ECB mods, w/ PICS

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

aks801 USER_AVATAR
aks801
Rustler

ECB mods, w/ PICS

Postby aks801 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:37 pm

Well, after two cooks with the ECB I had experienced for myself what many others have already said: it can be hard to keep the heat high enough long enough. So, I figured I'd modify the charcoal pan by drilling some holes in the bottom, and then placing a grate in the pan (to keep a source of air directly underneatch the fuel).

Nice, right? Wrong! I mistakenly drilled the holes in the WATER PAN! Doh! :roll: Oh well, I'd heard that the better route was to use sand or clay in the water pan, so we'll have to go that route.

That's more like it. Holes in fuel pan.

Here you can see the fuel pan, holes in bottom, Weber grate fitting in nicely. I found a saucer that goes with a clay pot and wrapped that in foil, and it fit nicely into the water pan.

While I was at it, I'd decided to add an actual temperature gauge, as opposed to the Warm/Ideal/Hot gauge supplied by Brinkmann. This required drilling the right sized hole, then just putting in the gauge.

I did a cook that afternoon, and can state that the mods made an appreciable difference. The coals stayed lit longer, maintained a good temperature longer, and generally required less monitoring by me. Of course, having a good temp gauge has obvious benefits.

Still can't really dial in a temperature, since there are no bottom and top vents to finagle as with the WSM. But, if you want to smoke some meat and aren't ready yet to pay for a WSM, then by all means get an ECB and do this type of mod (as has certainly been documented elsewhere).
alan in Katy, TX

Weber OTS Kettle. Weber 22.5 WSM
Gone but not forgotten: ECB
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:24 pm

Calibrate that Thermometer if you haven't done so already. I started off with an ECB and had it for about 3 years until the wind wrapped it around a pine tree.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:32 pm

Cool mods! I've never messed with the Brinkman bullets, but it looks like you've got 'em figured out...

Now, when you want to take that next step, build yourself a UDS! All the comforts of a WSM without the price... :lol:

James.
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:31 pm

Well them are some fine looking holes. Should be close to about perfect to let some air to the fire. Good job. I think them cookers is to the bbq world whut a lever action .30 .30 rifle is to deer hunting. That little pit has prob cooked mo good bbq than any other model pit in the world. Will wager .30 30's has kilt the most legal Bambis which has been slain in N. Americka. Canada too eh? Now if we count all Bambi's including the illegals..I would have to bet on the .22 Long Rifle :oops: If it really the pitmeister which counts mo than the pit..its a winner. In fact I got grandkids who can make much mo betta bbq on one of them thangs than can be found anywhere N. of Cooper's at Llano. Now that only be because they got good mesquite wood down there and we aint.

bigwheel
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:36 am

I had a neighbor who had one of those smokers and he actually was able to make a couple vents on the bottom he was able to open and close, it was pretty cool.

If you want to go back to water, you can get another water pan from Bass Pro Shop. If you don't have one in your town you can get one on-line, fairly cheap. I believe they are brinkman water pans too, they also have charcoal pans.

Some guys down your way talk about Academy, never been there but doesn't hurt to check
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:59 am

If Academy aint got pans...know BBQ Galore has em and some hardware stores carry them. I have a little Ace hardware store right behind my house they has pans and an amazing assortment of other outdoor cooking supplies equipment etc.

bigwheel
aks801 USER_AVATAR
aks801
Rustler

Postby aks801 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:43 pm

Thanks for the tips and comments, everyone. About 4:30 tomorrow morning I'll be firing it up for a briskie.

Monsieur Dats: I'm assuming to calibrate the hot-meter I place the business end in a pan of boiling water?
alan in Katy, TX

Weber OTS Kettle. Weber 22.5 WSM
Gone but not forgotten: ECB

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”