Drum Smoker

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:11 pm

TX Sandman wrote:Thanks for the warning. I'm gonna have to be very careful when I do my burn-off, being in town and all.

I plan to grind off as much paint and liner as I can before the burn so I have less to worry about. From there, it'll be a couple coats of paint and into service.

Alright! Looking forward to the progress pics!

James.
grillatarian USER_AVATAR
Grillatarian
Rustler

Postby Grillatarian » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:18 pm

Smoked wrote:
TX Sandman wrote:
Smoked wrote:Hmmm you guys thinking of entering the cook off at Bass Pro this fall?? As for competition.. I'm just there to cook and have a good time.. No expectations on winning.. The grub I cook is fare to OK

Yep, app's in and everything. Now it's a matter of learnin' how to cook. :wink:

Cool beans...

Downloaded all rules/regs. Found out we couldn't use our cook's rig because it a gasser. Nice rig, but still runs on gas. We could enter the Jack Pot Beans, but that's it. We haven't decided what to do yet. He is actually trying to sell his so he can go back to wood/charcoal. I am trying to get our camp to buy it from him because it is an awesome rig(southern steamer) for burgers/dogs. He just did 6 briskets for us last week and they came out lip smacking good and tender, even had the smoke ring in them (used a smoker box w/hickory).
As a last resort we could drag my old smoker cabinet up there... but would rather have something on a trailer.
"I don't always smoke meat, but when I do...I use a drum. Stay hungry my friends!"
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:28 pm

Grillatarian wrote:Downloaded all rules/regs. Found out we couldn't use our cook's rig because it a gasser. ... As a last resort we could drag my old smoker cabinet up there... but would rather have something on a trailer.

Our plan is a couple drums, my kettle, and Chuck's CG. I might get another kettle if needed, but we'll see. There's a couple options we're lookin' at right now. I'll probably bring the fryer, if someone wants a funnel cake. :wink: :D

Yep, rules say wood or coal only, no gas or electric. Sorry to hear that's giving you problems. Hope you can work 'em out.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
grillatarian USER_AVATAR
Grillatarian
Rustler

Postby Grillatarian » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:16 pm

JaCK2U2 wrote:Need ideas for your UDS - you can go to BBQ Brethren forum - under search, type in UDS. grab a beer or two and read, read, read. If ya can't build one after that, well, you never will.
Built mine in one afternoon (after burn and scrape). Anyone near Greenville can go on Hwy. 69, just south of Greenville - all food grade drums. You can't miss the place.

Went to the site, registered and then after my account was approved tried to a search and got this message :
" You are trying to use SEARCH, NEW POSTS or TODAYS POSTS. These are functions available to subscribing members only. Available Subscriptions may be found in your user control panel." :shock:

I'm sure they have a great website and all, and it does take $'s to keep the kibbles and bytes a flowing.... but I just only got here and don't feel the need to diversify my portfolio online yet. :lol:
"I don't always smoke meat, but when I do...I use a drum. Stay hungry my friends!"
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:33 pm

Yeah, the Brethren site is a good one for sure and it does cost somebody money to keep these things afloat... I think they just went to requiring registrations for features such as search and such...

After you log into the Brethren site, try this link ans see if it works.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showt ... hp?t=23436

or you could always start a UDS thread here...

James.
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:51 pm

JamesB wrote:Yeah, the Brethren site is a good one for sure ... I think they just went to requiring registrations for features such as search and such...

No, they've had that requirement for at least 15 months. I registered there 12/06 to be able to search threads just for that reason.

Thay also have a requirement about not posting about competing forums, which is why you'd never see some of these posts over there.

JamesB wrote:or you could always start a UDS thread here...

That is actually a great idea. Now, who's gonna get the party started?
Rob - TX Sandman

Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."

Steven Raichlen
jack2u2 USER_AVATAR
JaCK2U2
Chuck Wagon

Postby JaCK2U2 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:28 am

Sandman - if there's a problem burning the barell out where you live, get a weed burner. They work great on the barell, without having to start a massive fire in it. I used it to burn off the outside of mine, and it didn't take any time at all.
I believe James has a UDS, so if we want to start a thread, it shouldn't be hard. I still have pics of my firebox, etc. New thread should mean new ideas. I can always use a new thought every so often!
Jack
Jr. C's BBQ
http://www.jrcsbbqandseasonings.com" target="_blank

Homemade upright drum smoker
Backwoods Party
GSW upright (now deceased)
nice gas grill
Weber 27" grill
Weber rotisserie
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:24 am

TX Sandman wrote:
Grillatarian wrote:Downloaded all rules/regs. Found out we couldn't use our cook's rig because it a gasser. ... As a last resort we could drag my old smoker cabinet up there... but would rather have something on a trailer.

Our plan is a couple drums, my kettle, and Chuck's CG. I might get another kettle if needed, but we'll see. There's a couple options we're lookin' at right now. I'll probably bring the fryer, if someone wants a funnel cake. :wink: :D

Yep, rules say wood or coal only, no gas or electric. Sorry to hear that's giving you problems. Hope you can work 'em out.

Rob... Remember I said that Mom has a kettle that we can use too.
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”