Cooking my 1st brisket ever and it's on my USD

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

RonH
Rustler

Cooking my 1st brisket ever and it's on my USD

Postby RonH » Wed May 21, 2008 11:00 am

Got it at Lowes for 97 cents lb it was a little over 10lbs so no big deal if I mess it up. Using about 12 lbs charcoal and 2 oak logs cut to fit basket. USD holding at 244 degrees and covered it with Hoochie Mama. Fat side up. Anybody have any thoughts on what could go wrong?
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Wed May 21, 2008 11:31 am

Lowes sells brisket?!!! :shock: :?
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
RonH
Rustler

Postby RonH » Wed May 21, 2008 11:41 am

Yes this is a grocery store in these parts
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Wed May 21, 2008 11:47 am

Ahhh! I was thinking hardware store.... :lol: :lol:
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope

-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Re: Cooking my 1st brisket ever and it's on my USD

Postby Gator » Wed May 21, 2008 11:47 am

RonH wrote:Got it at Lowes for 97 cents lb it was a little over 10lbs so no big deal if I mess it up. Using about 12 lbs charcoal and 2 oak logs cut to fit basket. USD holding at 244 degrees and covered it with Hoochie Mama. Fat side up. Anybody have any thoughts on what could go wrong?

Just keep the temp steady and pull it when themometer reads about 190 - 195 degrees in the cap end of the briskie. Also, you make consider wrapping it in foil after is has been on for a while. Biggest 1st time mistakes are looking too much and pulling too soon. :wink:
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Re: Cooking my 1st brisket ever and it's on my USD

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed May 21, 2008 12:09 pm

RonH wrote:Got it at Lowes for 97 cents lb it was a little over 10lbs so no big deal if I mess it up. Using about 12 lbs charcoal and 2 oak logs cut to fit basket. USD holding at 244 degrees and covered it with Hoochie Mama. Fat side up. Anybody have any thoughts on what could go wrong?

I must be living in the wrong part of the country. I went on a brisket search yesterday. Costco had flats in cryovac @ $2.56/lb and they were mighty thin and they had "trimmed" flats for $3.69/lb. Kings and Safeway want $2.99/lb for packers that were "select" grade. Finally went an saw the good folks at Your Buthcher Frank and got a 12.78lb Choice Packer in cryovac for $2.54/lb. Prepping that bad boy tonite for a cook tomorrow.

A grill temp of 244 to 250 is about perfect for me. Your brisket will probally plateau somewhere between 160* & 170*. By plateau, I mean you will think your theremometer is broken. They can hold for several hours and sometimes even lose temp before starting to rise again. When they start to rise after the plateau is when I foil them. Sometimes add some cider, sometimes wine, sometimes beer, sometime nothing. I'll pull them at 195* and let rest for at least 30 minutes before slicing.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
RonH
Rustler

Postby RonH » Wed May 21, 2008 12:13 pm

You think cook it 3 hours then wrap it or how long? Been on sense 9:30 or so haven't looked yet but I want to
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed May 21, 2008 12:37 pm

RonH wrote:You think cook it 3 hours then wrap it or how long? Been on since 9:30 or so haven't looked yet but I want to

Looking at my Book of Smoke... :roll: ... for a ten pounder it's 6 hrs to foil and 8.5 hours over all. That is a guesstimate at best, as I've had 10 pounders take 11 hours 8)
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Wed May 21, 2008 12:48 pm

Im with Dats - 6 hours till foil if you cooking at 250. That should be plenty of smoke for the first time out...you can adjust from there on the next one.
Gator

RonH
Rustler

Postby RonH » Wed May 21, 2008 12:54 pm

Thanks DAT that's what I needed to know. Gonna wait till the 6 hour mark before looking and foiling and then will put thermometer in meet. And thanks everybody else
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Wed May 21, 2008 12:55 pm

You should be cooking by internal temp and not time. Like DATS said every piece of meat can be different and take different times to cook. Usually if you are going to foil it's done around 160* internal temp. Doing it on a UDS it will most likely cook a little faster than on an offset. Where are you reading your cooking temp from?? A probe or a side mounted thermo?? If a side mounted thermo, don't forget the center of the grate will be 25* - 30* hotter than on the sides. :D
Jim
RonH
Rustler

Postby RonH » Wed May 21, 2008 1:00 pm

I have 1 hanging from top but it's over the brisket and 1 mounted on the side top is 252 side is 240
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Wed May 21, 2008 1:15 pm

Jim I decide when to foil it by time (vs temp) to control how much smoke I put on the meat since getting it to a certian internal temp can vary greatly in cooking time.

Is there a specific reason to foil it at 160 degrees?

I decide when to pull it based on internal temperature.
Gator

osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Wed May 21, 2008 1:37 pm

There's a couple schools of thought on that. Same as foil or no foil?
This way works for me. Not that it is right or wrong. :D
The smoke ring stops forming at 140* - That has nothing to do with the amount of smoke the meat will take.. But usually the plateau is in that 160* area and the meat has gotten enough smoke by then. I foil and add some liquid inside ( apple juice, beef broth, and rub ), and put back in til it's done. I believe the foiling then helps it get through the plateau a little quicker and easier. If a person wanted more smoke in the meat, he could add a little more smoke ( add an extra chunk or 2 of wood ) or less by adding fewer chunks of wood all the way up til foiling. Once up to temp, I separate the flat from the point. The flat goes in the cooler for at least 2 hours ( 3-4 is better ) before slicing and the point goes back in the smoker for burnt ends. :D
Like I said not right or wrong just the way that works for me. :D YMMV
Jim
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Wed May 21, 2008 1:53 pm

Being that it's on the UDS with nothing between the coals and meat, you may want to flip to fat side down....just a thought using the UDS. :D (not trying to start a fat up or down debate :wink: )
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”