Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

For all you Italian food lovers

Postby copkid » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:12 am

Hey all, Until the end of Feb., you can go to www.barilla.com
and download a free italian cookbook that was written by Mario B and Giada D. Mario was on the Rachael Ray show yesterday and made the first recipe in the book. I encourage anyone who has never made a true Italian meatball to do so. Yum!
Anyway, for every download, Barilla donates a $1 to a organization that fights hunger here in the US. I think they have already met their $$ goal, but you can still download the book for free!
Laura
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:16 am

thanks for the post copkid....anything Giada is good enough for me! :lol:
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:20 pm

Thanks for the link. Looks like a great cookbook and it's for a good cause. :D
Jim
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:26 pm

The only Eyetalian food which has ever been invented and is fit to eat is some stuff called Pasta Puttanesca. I would not bother with the other stuff. Free cookbooks blah blah blah. Try this. Will not mention much other than she was a world class cook now in heaven.

bigwheel

Agent ~W said this:
>
PASTA PUTTANESCA (literally "Pasta in the Style of the Whore")

This is my spin:

1-2 bunches fresh basil, unwashed, leaves rolled and julienned (I like
lots!)
1 1/4 - 1 1/2 c good quality olive oil
3 c or more tomatoes, cherry or Roma, but at least vine-ripened, not
hothouse
mashed anchovy filets (I use probably 12-14) to taste, or anchovy paste to
taste
(really, they're not overpowering, very mellow in the finished product,
not fishy)
one entire bulb (not clove) of garlic, peeled and chopped or pressed
1 1/2 c good quality Greek black olives, pitted (do not use canned!)
dash of red pepper flakes (optional)
freshly ground black pepper to taste (optional)
julienned roasted red pepper to taste (optional)
capers (optional...not too many, the anchovies make it plenty salty)
@ 12 oz. dried pasta*
freshly grated Parmigianno-Reggiano cheese

In a covered casserole, mix the olive oil, garlic and black olives. The
olives can be easily pitted just by squeezing them between your fingers. If
using cherry tomatoes, cut in half. Any larger tomatoes cut into small
wedges. Add along with the anchovies or anchovy paste and basil leaves, and
any other optional ingredients you decide to add. Mix in the morning on a
sunny summer day and leave it to sit outside in the warm sun all day in a
covered casserole. In the spring or fall, it can be 'cooked' in a warm
sunny spot in front of a closed window. It can also be warmed in a slow
oven until heated through. You don't want it to be hot.

Cook your pasta al dente and drain. Pour sauce over, add parmesan cheese to
taste, and serve with good crusty bread to mop up the extra sauce.
Leftovers keep well under refrigeration for 1 week. Just warm to serve.
The flavors just keep improving. Remember, never serve hot.

*Use a pasta such as shells, bowtie, orecchiette or even penne...something
that will soak up and hold the sauce. I think this is a very sensual, sexy
dinner for two people to share with a good bottle of wine. Don't cut the
bread, just rip pieces off...the jagged edges catch the sauce better.

I do all the things I have listed as optional, but it's a matter of taste.
Try the sun method if you can...I think it tastes better, but it may be all
in my head. ~W
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:02 am

bigwheel wrote:The only Eyetalian food which has ever been invented and is fit to eat is some stuff called Pasta Puttanesca. I would not bother with the other stuff. Free cookbooks blah blah blah. Try this. Will not mention much other than she was a world class cook now in heaven.
bigwheel

Are you just mad that Giada wouldn't go out with you? :lol: :P
Laura
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope

-Tacitus

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Re: For all you Italian food lovers

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:48 am

copkid wrote:Hey all, Until the end of Feb., you can go to www.barilla.com
and download a free italian cookbook that was written by Mario B and Giada D. Mario was on the Rachael Ray show yesterday and made the first recipe in the book. I encourage anyone who has never made a true Italian meatball to do so. Yum!
Anyway, for every download, Barilla donates a $1 to a organization that fights hunger here in the US. I think they have already met their $$ goal, but you can still download the book for free!
Laura

Two of the best!
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:47 pm

Well if yall are talking about that fat red headed Irishman on Food TV named Mario..he wouldnt know good Eyetalian meatballs if it bit him in the coola. I got the ultimate recipe from a Januine Roman Catholic Eyetalian Lady from New Yawk City. I will cough it up free of charge for only five bucks to cover the shipping and handling. Let me know.

bigwheel
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:51 pm

bigwheel wrote:Well if yall are talking about that fat red headed Irishman on Food TV named Mario..he wouldnt know good Eyetalian meatballs if it bit him in the coola. I got the ultimate recipe from a Januine Roman Catholic Eyetalian Lady from New Yawk City. I will cough it up free of charge for only five bucks to cover the shipping and handling. Let me know.

bigwheel

Hey man!! That's my honey that you are talking about!! I'm a skinny Irishwoman, so be careful there! :lol: 8) And I'm grouchy because my CG is buried in a big butt snowdrift!
I had one more comment, but I don't want Gator to scold me........ it had to do with your meatballs..................... :P :twisted:
LJ
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope

-Tacitus

perryranch USER_AVATAR
perryranch
Cowboy

Postby perryranch » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:11 pm

Hey thanks DH loves his italian foods. And I love trying new recipes.
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:37 am

bigwheel wrote:Well if yall are talking about that fat red headed Irishman on Food TV named Mario..he wouldnt know good Eyetalian meatballs if it bit him in the coola. I got the ultimate recipe from a Januine Roman Catholic Eyetalian Lady from New Yawk City. I will cough it up free of charge for only five bucks to cover the shipping and handling. Let me know.

bigwheel

WOW bigwheel :shock: for someone who doesn't think 'eyetalians' can cook you sure do have a few 'eyetalian' recipes to share :lol: :lol:
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:52 am

copkid wrote:

bigwheel

Hey man!! That's my honey that you are talking about!! I'm a skinny Irishwoman, so be careful there! :lol: 8) And I'm grouchy because my CG is buried in a big butt snowdrift!
I had one more comment, but I don't want Gator to scold me........ it had to do with your meatballs..................... :P :twisted:
LJ

His dad's name is Armandino Batali. Don't sound too Irish to me. :D His complete bio can be read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Batali

I like his laid back cooking style. I once saw him on one of his shows demonstrate the correct way to do something. A few days later he was a guest on Emeril Live. Old Emeril proceeded to do that something in a manner not inaccordance with Mario's method. You could see the pain on Mario's face but he kept a stiff upper lip and didn't embarass ol Emeril. A class act if ever I saw on.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:03 am

DATsBBQ wrote:
copkid wrote:

bigwheel

LJ

His dad's name is Armandino Batali. Don't sound too Irish to me. :D His complete bio can be read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Batali

I like his laid back cooking style. I once saw him on one of his shows demonstrate the correct way to do something. A few days later he was a guest on Emeril Live. Old Emeril proceeded to do that something in a manner not inaccordance with Mario's method. You could see the pain on Mario's face but he kept a stiff upper lip and didn't embarass ol Emeril. A class act if ever I saw on.

AND he's a NASCAR fan :D

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”