How often do you clean your smoker?

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

How often do you clean your smoker?

Postby Gator » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:36 am

Come 'on admit it, how often?

Do you clean the inside walls? how so?

I am curious since I rarely clean mine. :oops: I keep the grates clean, the water pan gets cleaned occasionally, and I scoop out ashes from the fire box...Am I supposed to clean the walls?
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
puff USER_AVATAR
Puff
Bandolero

Postby Puff » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:45 am

On my Char Griller I clean the grates and scrape the walls of the cooking chamber(lightly) to remove some of the gunk build up. I also re oil the firebox after each cook. On my WSM I clean the grates and empty the ash pan, that's it.
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:52 am

Is the tar buildup a health issue?
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
burnt food dude USER_AVATAR
Burnt Food Dude
Bandolero

Postby Burnt Food Dude » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:50 am

I usually clean the outsides of my WSMs every other time I use them. The insides once a year.

I clean the inside of my grills more often. When it looks like there is a grease build up I clen them. Don't want a grease fire in my kettle.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:50 pm

I clean the water pan and the grates every time. The walls about once every 3 months. On the Spicewine it's easy--I just let the water out of the pan and open the vents all the way when I'm done cooking. The temp will go up to around 450-500 and then when it cools wipe it down. :wink:
Jim
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:58 pm

Einstein has never had liquid applied to the inside walls. Instruction manual was pretty explicit about that. I clean the grate before every use along with cleaning out the fire box.

With the Aussie Gasser, it gets a thorough once over every year. Grates cleaned before and after every use (cast iron) and the grease pit as needed.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
big mike USER_AVATAR
Big Mike
Cowboy

Postby Big Mike » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:24 pm

The chargriller (which is my grill) gets scraped out once a year.

For the smoker, all I do is scrape off any big chunks from the racks.
Mike

Eagle River BBQ
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:49 pm

I give my gasser a good cleaning once or twice a year. Let's me check all the parts, get any grees build-up, etc. Between times I brush the grates before and after cooks and knock any bigger pieces off the lid.

The kettle gets a thorough cleaning 3-4 times a year. Other than that, it's same as the gasser.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
puff USER_AVATAR
Puff
Bandolero

Postby Puff » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:13 pm

Gator wrote:Is the tar buildup a health issue?

Good question, but not sure of the answer. I never thought of it as tar, seasoning sounds better.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon May 07, 2007 5:03 pm

I took a bristle brush to the inside lid of the old-new cooker before I installed the gasket. Got at least 2 cups of god knows how old crud off it. Who knows if it'll be that clean again :shock: 8)
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Mon May 07, 2007 5:33 pm

I remove my grates and burn off the grease and chunks, brush and re-coat with vegetable oil, light a low fire and let er re-season. I have quite a bit of rust after all has burned off and brushed. Anybody got any ideas as to how to stop the rust? Only shows after I do all listed above....dj
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Mon May 07, 2007 5:46 pm

You burn off the old grease, then brush it down, then re-season, right? It sounds like it might need a little better brushing before re-seasoning. not saying you are not cleaning it good. sounds like there is still some rust left on the metal and it's getting seasoned over it. :dont: maybe take an elec wheel brush and really get the metal shiny before re-seasoning. just a thought. :D
Jim
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon May 07, 2007 5:54 pm

Sell it to SC (he's always buying new cookers) and Larry will set you up with a new Primo that will never rust :bow: :smokin: :lol:
Deputy Dave

dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Mon May 07, 2007 6:05 pm

Probably right Jim, I haven't done that to this point, but probably will next time I clean em'....normally jus don't have the time......Dats, I need a bit more space than a primo offers, but thanks for the advice.....Looking at a Jacks Old South commercial unit, but jus lookin at this point....Need another pit that I can burn lump and wood and not have to nurse the fire all night....check it out.....dj
http://brittsbarbecue.com/html/jack_s_o ... okers.html
http://djstexasstylebbq.com

Caldwell, Texas Native
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Mon May 07, 2007 6:22 pm

DJ, those are really nice smokers. :D If you are in the looking stage, take a look at the Spicewine. Jay has a pic of a large custom unit they built on the custom smoker page, it's the first one. similar to the Jack's old south smoker. One thing I like about the Spicewine is each side can be used independently of the other.

http://www.spicewineironworks.com/
Jim

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”