Bought a trailer mount that needs some TLC

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Nevahascards
Pilgrim

Bought a trailer mount that needs some TLC

Postby Nevahascards » Sun May 05, 2019 6:39 pm

Hello All!

Been lurking here for a while but I bought a trailer mounted stick burner that needs some help and wanted to see what you guys had to say!

Lots of rust inside and out. I figured a sander would take care of most of this an then re season the smoker? Trailer needs some rust off too.

Always been a propane guy so totally nee to this side of smoking!

Any tips are welcome! TIA!ImageImageImageImage
lubbockguy1979
Wrangler

Re: Bought a trailer mount that needs some TLC

Postby lubbockguy1979 » Sun May 05, 2019 10:10 pm

Sand blast it...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon May 06, 2019 5:02 am

lubbockguy1979 wrote:Sand blast it...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

^^^^^^
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Mon May 06, 2019 6:55 am

Interesting looking cooker, as previously stated. I would say it would be worth the $ to have it sandblasted, otherwise you have a whole lot of sanding to do.
Nevahascards
Pilgrim

Postby Nevahascards » Mon May 06, 2019 11:43 am

That was my thought and the consensus it seems. Too much rust there to try to sand it all, that would take weeks!

The cooking grates that came with it are pretty bad off too. I'm having a really hard time finding out where to get new grates for that. I feel like such a noob since I've never done this type of cooker of smoking either!

Sandblasting the inside is ok correct? After sandblasting, I would like to paint the outside with high heat paint so it looks nice.

Do I bother with painting the inside of am I insane? Just want to make sure I get this thing done right the first time.
fishwater_98 USER_AVATAR
fishwater_98
Pilgrim

Postby fishwater_98 » Mon May 06, 2019 1:38 pm

Nevahascards wrote:That was my thought and the consensus it seems. Too much rust there to try to sand it all, that would take weeks!

The cooking grates that came with it are pretty bad off too. I'm having a really hard time finding out where to get new grates for that. I feel like such a noob since I've never done this type of cooker of smoking either!

Sandblasting the inside is ok correct? After sandblasting, I would like to paint the outside with high heat paint so it looks nice.

Do I bother with painting the inside of am I insane? Just want to make sure I get this thing done right the first time.

You wanting to keep it as a grill or convert it into a smoker? If converting then I would get some perforated metal sheets and angle iron to make the grates, if keeping as a grill might have to have some custom made (if you cant weld) grates. I would sandblast the interior to get all the rust from there as well, but not paint it\, maybe rub it down with some oil after blasting to keep more rust from coming back.
instagram: me_llamo_blane
Nevahascards
Pilgrim

Postby Nevahascards » Mon May 06, 2019 1:43 pm

fishwater_98 wrote:
Nevahascards wrote:That was my thought and the consensus it seems. Too much rust there to try to sand it all, that would take weeks!

You wanting to keep it as a grill or convert it into a smoker? If converting then I would get some perforated metal sheets and angle iron to make the grates, if keeping as a grill might have to have some custom made (if you cant weld) grates. I would sandblast the interior to get all the rust from there as well, but not paint it\, maybe rub it down with some oil after blasting to keep more rust from coming back.
Definitely wanting to convert it to a smoker. Not a welder either, lol.
Nevahascards
Pilgrim

Postby Nevahascards » Mon May 06, 2019 1:46 pm

fishwater_98 wrote:

I'm thinking about blasting it now but good God that is pricey!

Had a guy quote me for 135 an hour with estimated 6 hours. That's WAAAAAY more than I even paid for it!

Renting one is about $440 a day without media.
fishwater_98 USER_AVATAR
fishwater_98
Pilgrim

Postby fishwater_98 » Mon May 06, 2019 2:57 pm

It is expensive but still worth it, I cleaned mine with wire wheels and flap wheels on a angle grinder then pressure washed, primed, and painted. It was a dusk till dawn job and I will never ever do it again. My arms were like wet noodles for two days. Maybe just have them sand blast the actual cooking chamber inside and out and you take care of the trailer, that'll knock about half the sanding time down...which means half the cost...but still lots of personal elbow grease/time invested into it. Tough choice, money or time, two things I hate wasting.
instagram: me_llamo_blane
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Mon May 06, 2019 3:00 pm

Go get an electric sander and sand it. It won't take as long as you think. When I sand like that I wipe the metal down with gas and rags to clean it up before painting. Just get it sanded and painted, then go to work on getting the other mods done to it. Don't worry about the inside walls, Before long they will be coated with grease anyway.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon May 06, 2019 3:04 pm

If you have a compressor, then you can buy you a hand held sanding blasting pot (cheap) plus what ever grit sand and then put your goggles on and have at it. :idea:

sandblasting pot.jpg
sandblasting pot.jpg (14.06 KiB) Viewed 3853 times
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Nevahascards
Pilgrim

Postby Nevahascards » Mon May 06, 2019 3:17 pm

fishwater_98 wrote:It is expensive but still worth it, I cleaned mine with wire wheels and flap wheels on a angle grinder then pressure washed, primed, and painted. It was a dusk till dawn job and I will never ever do it again. My arms were like wet noodles for two days. Maybe just have them sand blast the actual cooking chamber inside and out and you take care of the trailer, that'll knock about half the sanding time down...which means half the cost...but still lots of personal elbow grease/time invested into it. Tough choice, money or time, two things I hate wasting.
Same here, only difference is I KNOW I can always make more money. Time is a quickly disappearing and non replenishable asset.

That being said, I'm going to sand it down myself. Lol
Nevahascards
Pilgrim

Postby Nevahascards » Mon May 06, 2019 3:17 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:If you have a compressor, then you can buy you a hand held sanding blasting pot (cheap) plus what ever grit sand and then put your goggles on and have at it. :idea:

sandblasting pot.jpg
Holy heck, no idea I could do this! You rock! Ty sir!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon May 06, 2019 3:22 pm

Back when I was messing with Hot Rods there was always something small that I wanted to repaint and that sand blasting pot was the cat's meow for me - - Good Luck :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Nevahascards
Pilgrim

Postby Nevahascards » Mon May 06, 2019 3:31 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:If you have a compressor, then you can buy you a hand held sanding blasting pot (cheap) plus what ever grit sand and then put your goggles on and have at it. :idea:

sandblasting pot.jpg
Not experienced with sand blasting!

What grit sand would be best for removing the rust? Can I just get the sand at HD or Lowes or whatnot?

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”