Help with this weekends BBQ

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jasper1321
Pilgrim

Help with this weekends BBQ

Postby jasper1321 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:01 pm

I have smoked a Boston but once and this weekend i have to smoke another for a BBQ we are having and i have some questions.

Of course there are more people then just me and my wife this time so should i buy 1 15lb or 2 7lb buts?

If i buy 2 7lb buts does it still take 1.5 hours per pound since there are 2 and not one?

Thanks for your help.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:42 pm

I would get two 7 1/2 pound butts. It will still take somewhere around 1 1/2 to 2 hours per pound cooked at 230* to 250*.
Really the time is only an estimate at when the meat will be done. You need to go by internal temp to determine whether the butts are done. If you are going to do pulled pork, you should cook to an internal temp of 195* to 205*, then pull from the smoker wrap in foil ( some people wrap in foil at 160* and continue to cook til done ) and towels and let it rest a couple hours in a dry cooler before pulling.
Hope this helps. :D
Jim
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:58 pm

To be clear about your question, that is 1.5 - 2 hrs for both of the 7 pounders at the same time (or 10-12 hrs), not for the total of 15 pounds taking 20+ hours.

I think I said that right, and btw Welcome!
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
jasper1321
Pilgrim

Postby jasper1321 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:16 pm

Thank you very much. That is exactly what i was looking for. 1.5 * 8lbs each so 12 hours + -.
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Thu May 01, 2008 6:20 am

Keep in mind that not every one cooks the same, and one could take an hr or two more or less.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
Down Yonder BBQ
Rustler

Postby Down Yonder BBQ » Thu May 01, 2008 7:55 am

Brine:
8 ounces or 3/4 cup molasses
12 ounces pickling salt
2 quarts bottled water
6 to 8 pound Boston butt

Rub:
1 teaspoon whole cumin seed
1 teaspoon whole fennel seed
1 teaspoon whole coriander
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon paprika

Combine molasses, pickling salt, and water in 6 quart Lexan. Add Boston butt making sure it is completely submerged in brine, cover, and let sit in refrigerator for a minimum of 8 hours. 12 hours is ideal.
Place cumin seed, fennel seed, and coriander in food grinder and grind fine. Transfer to a small mixing bowl and stir in chili powder, onion powder, and paprika.

Remove Boston butt from brine and pat dry. Sift the rub evenly over the shoulder and then pat onto the meat making sure as much of the rub as possible adheres. More rub will adhere to the meat if you are wearing latex gloves during the application.

Preheat smoker to 210 degrees F. Place butt in smoker and cook for 10 to12 hours, maintaining a temperature of 210 degrees F. Begin checking meat for doneness after 10 hours of cooking time. Use fork to check for doneness. Meat is done when it falls apart easily when pulling with a fork. Once done, remove from pot and set aside to rest for at least 1 hour. Pull meat apart with 2 forks and serve as sandwich with coleslaw and dressing as desired.
It's not burnt till I say so
jack2u2 USER_AVATAR
JaCK2U2
Chuck Wagon

Postby JaCK2U2 » Thu May 01, 2008 1:42 pm

Like OSD and Jasper said - I also cook mine around 220-230 -- each piece of meat is a little different, so don't rely strictly on time. I slather down in mustard (my preference) and then rub - each to his own liking. Lots of rubs out there. Use what you like and go from there!
Jack
Jr. C's BBQ
http://www.jrcsbbqandseasonings.com" target="_blank

Homemade upright drum smoker
Backwoods Party
GSW upright (now deceased)
nice gas grill
Weber 27" grill
Weber rotisserie
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Thu May 01, 2008 10:54 pm

JaCK2U2 wrote:Like OSD and Jasper said - I also cook mine around 220-230 -- each piece of meat is a little different, so don't rely strictly on time. I slather down in mustard (my preference) and then rub - each to his own liking. Lots of rubs out there. Use what you like and go from there!

Jack, I too, like to put on a thin layer of mustard. If nothing else, it helps the rubs to adhere a bit better.
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
scotty da q USER_AVATAR
Scotty Da Q
Cowboy

Postby Scotty Da Q » Fri May 02, 2008 2:24 pm

JaCK2U2 wrote:each piece of meat is a little different, so don't rely strictly on time.

I agree....go by feel. :wink:
Regards,
Scotty

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”