outdoor cooker doesn't get big flame any more...

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

mnray
Pilgrim

outdoor cooker doesn't get big flame any more...

Postby mnray » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:03 pm

I had an old 2-burner outdoor cooker (table top) that I got on ebay (POC Model 60, Made in the USA Professional Model. A few weeks ago I fired it up and the flames where high and hot (over the grill). Since, it arrived nasty and dirty I thought I would clean her up. So I washed her off. Now the flames always seem to be on low heat.

So in my infamous wisdom I took a piece of wire to make sure all the burner orifices where not stopped up. Nope they were fine. I also banged the burners against the concrete (to loosen up any rust... only a small amount came out. Yes, I have propane. Any ideas? I bought a Griddle-Q to fry up some hamburgers and finally had to move to a larger pit cause I couldn't get the griddle hot enough.

Any suggestions? :deadhorse:
Mike Ray
South Houston, Texas
Chuckwagon Cooking, BBQ & Sailing
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:29 pm

You might want to check the pressure valve on the grill to see if it is stuck. And try disconnecting the propane tank and re-connecting it. The newer propane tanks with OPT valves in them have a safety in them and if you have a cooker hooked to them and open the valve on the tank too fast it will only give very low pressure to the cooker. Just crack the valve open about 1/4 turn and then open slowly. I had a tank that I had been using for a couple years do this to me. I don't know why because it had never done it before. The guy a the gas place told me sometimes they will get sensitive after a while. :D
Jim
mnray
Pilgrim

Postby mnray » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:56 pm

Thanks, I'll give it a try. The pressure valve - I assume is located on the valve that the knob is on... Should I take it apart?
Mike Ray

South Houston, Texas

osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:33 pm

The pressure valve is on the end of the gas line where you hook it to the propane tank. They are usually sealed, so don't take it apart. A couple gentle taps will usually unstick them. You can buy replacement gas line and pressure valves at Home Depot. :D
Another thing to check is for a bug or spider web in the air inlet on the burner. :D Maybe try blowing out everything with air, some crud may have lodged in something. :D
Jim
Puck
Pilgrim

Re: outdoor cooker doesn't get big flame any more...

Postby Puck » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:38 pm

mnray wrote:I had an old 2-burner outdoor cooker (table top) that I got on ebay (POC Model 60, Made in the USA Professional Model. A few weeks ago I fired it up and the flames where high and hot (over the grill). Since, it arrived nasty and dirty I thought I would clean her up. So I washed her off. Now the flames always seem to be on low heat.

So in my infamous wisdom I took a piece of wire to make sure all the burner orifices where not stopped up. Nope they were fine. I also banged the burners against the concrete (to loosen up any rust... only a small amount came out. Yes, I have propane. Any ideas? I bought a Griddle-Q to fry up some hamburgers and finally had to move to a larger pit cause I couldn't get the griddle hot enough.

Any suggestions? :deadhorse:

Do you have curb side garbage pick-up??? :P

JK,..... Jim pretty much spelled it out as to what to try next. Good luck with your cooker.
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:24 am

Great advice on that safety valve. Had one do that to me one time. If the pressure builds up too rapidly or high it just slams itself shut. Seems like it was on one of my flame throwers. Replaced the little fitting and been living happily ever after.

bigwheel
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:55 pm

I just lernt sumthin didn't know bout that safety valve. So now when it happens I'll know not to bypass.
tarde venientibus ossa....
mnray
Pilgrim

Postby mnray » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:26 pm

Thanks for the information. I'll blow everything out and check the valve going to the propane tank. :)
Mike Ray

South Houston, Texas

mnray
Pilgrim

Thanks for the info

Postby mnray » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:15 pm

thanks for your responses. I replaced the propane valve and hose and now it burns like an inferno. Thanks again
Mike :D
Mike Ray

South Houston, Texas

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”