Building Solar Panels

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Building Solar Panels

Postby nascarchuck » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:40 pm

Does anyone have any experience with solar panels?

A guy at work was talking about building some for his house and got me interested. I did some surfing and found several websites along the lines of this one. Just wondering how legit they are?

http://www.greendiyenergy.com/indexcd.php
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Re: Building Solar Panels

Postby JamesB » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:25 pm

I have some childhood experience burning ants with a magnifying glass... Is that similar?
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:30 pm

The panels are only part of it. Add batteries and inverters. The solar system on the cabin I have for rent cost over 25K. If you're like Colorado, Excel Energy will rebate a good chunk of the cost of a solar system. A cost that is born by everyone else who is a customer (pass through). I'd rather have a personal reactor. Good enough for the Navy, good enough for me. :D
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:40 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:The panels are only part of it. Add batteries and inverters. The solar system on the cabin I have for rent cost over 25K. If you're like Colorado, Excel Energy will rebate a good chunk of the cost of a solar system. A cost that is born by everyone else who is a customer (pass through). I'd rather have a personal reactor. Good enough for the Navy, good enough for me. :D

Sounds like something a greasy salty old machinist mate might say.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:21 am

I don't know about Tx, but down here the home built panels won't pass building codes. Anything bigger than enough to run a light in a shed is a no-no. Water heaters are run on solar thermal panels.
Here's a good read about solar panels.....

http://ezinearticles.com/?The-DIY-Solar ... id=2415493
Jim
petersimon786
Pilgrim

Postby petersimon786 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:47 am

I have 500 watts solar panels at texas home laying flat on the roof and the greatest output that I have seen is 18 amps in June in MN when the sun us directly over head. Our solar panel texas system is 12vdc. 500 watts should be about 40 amps at 12vdc. It just doesn't happen. Replaced the controller with a Flex Charge controller. Will see what kind of rate we get this summer.
bigtex33 USER_AVATAR
BigTex33
Rustler

Postby BigTex33 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:16 am

Depends on what you are looking for those solar panels to do. The cost is often prohibitive compared to the actual production you will get out of your panels. Texas allows solar panels and there is a Federal Tax credit available on such technology, I don't know if it will apply to home made ones though.
Weber 22.5 Silver
Chargriller 3 burner propane
Chargriller COS smoker

"Gettin' by on gettin' by's my stock and trade" - JJW
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:54 am

This was the power source for a cabin I managed back in Colorado. 78 watt panels, 16 of them. 8 Super dupper batteries configured at 48 VDC, 2 inverters. Every thing in the cabin ran on 120VAC. If memory serves, on a good day in June it would grab more than 4KW out of the sky, but in December you'd be lucky to get a 500 watts. Renters were advised about phantom loads. All that stuff you have plugged in (TVs, sat boxes, stereo, computers) aren't totally off unless you pull the plug from the outlet. A frugal person could survive well enough. Tenants with blow combs had a tough time.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:04 am

Dave, that egg of yours sure looks a bit like a homemade reactor...you cooking something in there besides brisket?
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
BryanCarson
Pilgrim

Postby BryanCarson » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:59 am

DATsBBQ wrote:This was the power source for a cabin I managed back in Colorado. 78 watt solar panels, 16 of them. 8 Super dupper batteries configured at 48 VDC, 2 inverters. Every thing in the cabin ran on 120VAC. If memory serves, on a good day in June it would grab more than 4KW out of the sky, but in December you'd be lucky to get a 500 watts. Renters were advised about phantom loads. All that stuff you have plugged in (TVs, sat boxes, stereo, computers) aren't totally off unless you pull the plug from the outlet. A frugal person could survive well enough. Tenants with blow combs had a tough time.

Really not huge fan of these panels.. It is only effective in sunny days and they are very expensive too..
HaroldHart
Pilgrim

Postby HaroldHart » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:01 am

BryanCarson wrote:
DATsBBQ wrote:This was the power source for a cabin I managed back in Colorado. 78 watt solar panels, 16 of them. 8 Super dupper batteries configured at 48 VDC, 2 inverters. Every thing in the cabin ran on 120VAC. If memory serves, on a good day in June it would grab more than 4KW out of the sky, but in December you'd be lucky to get a 500 watts. Renters were advised about phantom loads. All that stuff you have plugged in (TVs, sat boxes, stereo, computers) aren't totally off unless you pull the plug from the outlet. A frugal person could survive well enough. Tenants with blow combs had a tough time.

Really not huge fan of these panels.. It is only effective in sunny days and they are very expensive too..

Sorry to reply late.. if you see current scenario, solar panel really expensive and its average cost of solar panel is $3.14 per watt. That means that the total cost for a 10kW solar system would be $21,980 after the 30% Federal ITC discount..
Referenve URL https://news.energysage.com/residential-solar-panels-for-home/
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:38 am

HaroldHart wrote:
BryanCarson wrote:

Sorry to reply late.. if you see current scenario, solar panel really expensive and its average cost of solar panel is $3.14 per watt. That means that the total cost for a 10kW solar system would be $21,980 after the 30% Federal ITC discount..

Late? Nah, just 6 1/2 years. Please do not come to Lufkin, Tx and apply for an Ambulance Driver position.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:42 am

Harold, do not be discouraged from participating certainly, just remember it's Throwback Thursdays not Farback Fridays, LOL. :lol:

More to the point, I wish I could find a real DIY package panel system of small size for sale at a reasonable price. I've been wanting to build a hothouse for vegetables year round, and would like enough just run a small heater to maintain about 65 degrees in the winter for 'maters and other stuff. Anybody know anything, sing out.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:14 pm

Have you checked out the Tesla's roofing system. Doesn't look like the panels but like shingles or Spanish tiles. Fairly impressive for sure. Maybe by the time I'd ready to do a tear off
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
fatbackjones
Pilgrim

Postby fatbackjones » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:53 pm

Rambo wrote:
HaroldHart wrote:
BryanCarson wrote:

Late? Nah, just 6 1/2 years. Please do not come to Lufkin, Tx and apply for an Ambulance Driver position.

As an East Texan, I doubt you have to worry about people moving to Lufkin for anything.

Return to “General Discussion”