Smoker Suggestion

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Smoker Suggestion

Postby nascarchuck » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:58 pm

My boss called me this morning and told me to find him a good smoker and he wants it by Friday.

Any suggestions on something in the $500-$700 range? I think that he is looking for an offset.

I haven't done any research yet. I thought that I would throw this out to you guys first. I will research while I am at work tonight. Hey... May as well find HIS smoker while HE is paying me, huh? :lol:
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:10 pm

I think Academy has a couple offsets in that price range.
tarde venientibus ossa....
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:10 pm

I personally prefer upright models (as opposed to offsets) because they cook more efficiently...but hey it's his money! :D
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:29 pm

Get a fancy paint job on your UDS and then sell it to him that for $700. :idea:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:37 pm

There are very few offsets that I would feel totally comfortable recommending in that price range.... Having said that, I would have him check out Academy, Bass Pro and Cabella's. They do seem to have some of the better offerings in that range. If he is new to smoking, I would try to steer him towards a WSM or UDS.

James.
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:47 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:Get a fancy paint job on your UDS and then sell it to him that for $700. :idea:

I think Dats is on to somethin here Chuck... :evilnana:
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:48 pm

Since you're almost next door to these guys http://www.gatorpit.net/backyard_pits/family_smoker.htm you might want to give 'em a call & see what they have in stock. Call Mr Klose too. He's easy to talk to too.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:00 pm

Gator wrote:
DATsBBQ wrote:Get a fancy paint job on your UDS and then sell it to him that for $700. :idea:

Don't think that didn't cross my mind! I would want to screw him at $700 though. Maybe I could sell it for $575 plus delivery fee and the fuel surcharge.

I did look at Klose and I didn't see anything under $1,000. Gator had one for $750, but do those guys have some ready built or do you have to order them?
Chuck

osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:14 pm

Doesn't Academy carry Oklahoma Joe's smokers?? That might be a good choice. :D
Jim
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:50 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:Since you're almost next door to these guys http://www.gatorpit.net/backyard_pits/family_smoker.htm you might want to give 'em a call & see what they have in stock. Call Mr Klose too. He's easy to talk to too.

Hey Dave, you ever been to Tx? Ft Worth to Houston is only like 250miles... wait, your right that IS next door! :lol: :lol:

I would have recommended Gator, but I don't think he could get one by this weekend.

Sure would be easier to pick with a little more time and a few more, other folks, dollars huh... :D

Here is another website to check out. Take a look at the:
20" Wide x 40" Long Double Lid Smoker with 20" Grill Firebox: SALE PRICE $889.99

http://www.budgetbbqpits.com/products.htm

It's actually the same Gator Pits outfit as mentioned above. I don't know all of the differences between the regular Gator Pits and the Budget models, but I've seen and cooked on a real Gator backyard pit and it is a work of art!

James.
ikiru USER_AVATAR
ikiru
Wrangler

Postby ikiru » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:20 am

Go craigslist!

There can be some great deals out there for used (I call them pre-seasoned) smokers, especially offsets. I got mine for $50. All it needed was a little elbow grease and a new paint job and it was better than new!

Good Luck!

-ikiru

*enjoy the sauce*
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:29 am

nascarchuck wrote:
Gator wrote:

Don't think that didn't cross my mind! I would want to screw him at $700 though. Maybe I could sell it for $575 plus delivery fee and the fuel surcharge.

I did look at Klose and I didn't see anything under $1,000. Gator had one for $750, but do those guys have some ready built or do you have to order them?

Chuck, I know that Klose keeps some backyard style pits in stock, doesn't hurt to give him a call. Who knows, might have a used one to sell
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:06 am

SteerCrazy wrote:
nascarchuck wrote:
Gator wrote:

Chuck, I know that Klose keeps some backyard style pits in stock, doesn't hurt to give him a call. Who knows, might have a used one to sell

And it's just a hop skip and jump away, so says the Mrs who was stationed at Ft Hood once upon a time :roll:
Deputy Dave

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:54 pm

These are in Clebume Texas? Might be next door?
http://www.trampolinesales.com/cgi-loca ... on&key=208
Deputy Dave

nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:42 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:These are in Clebume Texas? Might be next door?
http://www.trampolinesales.com/cgi-loca ... on&key=208

I have heard of those LifeTyme smokers. Never heard how good they are.

Bossman told me that he was going to Cabelas today. I will call him tonight to see if he bought something.

BTW, I emailed Ritch at Gator asking about the Budget pits and this was his reply:

Chuck, they are custom ordered as well. Yes, I own Budget BBQ Pits. Same construction and quality as a Gator Pit. Just less custom features standard in the price listed. Can't have one by the weekend, however. On a Budget BBQ Pit, you are looking at approximately 3 weeks as compared to the more custom Gator Pits, which run 8-10 weeks. Let me know if I can assist with anything else. Thanks, Ritch
Chuck

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”