Remembering a WWII hero

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Remembering a WWII hero

Postby Norway Joe » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:21 pm

Today is 31 years since one of our greatest war heroes, Jan Baalsrud, passed away. He's remembered by showing one of the films made of him on the TV.

The first made in 1957 is called nine lives. The second called the 12th man, filmed in 2017, is shown today. Very dramatic story.

For those who are interested can read about him here. The biography is dramatic.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Baalsrud

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Last edited by Norway Joe on Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Instagram: Norway_joe1
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Remembering a WWII hero

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:50 pm

Thanks Joe, I'll be sure and try to score that Film and share with the Family. :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:58 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Thanks Joe, I'll be sure and try to score that Film and share with the Family. :tup: :salut:
That's cool. Not sure if the film is available in English or with English subtitles? Go for 2017 version if you can.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:46 pm

:tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:21 pm

:tup:
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:02 pm

Thanks for the article link, Joe.
Quite the story to be told in so few paragraphs. That generation was indeed the "Greatest Generation". The sacrifices they made, without thought, the courage and sheer will power to overcome the evil at hand may never be matched again.
Second Lieutenant Jan Baalsrud is truly a national hero to the people of Norway and the people of the free world. :salut:
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:33 pm

GTR wrote:Thanks for the article link, Joe.
Quite the story to be told in so few paragraphs. That generation was indeed the "Greatest Generation". The sacrifices they made, without thought, the courage and sheer will power to overcome the evil at hand may never be matched again.
Second Lieutenant Jan Baalsrud is truly a national hero to the people of Norway and the people of the free world. :salut:
You're welcome.

We didn't have much military resources to resist wwii invasion and had to turn to guerilla and sabotage actions during the war. We have some heroes that accomplished important task. I think most famous is the heroes from Telemark that hindered Germany to get the heavy water produced in Telemark and so delayed the German development of nuclear bombs. This was filmed in the movie "heroes from Telemark" starring Kirk Douglas.

I have a big interest in WWII history and I can't stop being impressed by what the soldiers endured and were able to overcome. Absolutely the greatest generation. We as an occupied country are very grateful for the sacrifices our heroes, yours soldiers together with the allied forces and even the Russians (they liberated the northern part of Norway) endured during dark 5 years we were occupied.

boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:07 pm

Salute the Norge armed forces of that and this generation. Sobering to think of how significantly that scrappy resistance force bloodied the Nazis for 5 difficult years. Those were people made of sterner stuff.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:36 pm

Boots wrote:Salute the Norge armed forces of that and this generation. Sobering to think of how significantly that scrappy resistance force bloodied the Nazis for 5 difficult years. Those were people made of sterner stuff.
You're right. There are some very brave me and women in the armed forces. Then and now. Regarding the current forces we still don't have a big military force, but it's ranked among the world's most modern. Firepower ranked as nbr 36 of 137 according to global firepower. Just declared IOC with the F-35's we've got. Some of our special forces/soldiers are also among the best. The rest is too small. With a population of only 5 mill. People we will never get a big military.

One of our most important NATO tasks is to keep an eye on the Russian submarines that come out from the Kola peninsula. Therefore 5 new Boeing P8 Poseidon maritime surveillance/sub hunting aircrafts will be delivered from next year.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:26 pm

Found it on Amazon "used" and ordered it. It certainly appears to be in English and my Genius Step-Son says that it is so we'll see when it gets here won't we??? Thanks for turning us onto this Movie, Joe. :salut:
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:04 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Found it on Amazon "used" and ordered it. It certainly appears to be in English and my Genius Step-Son says that it is so we'll see when it gets here won't we??? Thanks for turning us onto this Movie, Joe. :salut:
That's is cool. Hope you like the film.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:00 pm

Got the Movie today but I think I'll wait until tomorrow afternoon when the Wiffy and I can sit down and watch it undisturbed (I Hope)
Thanks for the Info Joe :tup: :salut:
IMG_0455.jpg
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:48 pm

Nice.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:26 pm

WOW, finally got to watch it this morning and I have NEVER seen such a tense and nerve wrenching Movie. The determination of Freedom Fighter, Jan Baalsrud, to survive and get back to his Homeland, the determination and heroic actions by the Freedom Resisters to help him and the total Inhumanity of the Nazi's kept me glued to the screen. Altho there was very little Dialogue, per say, it kept my attention until it was finished. :wav: :salut: :salut: :salut:
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:44 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:WOW, finally got to watch it this morning and I have NEVER seen such a tense and nerve wrenching Movie. The determination of Freedom Fighter, Jan Baalsrud, to survive and get back to his Homeland, the determination and heroic actions by the Freedom Resisters to help him and the total Inhumanity of the Nazi's kept me glued to the screen. Altho there was very little Dialogue, per say, it kept my attention until it was finished. :wav: :salut: :salut: :salut:
How nice that you liked the film. Jan Baalsrud was an extraordinary man. All the unbearable things he had to endure to survive is exceptionally.

Very tense and dramatic story. We didn't have a large army and what we had was very poor equipped. Still a few resistance groups accomplished great things. Here are two other films about two other dramatic events:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Heroes_of_Telemark

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Manus:_Man_of_War

Return to “General Discussion”