Added Pellet Pro to grill

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

peterb123 USER_AVATAR
PeterB123
Pilgrim

Re: Added Pellet Pro to grill

Postby PeterB123 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:54 pm

20190614_185828.jpg

In position.

Still lots more work to go.
peterb123 USER_AVATAR
PeterB123
Pilgrim

Postby PeterB123 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:14 am

It seems that it's a little too "efficient".

Yesterday afternoon (2 pm in Houston), I fired up the pit in order to start figuring out some things.

My new temperature gauge (3" stem screw in center towards top of pit) arrived, and I wanted to compare the temperature of where the pellet pro probe is in comparison to the temp towards the top center of the cook chamber. So, I set the pellet pro to 225 degrees. It got to 225 pretty quick and kept on rising to 280 (PP temp). I tried doing several things including restarting the unit and turning it to different temps such as 200.

I called up Pellet Pro to get their advise. They had me leave it at 200 for a little bit and then open it up and look at the burn chamber. There was hardly any pellets burning in it and the auger was barely moving. They told me that the problem was not enough ventilation and that by merely keeping enough pellets moving through to maintain a burn was causing it to be that hot. I opened both the chimneys all the way and the vents on the bottom of the pit and was able to get the pellet pro temperature at their probe to 240 and my temp gauge at top to 225. This was with the desired temp of 200 set on the pellet pro.

I believe the outdoor temperature at the time was around 95 with no shade or wind where the pit is.

I think at night and/or not the dead of summer in Houston, I will be able to get the temp lower if I so desire, but on days like yesterday, 225 is the lowest I can manage. On days that get close to triple digits, I'm hoping I can hold 250; otherwise, I might need to find another way to remove heat.

Still haven't done the biscuit test yet, but I did do some sanding and painting. I have a ways to go on that still.

This is going to be a bit more tricky to figure out than I had hoped.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:28 am

Looks like you are underway.

Understand that the (at least most of them) controller will continuously feed pellets the first 4 minutes after turning it on this is to get the fire started. It happens ever time the controller is turned on so depending on the amount of pellets in the auger/firebox the temp can shoot up above the temp setting but should eventually settle down close to the setting.
tarde venientibus ossa....
peterb123 USER_AVATAR
PeterB123
Pilgrim

Postby PeterB123 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:53 am

Papa Tom wrote:Looks like you are underway.

Understand that the (at least most of them) controller will continuously feed pellets the first 4 minutes after turning it on this is to get the fire started. It happens ever time the controller is turned on so depending on the amount of pellets in the auger/firebox the temp can shoot up above the temp setting but should eventually settle down close to the setting.

It only took about 6 or 7 minutes to get to 295, and then settled to 280 a few minutes later. I gave it about 45 minutes to come down, and it did not budge down at all. It just held at 280 with variations up and down of 3 degrees (277 to 283).

My big concern is that with that much venting, I'm not going to have any smoke in the chamber.

My optimism on this project has dropped dramatically.

I have one of those smoke tubes. I'm going to see what happens when I light one end and just have it alone in the pit without turning on the pellet pro - as far as temp.

I just want some time where the meat is exposed long enough to take smoke and not be in "oven mode" the entire time. I wonder if worse comes to worse, I can install a cold smoke unit to up the smoke content further. Just scrabbling in my head for an answer.

BTW, thank you for taking the time to make suggestions. Very appreciative of any input.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:26 pm

I wouldn't think that you'd get or see much smoke at 280 :dont: Did you try the Smoke Setting at all :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:23 pm

Ditto OUP I wonder what the "Smoke" setting will do..
tarde venientibus ossa....
peterb123 USER_AVATAR
PeterB123
Pilgrim

Postby PeterB123 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:48 am

Sanding and paint are coming along. I'm about halfway there.

I'm also getting it dialed in slowly and figuring it out. Not there yet, but much better.

I cooked a salmon filet on it last night, the main point being temperature control. I kept the temperature at 235, and it had a good smoke flavor to it. Not nearly heavy enough for a brisket or ribs, but it is progress.

I'm actually going to sacrifice a flat tonight to see what happens. I'm going to start it with just the smoke setting and then take it up to 235 later on.

I hope I won't need to add an external cold smoke device, but I believe that might be a strong possibility.

Today, my wifi gauge will be arriving. I doubt I'll have time to drill the pit to add the pit temp probe, so I'll just have the probe in a temporary position. The pellet pro has both a pit probe (obviously) and a meat probe, but I really want to be able to remotely monitor. Additionally, I like the idea of being able to know the temp on the far side of the pit.

Anyways, here is a pic of the pit from last night with more paint. Sorry it's fuzzy.
Attachments
half paint.jpg
peterb123 USER_AVATAR
PeterB123
Pilgrim

Postby PeterB123 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:50 am

Papa Tom wrote:Ditto OUP I wonder what the "Smoke" setting will do..

Yep, trying that tonight.
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:25 am

I am with the others, start it, after it is lit good, then turn it down to "smoke" and what does the temperature do? that is where the P setting comes in.... :idea:
FWIW I have an old radio cabinet, that some day... I will add a pellet mechanism to for entertainment post retirement
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”