Sausage stuffers

Sausage making and curing meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:34 pm

super8mm wrote:So JamesB are you saying hind sight is 20/20?? :lol:

Yep... The 5lber works great, ya just gotta stop and refill it more often...
stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Postby Stan41 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:08 am

Good Morning:

What is wrong with getting one of the old cast iron Enterprise stuffers, shining it up, and using it? They will last for several lifetimes, no problems with plastic anything, and are as heavy as lead.
Stan
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:09 am

super8mm wrote:
DATsBBQ wrote:I have a tinned plunger style Weston (3#). Works well for me. They're about $50.00

I like the kiss idea, do you ever see you wish it would hold more?

I usually make up sausage in 5# batches so its no big deal for me to have to fill it twice.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
super8mm USER_AVATAR
super8mm
Cowboy

Postby super8mm » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:52 pm

one thing I am not sure of is how much I would make at one time but if I was to make some good summer sausage or braughtworst I could go throught several pounds a week at work, not to say they are a bunch of chow hounds but if the shoe fits I guess they have to wear it :D
"He was ugly, strong and had dignity" by Marion Robert Morrison
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:30 pm

Stan41 wrote:Good Morning:

What is wrong with getting one of the old cast iron Enterprise stuffers, shining it up, and using it? They will last for several lifetimes, no problems with plastic anything, and are as heavy as lead.
Stan

I have looked into that too Stan and the ones on Ebay go for enough that by the time you get the good gasket and nozzles you have spent well more than the Northern Tool 15# unit. If a person were to hit garage sales and flea markets it is quite possible that one could be acquired quite reasonably. I have a friend that picked one up down in the Houston area but to him it is just a fireplace hearth decoration. The upside is you could use the Enterprise for a juicer too should you want to make wine or cider.
tarde venientibus ossa....
stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Postby Stan41 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:40 pm

I have picked up a couple of them at estate auctions or garage sales. (can't remember where). Think I gave $50.00 for a big one and $30.00 for a smaller one. One thing about it, they should last forever.
Stan
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:42 pm

Here is what I use:
To Grind the meat
To Stuff

Had an electric grinder. Busted it on the 2nd batch. Since it was on close-out, the store wouldn't take it back :x I don't make enough sausage to justify a high dollar grinder with metal gears, so these suit me just fine. Might take a little longer, but whats the hurry?
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
super8mm USER_AVATAR
super8mm
Cowboy

Postby super8mm » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:51 pm

I found where Calela's had what they call a Meat-Processing Bundle (Slicer, Grinder, Stuffer and a DVD) but for about $120 less I could go to Northern Tool for about the same thing.

Has anyone tried Pawn Shops for stuff?
"He was ugly, strong and had dignity" by Marion Robert Morrison

Return to “Sausage and Cured Meats”