Need help with Chili for Thanksgiving !!

Anything, everything and all things chili. Cowboys like chili!

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

brandon schick USER_AVATAR
Brandon Schick
Rustler

Need help with Chili for Thanksgiving !!

Postby Brandon Schick » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:21 pm

Ok, yall have read my chili posts... Well the family is going to be in town tomorrow and I will be cooking chili on Friday. Below are the ingredients I think I want to work around. You guys gotta help me out on this one so I can impress my Uncle who is a food guru !! :stir:

As always I apppreciate all your feedback, but now Im really gonna need it !! :goof:

2 lbs hamburger meat (browned)
1 can pinto beans (with juice)
1 can kidney beans (with juice)
1 onion
Jalapenos (dont know how much yet)
1 Can stewed tomatos (with juice)
SB Chili Seasoning (dont know how much yet)
Brandon Schick
Rustler

Postby Brandon Schick » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:27 pm

Oh, and will this feed 7 people or should I double it??

Thanks Yall , cant wait to heare your input !!
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:29 pm

Just thinking outloud. Since your uncle is a food guru skip the burger. Instead get 2# of chuck or maybe even sirloin (select), slightly freeze and using your knife skills turn the chuck into 3/8" to 1/4 cubes. Just thinking outloud. Anyone can brown burger..... :wink:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:10 am

2 cans too many beans and not enough tomatoes. Careful with stewed tomatoes they contain sugar and in chili a little sugar goes a looooooong way. Brown the meat in the same pot the chili will be made in and I agree with Dats on what kind of meat. I personally like some Anaheim chiles in the mix too (or bell pepper).
Actually why not just work off of Gator's excellent recipe modifying only to suit your taste?
Last edited by Papa Tom on Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
tarde venientibus ossa....
Brandon Schick
Rustler

Postby Brandon Schick » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:11 am

Do you mean kinda like beef tip type chunks of meat ??

I was thinking of using the actual chili meat but some have said burger meat is just as good if not better. I really dont know the difference in all the meat, but would appreciate your input !!

I actually have 2 pounds of chili meat from the meat market that I was going to use in the other recipes but used hamburger instead.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:16 am

I got smoked once using chili meat it was full of gristle and ruined the pot of chili. The only way I'd use it is if I fried a patty and it passed the taste test. A person can often buy sirloin for the same price as the better hamburger and it makes better or at least more impressive chili.
tarde venientibus ossa....
Brandon Schick
Rustler

Postby Brandon Schick » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:26 am

Well Papa I like beans in my chili !! :to:

And I am using Gators Chili Seasoning for sure !! :wav:

But thanks !! :to:

Keep the ideas coming !! :bow:
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:27 am

I agree with what they said about the meat. The only time I use burger anymore is if it's venison.

I always like to add a can of Rotel tomatoes and a couple smoked (or grilled) jalepeno sausages (I use Slovacek found at Sam's, they are fully cooked so you don't even have to smoke them)

Oh, and I use beans too, what you have plus a can of black ones. 8)
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Re: Need help with Chili for Thanksgiving !!

Postby Gator » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:39 am

Brandon Schick wrote:Ok, yall have read my chili posts... Well the family is going to be in town tomorrow and I will be cooking chili on Friday. Below are the ingredients I think I want to work around. You guys gotta help me out on this one so I can impress my Uncle who is a food guru !! :stir:

As always I apppreciate all your feedback, but now Im really gonna need it !! :goof:

2 lbs hamburger meat (browned)
1 can pinto beans (with juice)
1 can kidney beans (with juice)
1 onion
Jalapenos (dont know how much yet)
1 Can stewed tomatos (with juice)
SB Chili Seasoning (dont know how much yet)

I think the number of japs is variable depending on how hot they are. I like to slice mine lengthwise, so when you get a jalapeno - you know it. :wink:

I prefer tomato soup over stewed tomatos, I think it gives it a smoother and richer base, but either works fine.

I would say about 4 TBSP seasoning ought to get you close.

I would pour in the bean juice for the entire cook (on high in a crock pot) and add the beans just before serving.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
jack2u2 USER_AVATAR
JaCK2U2
Chuck Wagon

Postby JaCK2U2 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:20 am

If I use peppers (japs, serranos or whatever) I float them. Cook the whole pepper, and then squeeze them out in a strainer over the pot. Flavor without seed and the actual pepper.
For the meat, I agree with Dats - I prefer cut meat (1/4 to 3/8 inch) for my chili. Tom is also right about chili meat. To often, it's the scrap and full of grislte and to much fat. It doesn't cost much more to use good meat, and save the whole pot of chili. Anaheims are good, also.
2 cans of beans sounds like an awful lot for 2 lbs. of meat. All in all, treat the chili like anything else you'd cook. The better the ingredients, the better the finished product, IMHO!
Jack
Jr. C's BBQ
http://www.jrcsbbqandseasonings.com" target="_blank

Homemade upright drum smoker
Backwoods Party
GSW upright (now deceased)
nice gas grill
Weber 27" grill
Weber rotisserie
mgwerks USER_AVATAR
mgwerks
Bandolero

Postby mgwerks » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:14 pm

Gotta chime in here. Use good extra-lean meat like bottom round or round steak or even chuck, but trim out every trace of fat, gristle or silver skin. Brown it well and use in place of ground meat - OBTW most "chili grind" is just thick hamburger and has way to much fat and crap in to be lean and smooth. I am an Anti-Legumist, but if you are going to use beans just don't overdo it. If you want to impress and offer a more 'custom' chili, make it without beans and serve the beans on the side, so that each person can add the amount they desire. I serve them as a side, along with the diced onion, cilantro and other stuff.

As far as seasonings, any other competitive chili cook will tell you this too - it's not only what spices and chili powder you use, it's also *when* you use them. Spices added in the beginning tend to change and become fuller-bodied, but when added at the end they retain a sharper and more focused impact. Ever notice that some people's chilis are hot on the tip of the tongue, sometimes on the sides, etc? I used to use 3 'dumps', early middle and late, so as to balance the flavor of the spices across the front, sides and back of the tongue using the same principle.

Another thing you might consider is using some chipotle chiles in adobo sauce - 2 oz. would work well in this sized batch with the other spices going in. I buzz them with a stick blender in a small bowl to liquefy the peppers in the sauce, then add it to the pot early in the game. Some garlic or garlic powder might also round out the flavor balance, but as I don't know what's in the SB stuff, I hesitate to recommend a bunch of dry seasonings.

Whenever I get home I'll post up my 'standard' chili recipe. Not just another hot dish, but full-bodied with balanced flavor and heat across the palate.

Mark
Visit my Cooking Blog.

The Armada:
22.5" WSM
MES 30" shorty
42"x24" & 36"x16" stick burners
1966 CharBroil charcoal grill
Weber 18 1/2" Silver
Sam's 32-inch Stainless gas grill (it was free!)
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:41 pm

Hey Brandon... Sounds like a good start. The only thing that I would change is maybe the Rotel instead of stewed tomatoes. I would also wait towards the end of the cook before adding the peppers.

Let us know how it goes and remember the pics! :lol:
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

mgwerks USER_AVATAR
mgwerks
Bandolero

Postby mgwerks » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:48 am

Posted 'heritage' chili recipe here.
Visit my Cooking Blog.

The Armada:
22.5" WSM
MES 30" shorty
42"x24" & 36"x16" stick burners
1966 CharBroil charcoal grill
Weber 18 1/2" Silver
Sam's 32-inch Stainless gas grill (it was free!)
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:36 pm

Hey Brandon... How was the chili and where are the pics?!?!?! :lol:
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

Brandon Schick
Rustler

Postby Brandon Schick » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:27 am

Well I made Rich's Taco Soup on Wednesday night and was going to make the chili Friday night . Everyone liked the taco soup so much they wanted it againinstead of chili...

I used most of the ingredient for the chili in thesecond batch of ts but thats okk cause I wanted to try some better meat in teh chili anyways. I will be making the chili sometime this week and will keep yall posted.

Return to “Chili Heads”