Who spins vinyl?

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Who spins vinyl?

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:58 am

So I have had this thread in mind for a little bit and out of the blue received an on topic DM from Norway Joe asking me about records from some postings I had put on Instagram.

Figured now was the time. We seem to have some diverse and pretty good musical taste on this forum from other threads so I figured let’s see who still spins vinyl and give us a chance to show off our collections or vinyl finds.

Back in the 70’s and 80’s my Dad managed and owned nightclubs. When he’d close a club or the club would change to a different format he would keep the albums. He and I would listen to his collection when I was younger. It was impressive. Any and all genres.

As time went by his Marantz turntable got old and needed a new needle. At the time vinyl was basically dead and diamond replacement needles were very expensive. He would tell me, if something happens to me get rid of all this. Vinyl is dead and it cost more to fix that turntable than it’s worth.

Well, when he passed we were selling off his stuff to help take care of expenses and what not. When my family approached me about the records. They were right, the records had been shoved in a storage shed in the heat for who knows how long. A guy was offering a fair amount for the lot. It was the right thing to do for the family so I did I it.

It was always in the back of my mind that I would have loved to have had that record collection back. I missed the crackle of vinyl and the open sounds. It just relaxes me. My wife knew this and did the most thoughtful thing. At Christmas the kids in her preschool class gave her amazon gift cards. She handed them to me and said “get us a turntable and start to get some records for us to enjoy”. I was so happy she thought this was a good idea and picked up a decent entry level turntable. Audiotechnica AP-LP60X. Been very happy with it.

Anyway - sorry for the long drawn out post. I am going to post some vinyl I have here as well as places I find them. Please feel free to add in. I would love to see what the forum members have in their collection.

Here is the first one. I received these in the mail on a Discogs order their other day. Got all 4 for under $20. I especially like the older original issues:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Who spins vinyl?

Postby Rambo » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:13 am

We bought a little turntable last year; we still have all our old records
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:22 am

Rambo wrote:We bought a little turntable last year; we still have all our old records

That’s cool Rambo. Share some of your favorites.

Should also mention part of what got this going was my 14 year old asked for and received a player for Christmas. She is now building her own collection as well but also likes to spin some of mine…that makes me happy

sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:22 am

We have a Crosley, much looked down on by 'Audiophiles,' but we play classical, opera, folk, country, jazz, standards, Broadway, pop/rock, out of our small but strange collection. And of course Sinatra.

I have pics somewhere of VERY old albums. I'll see whether PB can find them.
Moink!
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:44 am

They're mostly stored in the attic. Sherry worked at a Country radio station back in the day and she has boxes. My prize possession is a double album of The Marshall Tucker Band ;
"Where We All Belong "
Attachments
IMG_4329[11144].JPG
IMG_4328[11142].JPG
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:49 am

Sailor - doesn’t matter what you and PB are plying them on as long as you enjoy it. First thing I told my wife is I want to make sure we are buying records we enjoy listening to not ones that just collect dust because I am scared to scratch them.

Rambo - cool Victrola. I need to add some Marshall Tucker into my collection. Love it

rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:52 am

if I recall , that unit was only about a hundred and a half
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:02 am

That's crazy Sooner, I have all four of the albums you pictured. Between the wife and I we probably have 50 LP's and 75 45's. My lasted favorite is a limited addition Whiskey Myers I got for pre-ordering their latest CD "Whiskey Myers". Mostly a greatest hits of "B" sides. Maybe my most prized is Petty's "darn the Torpedoes". Petty stuck to his guns and force the record company to release it at a "fair" price. All be it 6-7 months late. RIP Tom.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:05 am

I get the sight rules but "Darn" the Torpedoes ? :lol: :D
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:17 am

I gave all my Vinyl to my Grand Daughter :dont: :whiteflag:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:18 am

I also have some vinyl. Some from my parents younger days and some from my own younger days.

I have a Technics SL-10. Most of my records are at the attic for the moment. But here are a few from what I have next to the turntable at the moment. A box of Evis records. My father bought it to me in the eighties I think. He used to travel to South Korea and far east for many years. This is probably bought in Hong Kong and might be a pirate copy. The sound is fine so I'm happy with it.

Also a couple of records from the eighties. One on blue vinyl. Remember how the colored records were popular for a while. Being young in the 80's was fun and never boring.

Last is a big band music record with some of the big names. It's one I've got from my parents.ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:22 am

Not only the colored albums but the picture albums. Some of those things are BIG $$$$$$.
Ray Wylie Hubbard
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:27 am

GTR wrote:Not only the colored albums but the picture albums. Some of those things are BIG $$$$$$.
Yes. The album's that came out as a book are fantastic.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:57 am

:lol:
Attachments
IMG_4331[11154].JPG
IMG_4336[11164].JPG
IMG_4334[11160].JPG
IMG_4332[11158].JPG
IMG_4333[11156].JPG
IMG_4335[11162].JPG
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:06 am

This is some cool stuff. I’ll get some more pics up later.

GTR - I am a huge Whiskey Myers fan. Did not know about that vinyl release.

As far as colored vinyl goes it is making a comeback as are photos on albums. Got to be careful though. They won’t play on some lower end players. Got my daughter a Billie Eilish colored album and her player won’t play it. Now if she wants to listen to Billie…I get to listen to Billie. oh well, brings her out of her room and at least I known what she is listening to.

Return to “General Discussion”