What's in a name?

This is a where news and announcements are posted and questions on how to use the forum.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Would you buy a quality built and crafted pit even if it was not a "name brand" product?

Yes
96%
No
4%

Total votes: 24
txngent USER_AVATAR
txngent
Bandolero

What's in a name?

Postby txngent » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:44 am

I have been working on expanding my outdoors business to include my love of bbq. I plan on carrying a small line of bbq pits. I know all the big boy names out there as I have shopped for years looking for the ultimate comp rig. I don't want to target that market. My target market is people that have a "non-comp" passion for great grill, pit, and smoke final product.

What I am doing is designing a series of 4 units.... a grill that you can also indirect cook with, a offset , a offset with upright, and a offset cabinet smoker. Also, I have a trailer pit in the works. They will be built by Texans in TEXAS... no Mexico or China products here! I will contract out the builds with quality controlled inspections. This will keep the overhead down as I don't have the labor or production facility expenses.

Again, I am not trying to compete with the big names as much as I am trying to offer a affordable line of quality units. So, I am not posting to ask for input about if I can make money or not... or the been there done that comments. Also, I am not trying to get into the taking a piece of the pie away conversations.

I would like your opinions as passionate bbq'ers on name brands. I know that the name can offer a history of quality or crappy. I am asking you, "if a product has great craftmanship, without all the fancy names, special paints, and special effects would you buy it? If it was made of quality steel with the same 1/4" thickness and the same design (or better) and was less expensive would you buy it?
One Backwoods Fatboy, One Traeger Texas Grill, just looking for a trailer!
Randy
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:53 am

I would if the design and workmanship met my needs and wants. :D
Jim
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:58 am

Brand names dont equal quality or usefulness in my book. I buy what works.

I think a big question (for us smaller folks - :wink: ) is; how can you get your product in front of potential buyers compared to the marketing and distribution $$$$ spent buy the big brands.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
ruger686 USER_AVATAR
ruger686
Rustler

Postby ruger686 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:23 am

Never really was a "brand name" kind of guy. I look at quality and workmanship first and foremost, then I take a look at what others say about the product.
-Bob

"Y'all can go to heck. I'm going to Texas." -Davy Crockett
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:54 pm

As the others said, I don't care who's name is on it as long as it is a quality piece.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:59 pm

Utility and quaility are what I look at. If it doesn't do what I need it to do, I have not use for it. If it will do what I need it to do, but isn't built well then I'll pass on it.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
txngent USER_AVATAR
txngent
Bandolero

Postby txngent » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:36 pm

So far, this question is being responded to exactly as I would imagine. Thanks for all your opinions, and please keep them coming.

As far as the marketing issues, I am not going to run with the big boys of the custom pits at the comps and events. I am actually working off my distributors national coverage in the hunting equipment industry. He does tons of national hunting magazine(s) advertisements, as well as hunting and fishing expos. My website is linked off of his and just with his products I generate quite a few sales. I am working on my new site design to officially launch in a week or two. I don't want all the business, nor a lot of the business.... I just want good business. That is why I branched off of the car dealership and added Conroe Outdoors. Seems like I am a lot happier, with a little money in my pocket to boot!

My targeted audience is the ones that don't want to buy a "bolt together" sheet metal pit from a mega mark or sporting goods store... but are too intimidated to step into a custom pit location.

Basically, a guy (or gal) like me.... loves to bbq, but is always looking for the brisket and rib sales in the weekly paper. 8)
Randy
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:51 pm

Count me in with the rest of these guys. My pit pretty much proves your philosophy as it was built by a Father and Son fab shop down in Clifton, Texas. Got Xcellent design and quality. Friend up here has a $20K+ from a Houston real BIG Name and I'll take mine any day.
"Advertise" 'em on EBAY, just put in a "information" phone number and You'll most likely be surprised at how many inquiries ya get. I drove 2300 miles to pick up mine....
Good Luck to ya.
dj
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
brandon schick USER_AVATAR
Brandon Schick
Rustler

Postby Brandon Schick » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:18 pm

Absolutelly !!!
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:51 pm

When I buy something that I am not a SME on I always go to the little guy first because I know he has to be really knowledgeable about the competition and I ask questions. I will then check out the big guys knowing they have a reputation to uphold then take the info I've learned and make a buying decision.
tarde venientibus ossa....
txngent USER_AVATAR
txngent
Bandolero

Postby txngent » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:40 am

Well, I wanted to first tell all of ya'll thanks for the input. I had to drag my heels for a couple of months on this project. Between dealing with what Ike left behind, and all the paperwork (red tape) back and forth to my government just to tell me my kind is not eligible for any of there advertised "support to the victims". Oh, but they do however appreciate all my annual support to their funding stuff like fly swatters to the Ethiopians. :evil:

Anyway, I wanted to follow up to let ya'll know that the input really helped me in my decision.

I wanted to add to my line of stuff I sell with my Conroe Outdoors business, a bbq section. I have been bbq'n for a long time and have seen all types of pits. Being just outside of Houston, I am very close to (in my opinion) the best pit manufacturers in the business. I didn't want to even try to get into the comp pit business, but rather have a comp style and performance patio pit line. I thought that I could get a local welding company to manufacture a line of pits that I could sell at a lower price.

The problems I came into was that the cost were still up there and the quality of design was less than I hoped for having. So again, another plan shot down before it even left the ground.

Okay so I don't want to release the rest of the information till the site and product is up, but I have a line of pits coming out. They will carry the name of a name brand custom pit maker here in Houston and are going to be very fairly priced. I hope that 01-01-09 is going to represent more than a new year... like all retailers.

Thanks again for all the input, it really helped!
Randy
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:33 pm

Good luck Randy, looking forward to the new pits!
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
txngent USER_AVATAR
txngent
Bandolero

Postby txngent » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:25 pm

Thanks Gator.... now only if I had some spice guy that makes gift baskets, so I could give them with every new pit sold..... :?: :idea: 8)

More to come soon!
Randy

Return to “TBBQF News, Announcements & Help Using the Forum”