WSM Mods

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

WSM Mods

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri May 09, 2008 10:57 am

My shiny new WSM is schedule for delivery on Monday provided Fed Ex can find my address. I've ordered the eyelet mod kit from the BBQ Guru so I can insert the ET probes into the cooker without pinching them under the lid or in the access door. http://secure.thebbqguru.com/ProductCar ... roduct=136

Any one else have any mods that they would recommend?
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Fri May 09, 2008 11:13 am

Get some garage door handles from lowes to make it easier to lift on and off....they will mount right to the existing screws that hold the grate brackets.

The only other thing I have done is mount a thermometer in the side...not for any real purpose as I go by lid temp anyway...I wanted to be cool like the others 8) :roll:

Here are some other mods...http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/tipsfaq.html
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri May 09, 2008 5:35 pm

bowhnter wrote:Get some garage door handles from lowes to make it easier to lift on and off....they will mount right to the existing screws that hold the grate brackets.

The only other thing I have done is mount a thermometer in the side...not for any real purpose as I go by lid temp anyway...I wanted to be cool like the others 8) :roll:

Here are some other mods...http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/tipsfaq.html

And to think that I was in Lowes today to buy some lump. :banghead: Guess it will be another trip down hill on Sunday as I'm working in the morning and doing some beef ribs and fake pork ribs (country style ribs) in the afternoon for an out-of-state friend who's in town. Last ride for ceramics for next 4 or 5 cooks (or until I figure out this new cooker).

The virtualweberbullet is a great site, think I've spent enough time there over the last couple of days to get a degree :roll:

I got an ECB water pan, would you recommend using it over what comes with WSM. I've read that it's twice the capacity.

I know that most every one seems to be into the UDS craze and I'm bucking the trend but all advice from the corps of WSM vets is appreciated to be sure. :D
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Fri May 09, 2008 6:26 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:
I got an ECB water pan, would you recommend using it over what comes with WSM. I've read that it's twice the capacity.

I can't answer that question, I use sand...haven't even went to the clay pot yet, as many times as I have been to Lowes/HD... :oops:

I use about 1/3 sand in the pand wrapped in foil..easy cleanup.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
burnt food dude USER_AVATAR
Burnt Food Dude
Bandolero

Postby Burnt Food Dude » Tue May 13, 2008 5:12 pm

If you are going to use water in the pan, use the ECB water pan. You can go for long stretches of time without having to refill. Its a toss up if you use an empty pan.

What I usually do is wad up 3 or 4 pieces of foil into balls and toss them into the ECB pan. Then I cover the top of the ECB pan with foil leaving an indentation (be careful to not break the foil) in the center to catch the dripping grease. You cold do the same thing with the reguler WSM water pan.

I've experimented with the Piedmont pan set up for the ECB water pans. It doesn't do much for me except spend money on extra ECB pans. IMHO it works just as good as the foil balls and foil covering.

I like to use the ECB pans because they are a little wider than the WSM pans. Catches a bit more grease without dripping on the coals around the sides. Also, and I don't have any scientific evidence to back me up but, I feel the thinner column of hot air coming up the sides gives the inside air more agitation.

I can't comment about sand in the pan because I've never done it. However, most of the people I've talked to say you have to be careful of the radiant heat from the hot sand on the bottom rack.

RE other mods: I got the Guru thermometer that that fits in the vent hole to help keep track of the heat inside. Also I got the Guru smoking jacket and pitminder. They are great for cold weather cooking. Used them this past winter. Scored a 2nd pl Chicken and a 7th pl Brisket on a 1 degree day.
"All who wander are not lost.

Sometimes they just can't remember where they parked their car
."

Da Dude's new blog
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue May 13, 2008 6:44 pm

BFD wrote:
What I usually do is wad up 3 or 4 pieces of foil into balls and toss them into the ECB pan. Then I cover the top of the ECB pan with foil leaving an indentation (be careful to not break the foil) in the center to catch the dripping grease. You cold do the same thing with the reguler WSM water pan

I like that idea. :D

The WSM assembled without any angst or swearing. I installed the guru eyelets that allow to pass the temp probes into the cooker. Getting the garage door handles tomorrow. Even painted an arrow on the door knob to indicate where the latch is.
Deputy Dave

burnt food dude USER_AVATAR
Burnt Food Dude
Bandolero

Postby Burnt Food Dude » Tue May 13, 2008 8:33 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:The WSM assembled without any angst or swearing. I installed the guru eyelets that allow to pass the temp probes into the cooker. Getting the garage door handles tomorrow. Even painted an arrow on the door knob to indicate where the latch is.

Forgot about the about the arrow idea. Make sure you keep the nut tight on the knob. I had one that worked loose and ignored it. Now the nut is smoked / greased into place and the latch is a little, well, a lot loose. I have to be careful or the door falls off easily. I have to work on it one of these days.

Before I forget, you might have to work on the handles to get them to fit. They are a bit too wide but they can be bent to fit. I didn't install handles because they have to be mounted vertically to use existing holes. I don't want to drill extra holes from fear of chipping the porcelin.

I'm sure you'll enjoy cooking on it. After you get used to it, it kinda takes care of itself.
"All who wander are not lost.

Sometimes they just can't remember where they parked their car
."

Da Dude's new blog
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Tue May 13, 2008 8:45 pm

So DATs, when should we expect to see some smoke and food pics?? :D Sounds like you've got it ready to go. :D 8)
Jim
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun May 18, 2008 9:43 am

Did a test burn on the WSM yesterday. Using the mostly useless operating manual as a guide I put 2 layers of charcoal in the fire ring, then deviating from the aforementioned manual added 6 - 8 ashed over coals to the center of the ring, added the water pan with foil like BFD suggested and let her rip.

It took it an 1hr to get up to temp (vs 15 minutes with ceramics), and 2 hours after that I was adding coals. I suspect that I'll have to increase my charcoal budget :roll:

Seemed to hold temp very well once everthing was dialed in. After a few more hours of playing with it, I put a chicken on figuring it would take 3 1/2 hours....which was dead on.
Deputy Dave

osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun May 18, 2008 10:06 am

Did you notice any difference in the taste of the chicken using the WSM or using the ceramics?? :D Or any other differences in the final product? :D
Jim
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun May 18, 2008 10:16 am

OSD wrote:Did you notice any difference in the taste of the chicken using the WSM or using the ceramics?? :D Or any other differences in the final product? :D

I hadn't planned on cooking anything when I started. Thought I just run it through its paces to see how long of a burn I could get and how the vents respond to adjustments. About 4 hours in the experiment the Mrs wanted to know whats for supper :roll: So into the house and found a chicken. Didn't use my regular rub, just some paprika, chile powder, garlic, rubbed sage and salt.

That said, the chicken was ok but no smoke ring. :oops: If it had one, it was the thinnest I've ever seen. The meat was moist. Wife ate a breast, I had a drumstick and theigh. The uneaten half is in the fridge.
Deputy Dave

jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sun May 18, 2008 11:15 am

DATsBBQ wrote:Did a test burn on the WSM yesterday. Using the mostly useless operating manual as a guide I put 2 layers of charcoal in the fire ring, then deviating from the aforementioned manual added 6 - 8 ashed over coals to the center of the ring, added the water pan with foil like BFD suggested and let her rip.

It took it an 1hr to get up to temp (vs 15 minutes with ceramics), and 2 hours after that I was adding coals. I suspect that I'll have to increase my charcoal budget :roll:

Seemed to hold temp very well once everthing was dialed in. After a few more hours of playing with it, I put a chicken on figuring it would take 3 1/2 hours....which was dead on.

Dave,

The Minion method is yoru friend on the WSM! :wink:

Jammes.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”