The Big Reveal

This is a where news and announcements are posted and questions on how to use the forum.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Sun May 20, 2007 9:59 am

:shock: Looks like that thing'll hold 40+ butts, based on that pic. Over 200 lbs of pork. Dang, that's a lotta pulled sandwiches.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Sun May 20, 2007 10:15 am

TX Sandman wrote::shock: Looks like that thing'll hold 40+ butts, based on that pic. Over 200 lbs of pork. Dang, that's a lotta pulled sandwiches.

Jay mentioned someone putting about 24-26 butts and 4-6 briskets at once. I would say at least 30 butts...yeah alotta pp sammies!

Ok, ribs are on. I could probably put about 6 slabs maybe 8 if I squeezed em on 1 rack

osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun May 20, 2007 10:32 am

Everything is looking great :tup:
Jim
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun May 20, 2007 10:52 am

Dan, the next time you are at the store you ought to pick up a few of these oven thermos. :D They are cheap and place them around on different racks in the top, back, front, and middle. will help to see where temp differences are. :D I was surprised at mine. those deep racks make a difference in temps from what the door thermo reads. :D :D

Jim
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Sun May 20, 2007 1:05 pm

OSD wrote:Dan, the next time you are at the store you ought to pick up a few of these oven thermos. :D They are cheap and place them around on different racks in the top, back, front, and middle. will help to see where temp differences are. :D I was surprised at mine. those deep racks make a difference in temps from what the door thermo reads. :D :D

great idea jim, thanks! I haven't calibrated the door therm just yet but I am keeping track of one rack with my maverick, but like you said, the temps in the back can run different than those up front! Thanks again, I will pick up a few of those
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Sun May 20, 2007 1:09 pm

Ok, I think I've got her runnin smoothly now. I figure to allow about 2 hours to fire it up and get to temps I like before I throw any food on.

Ribs are at the 3 hour mark, I've never foiled, never done the 3-2-1 method, I just pull em off the smoker when they tear, always turn out good to me.

I've decided to foil these. Added a little apple juice and foiled em up. Going to have them foiled for 2 hours then I will unfoil for the last hour. Does that sound correct??

I'm keepin my temps about 230* and if it gets above that I just open the door a bit and let some air in, it's breezy today so it's helping.

[img=http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/8777/dsc02942ku3.th.jpg]
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun May 20, 2007 1:45 pm

Better check them after 1 hr in foil w/ juice. They can turn to mush in that smoker. I never foil mine. The air inside is moist enough. you may have to put them on a grill to crisp them back up.
Jim
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Mon May 21, 2007 7:03 am

I didn't get to check in yesterday. Dan that looks great. How did the ribs turn out?
And like Jim said, watch the time in foil, I have been leaving mine in too long myself. Going to go unfoiled this coming weekend.

Bet you still have that smile on too :D ...especially when looking at the smoke come out of those stacks...very nice.

So how'd the food turn out?
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Mon May 21, 2007 10:28 am

The butts jumped up to 190* within 2 hours after foiling. I pulled them off at noon and amazingly kept them hot til 5pm. Even after injecting them and adding a marinade to the foil, the pork was not mushy at all. In fact, it was some of the best dang p.p. I've ever had. I was so busy cuttin the ribs, pullin the pork, checkin the beans, makin the slaw, etc etc that I didn't have time to get finished pics.

I did the 3-2-1 method with the ribs and those turned out fantastic. When I foiled the ribs I poured a little apple juice then threw them back on for 2 hours. Unfoiled and let em firm up for the last hour. 3 racks I kept dry, 2 racks I glazed. I was afraid they were done too much but actually they weren't. I hadn't smoked ribs in over a year. Just a tug of the meat off the bone and it came of clean. Didn't fall apart so they turned out perfect. I need to get a mist bottle though to mist water or a.j. on em, especially if I do 'em dry.

Near the end of the cook my water was getting low so I didn't bother to refill and just let it all dissipate.

I was afraid with the injection that the P.P. was going to be too salty and mushy. The injection suggested 2oz per 1lb and they were 5 lbs but I only injected about 6oz of solution so I didn't over do it. With the taste of the pork I was not concerned about a bark and did not want one.

I've got another cook next saturday, same thing, ribs and pulled pork. I probably won't foil the pork and see what happens. I will take final pics on that though.

I also did some scotch eggs and a fatty. By the end of the day I was exhausted!!! But 10lbs of pulled pork and 5 slabs of ribs were all eatin ( did send a foodsaver bag of pp home with my brother for his 2 boys) my father in law, who is a rib guy, literally had an entire slab.

I think I've got the cooker down and realized it is a smoker and you can't keep it spotless :wink:

Thanks for sharing yesterday with me, all the suggestions are really helpful!
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Mon May 21, 2007 10:34 am

Gator wrote:Well?

I was wondering - what are your control features? The dual pipes sticking up look awesome with smoke pouring out.

Vey nice Dan, it looks really good. Spice did a great job.

Gator, the control features are 2 bottom dampers on the firebox door and the 2 stacks at the top. I've never used a smoker where I didn't keep the top dampers open the whole time. After she was truckin along I'd cut the bottom dampers closed about 1/2 and turn the top stacks about 1/2 open.

OSD has a spicewine, what is your experience with either the top or bottom dampers and controlling your heat?
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Mon May 21, 2007 11:42 am

I always keep the top full open too and adjust inflow air only...hummm, half open on the top - that makes things a little more tricky, dosnt it?
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Mon May 21, 2007 12:06 pm

Sounds like you had a very successful cook. :D :D Glad to hear everything went good for you. :D :D
Jim
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Mon May 21, 2007 3:05 pm

Gator wrote:I always keep the top full open too and adjust inflow air only...hummm, half open on the top - that makes things a little more tricky, dosnt it?

Didnt seem to make much of any difference......I think Id just keep it open the whole time

OSD wrote:Sounds like you had a very successful cook. :D :D Glad to hear everything went good for you. :D :D

Yes, and I'll be at it again next weekend! more of the same!!
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Mon May 21, 2007 3:22 pm

Hey thanks!

I lurv REEEBBS! Are those spares that you trimmed? I need to do that, Im stuck on loin backs, just whack in half and smoke.

SteerCrazy wrote:Image

Whole mess a reeeeeeebs! that pic was for you Gator!

Ok the butt on the right is at 160* prefoil and post foil. Grate space for ya Dats

Each butt is just over 5lbs. Ribs comin up next!
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Mon May 21, 2007 3:46 pm

Gator wrote:Hey thanks!

I lurv REEEBBS! Are those spares that you trimmed? I need to do that, Im stuck on loin backs, just whack in half and smoke.

SteerCrazy wrote:Image

Whole mess a reeeeeeebs! that pic was for you Gator!

Ok the butt on the right is at 160* prefoil and post foil. Grate space for ya Dats

Each butt is just over 5lbs. Ribs comin up next!

yes, spares, I trimmed the ends and trimmed the skirt meat to make em look even........I prefer spares

Return to “TBBQF News, Announcements & Help Using the Forum”