reverse flow smoker

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

highpockets77
Wrangler

reverse flow smoker

Postby highpockets77 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:22 pm

heard alot bout this can someone explain how it works maybe draw a diagram been wantn to build one thanks :D
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Re: reverse flow smoker

Postby JamesB » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:32 pm

Here is a diagram I found... As you can see it is pretty simple... Firebox on one side. Plate that runs from firebox side to just short of the far end allowing smoke/heat to travel under the plate and then back across the top of the food to the exhaust stack, that is also on the firebox side.
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:36 pm

James, and the point is. No hot spots, even heat top and bottom? CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:50 pm

The idea is to even out temps across the cooking chamber. Although I have been cooking on a reverse flow for the last few years (that will change now that I've got my other pit back!), I actually prefer the traditional offset. On a regular, traditional offset, you have to deal with a hot spot down by the firebox. On the reverse flow, you have 3 things to deal with. There is still a hot spot on the firebox side. There is a hot spot where the reverse flow plate ends and the heat/smoke rises and you have the radiant heat from the plate itself.
pony express USER_AVATAR
Pony Express
Outlaw

Postby Pony Express » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:54 pm

now i had wondered about those very things James. Thanks for reinforcing what I was already thinking.
Charmglo gasser,
New Braunfels offset smoker
Custom trailer pit offset smoker

Git-er done
GIG EM
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:50 am

Then the turning plates would be a better choice for a more even heat? CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
fr8 train USER_AVATAR
FR8 Train
Bandolero

Postby FR8 Train » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:23 am

We had a standard offset and then put tuning plates in our new pit and wow.....I recommend them for anyone. We have it setup where the top of the upright and door right next to the firebox are 4 degrees apart. Can't beat it. Although I have not used reverse flow I imagine it has a similar effect.....James would be the authority on these and I would trust that his comments above would be the most beneficial.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:47 am

I cooked on a Lang for years and it produced great Q. I think how the insides are made on a reverse flow makes the biggest difference how it will cook. One of the main reasons I prefer a traditional off-set is the reverse flow is a fuel hog. It eats a lot more wood.
Both will have the hot-spot by the firebox, both will have the radiant heat from the tube or the tuning plates, and the hot spot at the end of the tube on a reverse flow can easily be controlled by raising or lowering the trailer tongue.

So, which is best. :dont:

Depends on who you talk to. :D Both styles have their devoted followers. :D But in the end, it all comes down to personal preference and learning the quirks and how your smoker cooks the best. :D
Jim
bluz USER_AVATAR
Bluz
Outlaw

Postby Bluz » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:31 am

Highpockets, I build my pits with the option of both Reverse and traditional offset cooking. I baffle the traditional so that I can not only do reverse, but so I dont have to heat up my upright if I dont want to. Now I have mine with tuning plates and prob will never do without again. It just allows me to hold a very even temp anywhere in my pit, with a little higher where the heat and smoke turn to go back across the meat. Several members here have been there when I was cooking, and it performed well to their liking, as well as mine. May not be for all, but it does do a great job for me.
Bluz

Bluz Q and Custom Cooking
Custom Trailer Pit(Mattie)
Weber Grill
Amana Gas Grill
Weber 22" WSM

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”