Welder question

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

sklater
Pilgrim

Welder question

Postby sklater » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:37 pm

Good afternoon.

So, I have been working on my 250 gallon propane tank smoker build. I have the doors cut and the areas for the smoke stack and the firebox. I need to start welding my hinges on so I can completely cut out the door and burn out the tank. I took a welding course during my undergraduate days, so would need to do some practice first. Thought of renting a welder but figured after several days/weeks of use would probably save money to buy. I don't need anything fancy. My steel is 3/8" thick. Do you think this one would work?

https://www.harborfreight.com/170-amp-d ... 68885.html

It has a pretty good sale right now. Thanks.
lubbockguy1979
Wrangler

Re: Welder question

Postby lubbockguy1979 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:17 pm

Id probably look at Facebook marketplace for a 220v stick welder. Not knowing your budget and funds availability one could buy a name brand mig unit for 300-600 bucks even then just sell it when your done. I have the 125amp version the $99 special and it does work but if im at my shop im using my miller as it welds much nicer and heat and penetration is alot better

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:11 pm

The link to the welder came up as a wire feed that has a capacity up to 1/4" - - - if you're going to routinely weld on 3/8" material it will not suffice.
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:33 am

Not knowing if you are proficient at stick welding I would say either shop for a used wire feed of some quality or bite the bullet on say a Hobart 190.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produ ... _vc=-10005

The duty cycle on the harbor freight is 20% at 110 Amps. That would just piss me off as I would be resting more than welding.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Ken226
Pilgrim

Postby Ken226 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:16 pm

Ill 2nd kams advice. Mig is the way to go

A gas shielded wirefeed welder, aka MIG is the easiest to learn, and is the most forgiving. The duty cycle is important, for a project like yours especially. A 110v mig will annoy you by overheating frequently if you try to weld 1/4 inch steel for more than a few minutes at a time. Look for a 220v machine.

I have a Millermatic 180, whis is a small 220v machine, and a Lincoln Powermig 256, which is a beast. My Miller 180 will start sputtering, splattering and smell like burnt plastic after about 10 inches of welding on 1/4 steel plate. At that point, i have to shut it down awhile

My Lincoln Powermig 256 can weld 1/4 inch plate continuously.

Get the most welder you can afford. A good used Miller, Hobart or Lincoln 220v mig will be alot more useful than a new peice of junk.

The Hobart Kam recommended, or a Lincoln or Miller equivalent, would be my minimum starting point. A used Millermatic 210, Hobart Ironman 210 or Lincoln Powermig 200. Those machines will last a lifetime and you wont outgrow them.

Drop by your local welding shops. Sometimes if a model hasn't sold in awhile, you can get a steal. I picked up my Powermig 256 for 1500$ because the newer version had been released a year before, and the display model had been sitting for a year. It was new, and they were willing to negotiate.

Or, search craigslist for a used welder similar to one of these:

https://rowleyauctions.hibid.com/lot/59 ... ng-stand-/

https://bid.fowlerauction.com/view-auct ... EED-WELDER

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 4038824652
lubbockguy1979
Wrangler

Postby lubbockguy1979 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:41 pm

I picked up my milermatic 200 machine a fee years ago for 600 bucks. Like said above it will do just about anything you can do with a mig. Best part is if and when i sell it ill get my money back easily. Another benefit is mine is very simple and very common so repairs if needed should be simple and cheap vs newer digital display units

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:56 pm

As mentioned a mig is quick and easy to learn on, and quick. 3/8 steel I would use 4mm rods and as mentioned up to 240 amp for penetration. Stick is harder but you will better welds and satisfaction, in my opinion. I've held welding tickets here in nz since the 80s. I can teach someone to stick weld in an hour or so, getting it sparking is half the battle. It's a handy tool to be able to do.
A nice fillet weld is a thing to behold. And watching the slag fold up behind the weld means you're pretty good. :)

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
Ken226
Pilgrim

Postby Ken226 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:37 pm

Russ wrote:As mentioned a mig is quick and easy to learn on, and quick. 3/8 steel I would use 4mm rods and as mentioned up to 240 amp for penetration. Stick is harder but you will better welds and satisfaction, in my opinion. I've held welding tickets here in nz since the 80s. I can teach someone to stick weld in an hour or so, getting it sparking is half the battle. It's a handy tool to be able to do.
A nice fillet weld is a thing to behold. And watching the slag fold up behind the weld means you're pretty good. :)

Russ

Ha! From your sig, i gotta know? WTF is a honky hangi :)
sklater
Pilgrim

Postby sklater » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:19 pm

The link shows up as the Mig welder. Not sure why you're getting a stick welder page.

CHICAGO ELECTRIC
170 Amp-DC, 240 Volt, MIG/Flux Cored Welder
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:18 pm

Ken226 wrote:
Russ wrote:As mentioned a mig is quick and easy to learn on, and quick. 3/8 steel I would use 4mm rods and as mentioned up to 240 amp for penetration. Stick is harder but you will better welds and satisfaction, in my opinion. I've held welding tickets here in nz since the 80s. I can teach someone to stick weld in an hour or so, getting it sparking is half the battle. It's a handy tool to be able to do.

Russ

Ha! From your sig, i gotta know? WTF is a honky hangi :)

A 44 gallon drum set up to steam cook your food, to simulate an island way of cooking under the earth. I can elaborate if you don't get it??

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
Ken226
Pilgrim

Postby Ken226 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:16 pm

I think i got it. Pretty neat.
boughtnotbuilt
Pilgrim

Postby boughtnotbuilt » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:21 pm

I'd also support going with a 220v mig unit. Do you have a 220 volt outlet you can use? Any 110v unit is going to have a really hard time doing 3/8 plate. However, you're not building a bridge, you don't need full penetration. I just upgraded from the Hobart listed above (which is a perfectly viable machine and pretty cheap) to a Miller 215 as I'm doing a lot more welding now and the automated setting of amps and wire speed saves a huge amount of time with me trying to figure it out - but it coasts a lot more. What kind of machines can you rent in your area?

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”