Internet source for wood chunks

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

SunnyBryan
Pilgrim

Internet source for wood chunks

Postby SunnyBryan » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:32 pm

Just looking for a couple of Internet sources for ordering a variety of wood chunks. All I can get locally is hickory. Everything else is tiny chips. Any recommendations?
Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that’s bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:39 pm

Guess I'm blessed cause folks keep dropping off branches from apple trees and the like. That and my stack of oak for the woodstove, well there are always smaller pieces through out.

You might to check with firewood sellers, they might have some hard woods. And cabinet makings shops usually have a bunch of scraps laying around (Cherry, Walnut etc)

Got a feeling that postage on a bunch of chunks will cost more than the chunks themselves. Went to mail a 13oz letter last week. Uncle Sam want nearly $4.00. Decided to drop it off as it was only a few miles out of my way.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:12 pm

I guess I'm fotrunate as well... I use mainly pecan and oak and can get all I need from the in-laws farm...

Here is one place you can find the chunks... As mentioned, shipping will probably not be cheap.

http://www.bbq-grill-smokers.com/BBQ-Woods.html

Good luck!
SunnyBryan
Pilgrim

That was good advice...

Postby SunnyBryan » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:37 pm

Being up here in Washington State, where apples are plentiful, and after reading your replies, I called a buddy who I thought might be able to help me and lo and behold I've got apple chunks to go pick up, as many as I can carry.

I did look at that website so thanks for that lead. As you say the shipping pretty much kills that deal.

Thanks again.
Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that’s bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Re: That was good advice...

Postby JamesB » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:44 pm

SunnyBryan wrote:I called a buddy who I thought might be able to help me and lo and behold I've got apple chunks to go pick up, as many as I can carry.

Well that is great news! Before long, folks will be bringing you more wood than you need trying to get you to cook for them!
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:57 pm

Aloha SunnyBryan,

I also live in WA (Everett) and I get alder and maple pretty easy since I have friends in the tree trimming business. It is cut to 24 inches but I have to split and it may only be several to a dozen rounds but it does add up.

I also "cruise" the local Craigslist for free or inexpensive wood. A few months ago I got a half a cord of apple already cut free for the hauling.

Buying from wood dealers not in your own locale is very expensive because of shipping.

Good luck...

a hui hou,
honu41
burnt food dude USER_AVATAR
Burnt Food Dude
Bandolero

Postby Burnt Food Dude » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:40 pm

I've order from here several times. Great clean wood. You can get the chunks in 2 sizes.

http://www.smokinlicious.com/
"All who wander are not lost.

Sometimes they just can't remember where they parked their car
."

Da Dude's new blog
Aaron
Pilgrim

Postby Aaron » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:36 am

I will second BFDs recomendation,good product.
Aaron

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”