to shut down the operation we had set up for them. Never got the change to try Matt's El Rancho, but did get to a place more in the Barrio when we were at another Data Center off 5th street to the East of I35 a couple of blocks. We also thoroughly enjoyed Texas Land and Cattle, especially the "smoked" sirloin.
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Wed May 23, 2007 10:14 pm

I have had great and I have had crappy BBQ at Rudys. More good than bad. Isnt each store a franchise?
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
pcolamike USER_AVATAR
pcolamike
Pilgrim

Postby pcolamike » Thu May 24, 2007 6:30 am

They have Company stores, Franchise stores and Licensed stores. Here's their website. http://rudysbbq.com/index.html I love the shirts with "I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain... to eat vegetables.
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:13 pm

I see a Rudy's just opened in Frisco (or is about to open, it was on the other side of the road).
I guess I will try it out soon.
Their website says it is a Franchise store.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:44 pm

I have eaten at the Rudy's in Denton and like the butcher shop setup but the BBQ was nothing special we had ribs and brisket. It was good but not better than Dickeys or Spring Creek.
tarde venientibus ossa....
Kalrog
Rustler

Postby Kalrog » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:59 pm

Never been a huge fan of Rudy's. I mean they are okay, but I would take Smokey Mo's or Poke e Joe's over them.

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”