what are the best Rubs

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

patriotn11 USER_AVATAR
patriotn11
Pilgrim

what are the best Rubs

Postby patriotn11 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:54 pm

Hello all,

I just bought a 22" Weber performer grill and am ordering the 22" Weber WSM tomorrow. I want to cook pork, chicken and beef/briskets. What are some great rubs and sauces on the market and were are good places to get em, online or stores. I live in San Antonio, Texas

Thanks all

Michael
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Re: what are the best Rubs

Postby OSD » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:59 pm

Hoochie Mama BBQ Rub and Hog Waller Pork and Rib Rub.

Made by Sucklebusters. They also sponsor this forum. Look at the top right hand side of the page and you'll see an ad and link to the Sucklebusters site.
Jim
burnt food dude USER_AVATAR
Burnt Food Dude
Bandolero

Postby Burnt Food Dude » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:01 pm

I think one of the best rubs out on the market is Hoochie Mama made by, oh I forgot the name of maker....

Let me see if I can remember who makes it...

No, not Hooters...

Oh yes, Sucklebusters.

Used right it can be used on ribs, pork shoulder and brisket.
"All who wander are not lost.

Sometimes they just can't remember where they parked their car
."

Da Dude's new blog
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:09 pm

Agree with the others. Sucklebusters Hoochie Mama is hard to beat. The other rubs they offer are pretty good too and if your looking for the best BBQ sauce on the market, theirs is it!

When you order from them, don't forget some pepper sauce! It's my favorite hot sauce now!

http://www.sucklebusters.com/
patriotn11 USER_AVATAR
patriotn11
Pilgrim

Postby patriotn11 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:41 pm

Burnt Food Dude wrote:I think one of the best rubs out on the market is Hoochie Mama made by, oh I forgot the name of maker....

Let me see if I can remember who makes it...

No, not Hooters...

Oh yes, Sucklebusters.

Used right it can be used on ribs, pork shoulder and brisket.

Hey thanks,

What do you mean used right!

I've used rubs before and i think I put on to much, Is there a special method.

Please advise.

Michael

nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:48 pm

Michael, I'm gonna throw out another vote for Hoochie Mama. After all, it is a multi award winning rub! I use it on everything but chicken. Just never had tried it on chicken, but I betcha it's good!

And give the BBQ sauce a try too! It's grrrreat!
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

patriotn11 USER_AVATAR
patriotn11
Pilgrim

Postby patriotn11 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:54 pm

what about these two for ribs, chicken and brisket

Hoochie Mama BBQ Rub and Hog Waller Pork and Rib Rub.

http://www.sucklebusters.com/bbq-rubs-c-21.html" target="_blank
Burnt Food Dude
Bandolero

Postby Burnt Food Dude » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:01 pm

Michael, depending on which meat, I add something along with Hoochie Mama. I will say that I'll add a light coating of garlic powder to the brisket about 45 mins to an hour before the HM goes on and I'll leave it sit in the cooler for an hour or so before it goes in the smoker. Chicken will get a light coat of seasoned salt 15 - 20 minutes before HM. I'm still experimenting with ribs and pork.

When I say a light coat, hold the shaker high over the meat and shake. The idea there is to let the rubs spread out as it falls so there is no concentration of rub in one spot. Make an even coat so you can see the meat thru the rub. It looks flashy and showoffy but it serves a purpose. Very often people (I do it myself at times without thinking) take the shaker about 6 inches above the meat and shake. Then they will put a thick coat on where you barely see the meat thru the rub.

I know Gator would like you to use a heavy coat but I've found less is more. At least in the Midwest.

When you make your own tomato BBQ sauce you start with ketchup. You don't dice up, cook tomatos, etc. Think of HM as the ketchup and add a little of this and that to make it your own rub. Don't forget to make notes.

EDIT: BTW When I gave a Grilling / Smoking class earlier this year, I ordered (and paid for) sample packets of all of the SuckleBusters rubs and gave them to all my students. Trust me, I wouldn't give out garbage rubs like some do just to get a kick back.

."

Da Dude's new blog
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:35 pm

Agree with all above and especially the BFD. While I don't enhance with a pre-sprinkle, I do feel that lighter is better, at least initially. After a brisket or butt has been on 8 hrs or so, I might give it another coat, but usually not. I think too much rub seals the meat and shuts down the smoke. After pulling butts, I will usually add a bit of rub to the meat to season it.
Note, Its hard to beat any SuckleBuster Product.
dj
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:20 pm

I mix my own, but that is just my nature. I never been an out of the box off the shelf one size fits all sort a person.Kind of like when I buy chicken I buy em whole and butcher my own , why pay someone to do what I can do myself just as well.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:28 pm

BluDawg wrote:I mix my own, but that is just my nature. I never been an out of the box off the shelf one size fits all sort a person.Kind of like when I buy chicken I buy em whole and butcher my own , why pay someone to do what I can do myself just as well.

I still make some of my own rubs... Butcher my own chickens and fish too. As for buying commercial rubs and sauces, I realized that in the quantities I use, I could buy a rub that I like cheaper than I could purchase all of the fresh spices I needed to make my own.
Delaware Smoker
Bandolero

Postby Delaware Smoker » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:26 pm

SUCKLEBUSTERS.That's all I need too say. :)
Bill
Burnt Food Dude
Bandolero

Postby Burnt Food Dude » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:54 pm

cokeguy101 wrote:I need to try this sucklebusters I guess. I make my own rubs and have gotten them down pretty good.... i have one for pork and one for brisket... chicken is a crap shoot.

For chicken try McCormicks Cinnamon Chipotle Rub. They have another one called Smokey "something something" Rub. It appears to be the exact same thing but using smoked paprika. Try a light coat about 45 minutes before cooking. I use DR BBQ's Peach Chipotle sauce I got from one of his books. We've been fairly successful with the combo. Not really great but good enough to make us 278 out of 4,265 teams in 2008 chicken category.

Experiment with different combos of rubs or individual spices. Layer them on about 30 minutes to an hour apart.

Just a suggestion... :wink:

."

Da Dude's new blog
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:57 pm

All I want is when SuckleBusters Inc has an IPO, that my name and address is on the bidder list!
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:07 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:All I want is when SuckleBusters Inc has an IPO, that my name and address is on the bidder list!

You and me both brotha!

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”