Got a Chili cookoff at work

Anything, everything and all things chili. Cowboys like chili!

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

southern pride bbq USER_AVATAR
Southern Pride BBQ
Bandolero

Got a Chili cookoff at work

Postby Southern Pride BBQ » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:59 am

For our employee appreciation day we are having a chili cookoff......everyone at work knows i cook some darn good BBQ and I want to back that up with some darn good chili. The problem is that I have never cooked chili before ? I placed an order with sucklebusters for his chili seasoning and some texas gun powder but where do i go from here ??
Southern Pride BBQ Cooking Team, Waco TX

IF you can't Barbeque with the big dogs, stay on the Porch !!!

Now, I'm gonna put this charcoal in a nice Geometrical shape, called a PILE......
pony express USER_AVATAR
Pony Express
Outlaw

Re: Got a Chili cookoff at work

Postby Pony Express » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:34 pm

NEVER COOKED CHILLI BEFORE????? get a rope!

I think there are a couple ways to go.

1 completely from scratch.
read lots of chilli recipes, make a few and then experiment, add, change, until you find a taste you like.

2 Use a store bought kit/mix.

I've tried many, and have used 2 extensively
2 alarm chilli and Cin Chilli. (Cindy Reeds 2 time award willing Terlingua chilli)
I like to use a good kit because its a consistent base every time. I add to and doctor up to make a unique product, record the recipe.

Once you find a taste you like, you can try to duplicate it from scratch. Very hard to do.

I have always used ground chuck, and chilli grind beef. Some will cube sirloin or chuck, brisket etc.

Some chillis use tomato products and some dont. (mine always do)
some beans, some no beans.

Do you eat chilli? think about the best chilli you ever had. what color was it? was it real spicy or mild? beans or no beans? what about the meat? big chunks or fine crumbles?
Chilli is very personal. recipes must number over a million easily and go from 1 extreme to another.
Good luck. Hope this helps you a little
Charmglo gasser,
New Braunfels offset smoker
Custom trailer pit offset smoker

Git-er done
GIG EM
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:25 pm

Why don't you do a pot of NM. Green Chili Stew big bold flavor not to spicy low to med in the heat range so you don't give the boss a heart attack. This Chili has a very unique flavor profile and when every one is cookin Tx. Red or Chili veg soup,this is always a hit. I don't know any one who doesn't like it.
It is super easy to prepare, I don't cook with recipes I go by touch and taste and a calculated eye, so I will give you the instructions; 1) cube up some pork butt and save the fat cut the meat into 1/2'" size cubes.
2) Roast :the shoulder bone, 1 Spanish onion, 5 pasillo chilies or 4 pablanos, 5 garlic cloves, 6 tomitios. either under the broiler or direct heat over charcoal.
3) In a dutch oven render down the fat so that their is about 1/4" in the bottom. Brown off the meat and remove drain out fat and discard.
4)in a blender puree the tomitios and onion and garlic with some chicken stock Remove the stems and dice the chilies pretty fine. Pour everything into the dutch oven and add the pork and the bone, add enough chicken stock to cover + 2 " bring to a boil reduce heat Cover simmer 2 hrs.
5) Stir and add 3 russet potatoes the size of your fist diced to 1/2" simmer another 30 min and serve with a garnish of cilantro and warm tortillas with butter.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:02 pm

No worries, my recipe is on the label. It's a gud 'un (thanks for the order too!).

;)
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
Ox190
Bandolero

Postby Ox190 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:05 pm

Mmmmm NM Green chili stew........I need to make some of that, I haven't had that since I was up in Ruidoso as a teenager, we used to stay at a bed and breakfast and the owners had a chili farm in Hatch, NM. The husband, Ed, made the best green chili chowder.
Custom vertical offset.
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:42 pm

Ox you know What I'm talkin about. I haven't been through Hatch in a little over a year. Every time I get through there I always stock up on the peppers they grow the best. I can get canned but fresh can't be beat.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
Southern Pride BBQ
Bandolero

Postby Southern Pride BBQ » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:26 pm

Thanks for the ideas fellas....and gator cant wait for my products.....maybe i contiue my winning habits with your products !!!

Now, I'm gonna put this charcoal in a nice Geometrical shape, called a PILE......
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:39 am

Good luck Aaron.

My 2 cents is to use beans, I have tried office party contests with/without beans using my recipe and most of the time folks like beans (Yes, even in Texas -> go figure?). Another approach is make a pot with beans and another without or just keep a pot of beans on the side...If you go no beans, I suggest you use the bean stock anyway -> it provides a good base stock for the chili.
Gator

Southern Pride BBQ
Bandolero

Postby Southern Pride BBQ » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:24 am

Gator what kind of bean works best like pinto beans or kidney ? or what ?

gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:50 am

I use one of each and double them up as you double the recipe.

I typically drain the bean stock into the chili pot and reserve the beans, adding the amount I want just before serving. My recipe is a long-cook, crock pot recipe and there is no need to cook the beans all day.

Make sure you dice the veggies as small as possible too. They should melt away into the stock the longer you cook.

Dang, talking about it make me want a pot....
Gator

Southern Pride BBQ
Bandolero

Postby Southern Pride BBQ » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:07 am

Sounds Good Dan, I know thinkin bout goin to HEB and grabbin some ingredients to do a "PRE" chili cookoff pot !!! thanks for all the help....

gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:03 pm

Aaron - I got all fired up and cooked chili tonight, made a double batch...Man 'o man I LOVE Frito pie! This time I used the food processor to dice the veggies super fine, it worked well and I cooked the whole batch in less than 1 hour. Now I have it in a crock pot on low-n-slow to let it settle down and "mature".

I used the recipe right off the label + added a little salt and Texas Heat Pepper Sauce to finish it off.

We shipped out the good stuff today, headed your way. Good luck with the contest! Be sure and take pictures if you get a chance.

;)
Gator

Southern Pride BBQ
Bandolero

Postby Southern Pride BBQ » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:33 pm

sounds great Dan, im gonna fire up a pre-batch either Tuesday or Wednesday for a test run !!!

mgwerks USER_AVATAR
mgwerks
Bandolero

Postby mgwerks » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:23 am

Best of luck with your office chili cookoff! or should I say lots of luck.

We have had a couple here in the last few years and they were ridiculous. A vegetarian chili took first, and second was won by a guy that opened canned chili and entered that. I hope your co-workers have better taste than mine!
Here's my favorite chili:

Carne con Chiles y Cerveza

This is my heritage chili recipe. It hearkens back to the chili made long ago by folks on the trail, or those of little means. Note the absence of both beans and tomato products. It can be a bit spicy, what with the all the chile products - you may adjust them either way.

Note: at no time does this recipe, or any other true chili recipe, call for the inclusion of beans! If need be, good pinto beans may be served on the side. If you put them in, it's "chili with beans".

INGREDIENTS:
3 T olive oil
2 large sweet onions, diced fine
3 Poblano peppers, seeded and diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 t kosher salt
4.5 lb beef chuck roast, trimmed and in 1" cubes
2 bay leaves
1/4 C New Mexico chile powder
4t chipotle (or cayenne) chili powder
4t ground cumin
12 oz. good Mexican beer
2 qt. beef broth

METHOD:
1. Heat 2T oil in skillet over medium high heat. Cook onions until soft, add Poblanos and cook until soft, reducing heat if necessary to prevent browning. Add garlic and salt, cook 5 more minutes.

2. Heat remaining oil in Dutch oven, add beef in batches, browning well on all sides. Return all beef to pot, add remaining spices until they form a thick paste on meat. De-glaze with ale.

3. Add broth to Dutch oven, cover loosely and simmer until meat is tender (~3 hours).

4. Remove 2C of beef chunks with slotted spoon, shred with fork and return to pot along with pepper/onion skillet mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste. Uncover Dutch oven and reduce liquid to desired consistency.

Serve with Pico de Gallo on top of chili for garnish.[code][/code]
Visit my Cooking Blog.

The Armada:
22.5" WSM
MES 30" shorty
42"x24" & 36"x16" stick burners
1966 CharBroil charcoal grill
Weber 18 1/2" Silver
Sam's 32-inch Stainless gas grill (it was free!)
pony express USER_AVATAR
Pony Express
Outlaw

Postby Pony Express » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:28 am

So SouthernPride, when is that chili cook off?
Charmglo gasser,
New Braunfels offset smoker
Custom trailer pit offset smoker

Git-er done
GIG EM

Return to “Chili Heads”