Burn Ban in North Texas

This is a where news and announcements are posted and questions on how to use the forum.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jerrykr USER_AVATAR
jerrykr
Pilgrim

Burn Ban in North Texas

Postby jerrykr » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:51 am

I've been gathering up parts and pieces to make a UDS. The barrel I have has the food coating that I need to burn out.

I didn't have time to actually start on this the past couple of months, and now it's so dry we have Burn Bans in the area. :(

I guess I have to wait until the rains come back to start a fire in the barrel??

Where is Donna when we need her?????
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:21 am

Find you a Harbor Freight weed burner and get after it!
jerrykr USER_AVATAR
jerrykr
Pilgrim

Postby jerrykr » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:06 am

Saw that one coming... :D

So, is the $20 one good enough, or do you need the $33 model?

Also have any idea how much propane one barrel would take?

Looks like this would work, but add $30-40 to the cost of making the UDS. I guess those new barrels are not so expensive after all.

On the other hand, I have a bunch of scrap wood I need to get rid of, but the fines could really up the price of the UDS. :(
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:17 am

jerrykr wrote:Saw that one coming... :D

Looks like this would work, but add $30-40 to the cost of making the UDS. I guess those new barrels are not so expensive after all.

On the other hand, I have a bunch of scrap wood I need to get rid of, but the fines could really up the price of the UDS. :(

Burn bans don't usually apply to self contained BBQ equipment, there's you loop hole. Here, they apply only to open fires (read camp fires).
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:46 pm

jerrykr wrote:Saw that one coming... :D

I've just got the cheaper one, the one with out the igniter and it works very well. I just hook it to my 20lb propane bottle and it's good to go for a good while.
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:13 pm

JamesB wrote:I've just got the cheaper one, the one with out the igniter and it works very well. I just hook it to my 20lb propane bottle and it's good to go for a good while.

Same here
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:07 pm

jerrykr wrote:Looks like this would work, but add $30-40 to the cost of making the UDS. I guess those new barrels are not so expensive after all.

Look at it as an investment that you needed to make for your Q hobby and not a line item on the UDS build sheet! :goof:

I did pay $38.00 for the new, unlined, open headed barrels when I built my UDSs... seemed worth it to me!
jerrykr USER_AVATAR
jerrykr
Pilgrim

Postby jerrykr » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:28 pm

thanks for the info on the burners.

I have a nice barrel, but I wish I'd have found the new one for $38. Good price James.

Although I agree that burning the barrel with wood scraps would not really present a fire hazard in my own yard, a lot of people in surrounding areas use burn barrels to get rid of their trash. I think if it came to it, the cops would view my barrel as a trash barrel, and that would not come out good.

thanks for the thoughts,

-=- Jerry -=-
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:06 pm

bowhnter wrote:
JamesB wrote:I've just got the cheaper one, the one with out the igniter and it works very well. I just hook it to my 20lb propane bottle and it's good to go for a good while.

Same here

Yep, the cheap one works fine. :D It's also great for lighting the charcoal baskets in UDSs and other pits later on. :D 8)

Best part is you get to play with fire. :twisted: :twisted: :D 8)
Jim
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:20 pm

JamesB wrote:Look at it as an investment that you needed to make for your Q hobby and not a line item on the UDS build sheet! :goof:

I'll second this. I bought the torch with the lighter (lighter doesn't work, don't waste your money) to burn the barrel. Now that that's done, the torch works to light the coal basket.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
tannehill kid USER_AVATAR
Tannehill Kid
Rustler

Postby Tannehill Kid » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:34 pm

I caught the weed burner at Harbor Freight with the igniter on sale for 27 dollars. Mine has not failed me yet.
Geaux Tigers
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:47 pm

I've had the cheaper one for 3 years now and it works really well to fire up the kettles and the Belsons. Even used on the Gator pit on a cold rainy day. Also use it crisp up the skin on whole hogs just before puling it off the fire! Oh yeah I did use it once, this year to torch some nasty weeds in the garden... :lol: 8)

a hui hou,
honu41

Return to “TBBQF News, Announcements & Help Using the Forum”