Texas Pete

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

madmax52
Wrangler

Texas Pete

Postby madmax52 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:07 pm

I don't know if any of you buy over the counter sauces and what not, but I have to preach the Texas Pete. I like it because it's got more flavor that Tabasco and its not just "hot". It does have a little kick. Just enough for a good taste. Now the army has some kinda contract with TP cause it goes everywhere we go. Soooo I could just be indoctrinated and all. I use it on everything from omlett's to steak, goes great on pizza too.

Ya see, we brought grills with us. :D and I had the Mrs. send some basic spices and all. Salt, pepper, garlic powder, mccormick steak seasoning, lemon pepper, crushed red pepper and the likes. We get raw, frozen steaks from the chow hall and grill em up. I've been using TP as a marinade of sorts too. It ads some flavor to the grade "D" (yuck) meat that we get from Europe over here.

For a $1 a bottle I say give it a try ;)
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Re: Texas Pete

Postby JamesB » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:05 pm

Texas Pete ain't bad and if it's all ya can get then it would be great!

TP, Louisiana Hot Sauce, Crystal Hot Sauce and Franks are all pretty much the same with my preference of those leaning towards Franks.

Did you know that Texas Pete is made in North Carolina? :shock:

Take care and keep yer head down!
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:14 pm

I have many memories of the "redneck cowboy". he went to chow every time I did and put all the flavor in the lowest bidder groceries. I drank a whole bottle once for $10.00 AND A 12PK.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:17 pm

I find that Frank's is good for the making the base of a wing sauce but other than that I wouldn't use it. Just my .03 (with inflation).
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:30 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:I find that Frank's is good for the making the base of a wing sauce but other than that I wouldn't use it. Just my .03 (with inflation).

Yeah, that's kinda of where my preference came from. Guess I should have been a bit more verbose... When I think of these kind of sauces, I usually think buffalo wing type flavors after adding a bit of butter to 'em.
madmax52
Wrangler

Postby madmax52 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:00 am

I guess I've been indoctrinated by the army. I go through Texas Pete like crazy, then again it is army food ;)
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:32 am

We understand dude! Thanks for all you are doing for us!
jack2u2 USER_AVATAR
JaCK2U2
Chuck Wagon

Postby JaCK2U2 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:40 pm

Now, I gotta say that I use Texas Pete - and Frank's and Tobassco. Some for wings, but I like it on pizza, eggs, fried chicken and other things. My wife has a collection of hot sauces, which started because of me trying so many of them. I even use some of them on brisket sammies. I don't use sauce on my bbq, but I do like my hot sauce!
Jack
Jr. C's BBQ
http://www.jrcsbbqandseasonings.com" target="_blank

Homemade upright drum smoker
Backwoods Party
GSW upright (now deceased)
nice gas grill
Weber 27" grill
Weber rotisserie
nbrdnck
Bandolero

Postby nbrdnck » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:45 pm

i will never forget the first time i had TEXAS PETE i was at camp victory in the mess tent around november about 2004 when mortor came in and it was surf and turf night. great stuff.
RedNeck
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:23 pm

JaCK2U2 wrote:Now, I gotta say that I use Texas Pete - and Frank's and Tobassco. Some for wings, but I like it on pizza, eggs, fried chicken and other things. My wife has a collection of hot sauces, which started because of me trying so many of them. I even use some of them on brisket sammies. I don't use sauce on my bbq, but I do like my hot sauce!

Thats the way I roll to Jack,Good BBQ don't need no sauce; IT speaks for it's self!

nbrdnck wrote:i will never forget the first time i had TEXAS PETE i was at camp victory in the mess tent around november about 2004 when mortor came in and it was surf and turf night. great stuff.

Dinner and A Show. What a life. "M"eals "R"ejected by "E"veryone "S"ane must have come along way since I got out, We never got surf & turf. Closest that I can remember is sand in my tuna and crackers.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
nbrdnck
Bandolero

Postby nbrdnck » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:40 pm

well the mres hanst changed much and the surf and turf was what they called lobster and steak and crab leggs when KBR took the contract for the army to cook. Qutar had the best meals and also 3 beers a day with you card. LOL. under the beer tent.
RedNeck
madmax52
Wrangler

Postby madmax52 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:50 pm

KBR has some of the worst "catering" I've ever had. They get paid 71 dollars per meal per person to feed us. Soo they go the extra mile on the grade d meat thats suitable for prison and military use only. I'd rather have T-rations prepped by army cooks in the MKT (mobile kitchen trailer). MRE's really aren't that bad when you're hungry. The more hungry you are the better they taste.

Last time I was here our Dinning Facility (dfac) and 2 reefer trailers got hit with mortars in one shot. There was corn and steak all over the place. lol talk about a heck of a mess for the cooks to clean up. This time its not really that bad over here, it's just that were here. Bah and it's gets hotter N H*** over here. Atleast we have Texas Pete though. LOL
nbrdnck
Bandolero

Postby nbrdnck » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:53 pm

i am glad to hear they still have it i might be having to come back over to Afghan.
RedNeck
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:43 pm

Another Papa story coming:
Way back when my GF (now my wife of 40 yrs.) and her sister didn't conserve their paychecks and ran out of money and food and came to me for help. I gave them a bunch of "C" rations and ........ they learned to budget :lol: . She still talks about that once in a while.
Army food is tops! (from the lowest bidder).
tarde venientibus ossa....
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:07 pm

Papa Tom wrote:Another Papa story coming:
Way back when my GF (now my wife of 40 yrs.) and her sister didn't conserve their paychecks and ran out of money and food and came to me for help. I gave them a bunch of "C" rations and ........ they learned to budget :lol: . She still talks about that once in a while.
Army food is tops! (from the lowest bidder).

The canned dehydrated mystery pork patty, well I learned to love 'em. :lol: If I remember right it came with some round crackers in the same can. Think the idea was to make a sammie with them after dehydrating the afore mentioned protein. 8)
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”