What type of Grill am I looking for.

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

mnray
Pilgrim

What type of Grill am I looking for.

Postby mnray » Wed May 21, 2008 9:03 am

I in search of a new grill. I've looked at the standard places, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. I've noticed on License to Grill Ron's grill has space for a drip pan and for placing smoke pouches over the burners. The grills I've looked at doesn't seem to have room for a drip pan. Some of them have less than 1-1/2" inches between the grill rack and the burner covers.

Any suggestions on what brand to look for? Ok, I forgot to mention that I am cheap also. Looking for something at a max of around $300.00 if possible

My previous experience has been that past grills will last about two years before rusting out... Any suggestions on that?

By the way, I'm not cheap, my wife only gives me so much of her money...
Mike Ray
South Houston, Texas
Chuckwagon Cooking, BBQ & Sailing
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed May 21, 2008 9:15 am

I only have one gasser and it's a http://www.sunshinegrills.com/products.shtml
and if I remember right it wasn't cheap but it's drip pan is HUGE~ You might have to go the charcoal route to get a quaility grill under $300.
For ceramics, the price on this http://www.camping-gear-outlet.com/camp ... h%2BEngine
is pretty good, but I've never seen a review on one :roll:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed May 21, 2008 9:15 am

BTW, Welcome to the TBBQForum :D
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Wed May 21, 2008 9:26 am

Mike I bought my gasser at Sears about 12 years ago. Admittedly its about worn out but I bought it there because Sears offers replacement parts which have kept mine going all these years.
Last edited by Gator on Wed May 21, 2008 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
Down Yonder BBQ
Rustler

Postby Down Yonder BBQ » Wed May 21, 2008 10:24 am

Some other places to look might be Academy sports, I cant say they sell gas. Now if your looking for a wood charcoal type pit you can try a Brinkman;Model 810-3040 W. There is approx 1400 sq in of cooking area and for the price its a simi nice pit. Its not a Bently but then again its not a Youro. You can take the Brinkman and turn it into Gas if ya have any mechanical ability. This is a pit that I think is nice, I have 4 monster pit/smokers. But for the size of the brinkman its nice for the price about $140.00............
It's not burnt till I say so
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Wed May 21, 2008 11:03 am

You might try Craigslist, you might find a nice Weber still having some use left...
And Welcome!
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Wed May 21, 2008 2:32 pm

This is a link to the grills used on the TV show.

http://www.napoleongrills.com/

WOW, are those grills pricey.:shock:
They may be a bit over the budget you want to stay in. :D
Jim
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Wed May 21, 2008 2:52 pm

As far as grills go, I'm a big fan of Weber products. I have 3 of the charcoal kettle grills (the oldest is about 30 years old) and a propane grill that is going on 10 years old... As mentioned above, check out Craigslist. I have seen the Weber Genesis Gas grills go for under $100 and the kettles average about ~$20... Good deals to be had if you keep an eye out...

Oh Yeah, Welcome to the forum!

James.
Last edited by JamesB on Wed May 21, 2008 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Wed May 21, 2008 5:20 pm

Can't help much, I have a gasser but I wouldn't recommend it. On the other hand a gasser would have to genuflect in my presence before I'd bless it. I like things that make more smoke and speaking of that Weber is a good name in that category. $200 or so will get you a WSM and $84 will get a kettle.

On the rust out thing repeat this solemn oath: " I will always clean the ashes and drippings out of my cookers ASAP after each cook" "Amen".
tarde venientibus ossa....
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Wed May 21, 2008 7:32 pm

Get yourself to Wally World and buy a Blue Rhino aka Uniflame model. I've had mine several years and it works great..was cheap etc. That is the same company which swaps out the propane cylinders. I figger they should know how to build one that worked. Forget about the electric ignitor and get yourself one of the stick lights. Them ignighters last about 5 mins. I have a special secret way to make em burn pellets and chunks and stuff. If you happen to buy one let me know so I can learn ya how to use it propaly:) Now if you get one of them fancy yankee yuppie models I cant help ya...but will try.

bigwheel
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Wed May 21, 2008 7:48 pm

Papa Tom wrote:On the rust out thing repeat this solemn oath: " I will always clean the ashes and drippings out of my cookers ASAP after each cook" "Amen".

That's the best advise there is. :D :D I clean mine after every cook. :D If you do, it is a lot easier to keep clean and takes less effort to clean it. :D
Jim
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Wed May 21, 2008 8:32 pm

Well guess it all depends on a person's philosophy on these kinda deals. I dont never clean mine and have a huge grease fire about every 4 or 5 cooks depending on whut has been run through previously. It get up to about a 1000 degrees or so..and smells like it melting..I say well it be going down shortly. So I open another bud or two and wait for it to calm down. If this happens in mid cook just turn off the fire and cook on the grease. Whew now..talk about a tasty steak using a gasser.

bigwheel
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Wed May 21, 2008 9:26 pm

I have cooked with wood and charcoal for over 50 years and I have owned couple of gassers. I still prefer the wood burners. Like PT said, you can get a nice "Kettle" for under $90. And it does a great job. :)

Saw a stainless steel gasser bbq at Costco today for $600. Impressive looking but I think with a kettle you will be able to do more than just grill.

a hui hou,
honu41

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”