Stubbs BBQ Sauce

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:34 am

Dats their pork marinade is really good, especially on butts. I use it once in awhile
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:44 am

The Stubbs was pretty darn good stuff. I got the original flavor thinking that the mild would be, well mild. And the Mrs don't like too much heat so the Spicy wasn't in the cards this time around.

SC, I might have to try that marinade for butts.

Would I buy another bottle of Stubbs..... Without reservation or purpose of evasion the answer is YES. And that's alot coming from me.

And I'm not against trying some the fine sauces offered here on the Texas BBQ Forum. It's just that I don't plan ahead too good when it comes to groceries.....The store is only 2 miles away. :lol:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:47 am

For my family, Stubbs isn't bad. But it's pretty much take-or leave for most bottled sauces, usually too sweet or "middle-of-the-road" generic. If you can, try the spicy Stubbs version. I can take or leave the original, but the spicy ain't bad, IMO.

Next mass bottled sauces for me to try will be Cattlemen's, original and spicy. They were on sale, heard good things, so I thought I'd give 'er a shot. We'll see how it works out.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:51 am

If/when you foil the butts just pour a little marinade over the butts and cook until done. It's pretty good.
catfishd USER_AVATAR
catfishd
Pilgrim

Postby catfishd » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:04 pm

Stubbs has been around for awhile. If I buy bbq this is the sauce I buy. Spicy for me and original for the family. I dont use the marinades. Has good wings sauce inspired me to make my own sauce now though :lol:
porkbutt
Pilgrim

Re: Stubbs BBQ Sauce

Postby porkbutt » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:59 pm

It's good stuff if you mix it with a little catsup, apple cider vinegar, Woody's Cooking Sauce, and just a smidgen of Franks Hot sauce. You'll have to figure the portions to suit your taste, but it's really worth it! Good luck from the ol porkbutt. :D
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:30 am

porkbutt wrote:It's good stuff if you mix it with a little catsup, apple cider vinegar, Woody's Cooking Sauce, and just a smidgen of Franks Hot sauce. You'll have to figure the portions to suit your taste, but it's really worth it! Good luck from the ol porkbutt. :D

Hey porkbutt! Welcome to the forum. When ya get a chance, wander on over to the Wanted Posters section and tell us a bit about yerself.
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Re:

Postby SteerCrazy » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:03 am

JamesB wrote:Our all around go to sauce is Head Country. Used to really like a sauce called Sadler's, but can't find it around here anymore...

Lately, I've become very fond of a sauce called Rufus Teague's. Comes in a pint sized whiskey type bottle... a bit of sweet with a bit of heat... good stuff!

James.

Just went and googled it, the type we've been buying is the Touch O' Heat...

http://www.rufusteague.com/

I 2nd that. Rufus Teague's is good and the hot is hot
texstarjim USER_AVATAR
TexstarJim
Pilgrim

Postby TexstarJim » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:31 pm

Back in the mid 80's I stopped at a truck stop in Tennessee and tried their special; which happned to be a bbq plate. Yea, I know, anyone ordering bbq at a truckstop is taking their life in their own hands........lol. But actually, when the waitress brought the plate of meat out, it was some pretty decent ribs and brisket. What blew me away was the ugly looking bbq sauce she set down on the table. I asked her, do you have any bbq sauce besides this watery looking orange stuff? She insisted I try it before passing judgment.

I tried some with her standing there and I could not believe my taste buds. It was the best bbq sauce I have ever tried. I used almost the full bottle and then asked her if I might get the recipe. She told me she doubted it but would ask the cook. Later she came out with a photocopied recipe of this sauce and I thanked her.

When I got home, I cooked up some of this stuff to make sure.........and to my delight, it was a real recipe and tasted just like the stuff I had had in Tennessee. Watery looking orange crap that is as ugly as my second wife...........but I have never tasted anything better. Someday I have plans to market this sauce, but haven't had the time.

In the meantime, I use Head Country to get me by.......
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:50 pm

Well, glad somebody dug this thread up. Now I still like Rufus Teague's BBQ sauce and still have about 1/2 of a bottle in the fridge that I really need to use up.

Of late, I have found a new favorite sauce. It's the one that can be found at www.sucklebusters.com. Now I'm gonna tell ya the honest to goodness truth, when I first tried this Sucklebusters sauce right out of the bottle, I thought was that it was just too sweet... Almost didn't try it on any meat... Sure glad that I did 'cause it is now my favorite sauce. It's sweet, tangy with just a small spicy bite... Good stuff I tell ya!
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:40 am

OK Texstar, good post but where is the recipe? I don't know if we can believe you or not without the how to. CF :lol:
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
big ed USER_AVATAR
Big Ed
Outlaw

Postby Big Ed » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:44 pm

Hey Texstar,If you got that recipe over 25 years ago,you should share it.Youll never market the sauce,you would have done it by now.DO THE RIGHT THING!!!!lol
Can't Beat A Drum!!!

Big Ed BBQ
https://www.facebook.com/BigEdBbq
Custom elf Pit (UDS on Steriods)
Water Tower pit
PK Grill
22'' weber kettle
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:17 pm

Thanks James -> and I agree, any recipe over 25 years old should be shared! Inquiring minds want to know.

;)
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:22 am

I'll pay you twice what you paid for it :wink: :lol:

TexstarJim Wrote: I tried some with her standing there and I could not believe my taste buds. It was the best bbq sauce I have ever tried. I used almost the full bottle and then asked her if I might get the recipe. She told me she doubted it but would ask the cook. Later she came out with a photocopied recipe of this sauce and I thanked her.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:29 am

" Someday I have plans to market this sauce "

After this long, he must be waiting for the guy who gave him the recipe to pass so he doesn't have to share the profits or have any legal battles. :shock: :lol: :lol:
Jim

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”