Drum Smoker

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Drum Smoker

Postby nascarchuck » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:01 am

After reading up on drum smokers, I am thinking about trying to build one.

Gotta question though.

Anyone in the DFW area know where I can get a 55 gal drum or two?
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

grillatarian USER_AVATAR
Grillatarian
Rustler

Re: Drum Smoker

Postby Grillatarian » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:17 am

nascarchuck wrote:After reading up on drum smokers, I am thinking about trying to build one.

Gotta question though.

Good question Chuck. I've been thinking along those same lines. I do recall seeing a herd of barrels just north of Decatur, off hwy 287. That was several months back, but they also had the large shipping containers you can turn into offices, storage shed, etc. So.... I think they are probably still there. I need to go that way next week. If they're there I'll get their contact info/prices.

Several years ago I bought some HDPE tanks from a barrel emporium that was located near Forney. I'm sure it was off U.S. 80, east of Mesquite. But that was some time back so not too sure about that one.
"I don't always smoke meat, but when I do...I use a drum. Stay hungry my friends!"
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:33 am

Grillatarian wrote:
nascarchuck wrote:After reading up on drum smokers, I am thinking about trying to build one.

Gotta question though.

Good question Chuck. I've been thinking along those same lines. I do recall seeing a herd of barrels just north of Decatur, off hwy 287. That was several months back, but they also had the large shipping containers you can turn into offices, storage shed, etc. So.... I think they are probably still there. I need to go that way next week. If they're there I'll get their contact info/prices.

Several years ago I bought some HDPE tanks from a barrel emporium that was located near Forney. I'm sure it was off U.S. 80, east of Mesquite. But that was some time back so not too sure about that one.

I was told by a buddy of mine a few mins ago that there are 2 places just east of Weatherford that sell them. That would be closer to me.

I also have a family friend that owns a company that makes salsa's, etc. I just sent him an email seeing if he has anything.

Your wanting to build on also? Do you have any plans yet for yours?
Chuck

bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:13 am

I have seen the drums in the area on CraigsList and eBAY
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
perryranch USER_AVATAR
perryranch
Cowboy

Postby perryranch » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:00 am

We Texans must think alike. I've been wanting one also. LOL But I'm not building mine DH and DS1 are I just get to tell them how I want it. I wanted it before Easter but that's not going to happen but I'll having it in time for Mother's Day.
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:30 am

Gotta question though.

I know of a place, but it's north of Denton. Not worth the trip for youi, my friend.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:50 am

Sounds like we need to have a big ol drum building party! Image
Chuck

jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:41 am

I picked up my last two drums here http://www.dallassteeldrums.com/

$32.00 each, for new, unlined, open head drums. No need to burn out, just season and cook.

Build you a UDS (Ugly Drum Smoker), you won't be sorry! I've built several of them and they all cook great!

Lemme know if I can help in any way!

James.
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:52 am

Thanks for the link, James! That's actually right on my way to work, so gas wouldn't be a factor.

Hmmm. Something else to consider.
Rob - TX Sandman

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."

Steven Raichlen
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:00 am

Hey, alot of folks scavenge to find really cheap or free food grade barrels, but most of those have a painted liner or coating of some sort that must be burned off. Thinking about the time, labor and expense of fuel to do so, I opted for new unlined barrels. For me that is the way to go!

James.
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:34 am

For me, the concers would be what was in the barrel before I got it. The ones I'm looking at held molasses, so no worries of toxic sludge there.

But I grant you, new unlined is a whole lot simpler.
Rob - TX Sandman

Steven Raichlen
grillatarian USER_AVATAR
Grillatarian
Rustler

Postby Grillatarian » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:23 pm

Your wanting to build on also? Do you have any plans yet for yours?

Not really. Still looking around at what everyone else has and trying to pick up ideas. Love some of the ones I've seen on this forum. I have some ideas, but having never used one I can't say they are good :wink:

Sounds like James might be our SME (subject matter expert) on these?

Would love to have a drum building party! Have torch will travel! Also I have small MIG welder which would do pretty good for the thin stuff. I also have a Hobart Ironman that can handle the heavy stuff. Of course.....I don't do anything without Sparky... the grinder! :lol:

You know: "The welder giveth, and the grinder taketh away... "
"I don't always smoke meat, but when I do...I use a drum. Stay hungry my friends!"
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:31 pm

A drum party could be fun! I've built all of mine with out any welding. Just nuts/bolts, a drill motor etc. Welding would make for a nicer finished product!

James.
grillatarian USER_AVATAR
Grillatarian
Rustler

Postby Grillatarian » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:14 am

JamesB wrote:A drum party could be fun! I've built all of mine with out any welding. Just nuts/bolts, a drill motor etc. Welding would make for a nicer finished product!

James.

Nothing wrong with hardware either. In some places it might be the best choice. I have done a combination of both, when I can use bolts are rated properly. At least the drum is light enough to move around and change the angles. One thing I have found with these wire welders is that they don't do such a hot job of welding upside down. :wink: Even with a gasless, flux-coated wire it just doesn't do a good a job when vertically challenged as a good old DC stick welder.

In any case, I think you are right on the money about using the pristine uncoated barrels, even though you haven't been welding them. The amount of time you would save.... and the quality of the welds you can produce.... is worth the extra $ (IMHO).

I was thinking of trying one as a summer project. I miss my old charcoal grill and think this might work fine for my personal needs. As they burn out improvements could be made to future revisions.
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:02 am

Foreman's General Store 3900 T-26 in Colleyville got em. 14 bucks I think. One I had had tomater sauce in it. They are lined but aint sure that hurts anything. Has an open top with a lid that fits it.

bighweel

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”