How to get more bark on my pig butts?

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Hoop
Pilgrim

How to get more bark on my pig butts?

Postby Hoop » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:52 am

I love pulled pork, and like most, my favorite part of it is the delicious bark. I get good bark on my butts now, but with it being such a big/thick hunk of meat I always find myself wishing there was more of that deliciousness throughout the meat. This got me thinking about splitting a butt into two pieces, in an attempt to get more surface area to rub/create more bark. Has anyone ever done this? If so, how did it turn out and how did you adjust your cook? Any thoughs or advice is greatly appreciated

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Hoop on Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
allenayres USER_AVATAR
allenayres
Rustler

Re: How to get more bark on my pig butts?

Postby allenayres » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:20 pm

I did that with a practice cook at home - it turned out ok, more bark, but I think was a little drier overall. That said - there's so much fat in a pork butt that adding a little bbq sauce made it plenty moist.
Hoop
Pilgrim

Re: RE: Re: How to get more bark on my pig butts?

Postby Hoop » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:41 am

allenayres wrote:I did that with a practice cook at home - it turned out ok, more bark, but I think was a little drier overall. That said - there's so much fat in a pork butt that adding a little bbq sauce made it plenty moist.
Thanks for the info Allen, I think I'm gonna try it on the next one and see how it comes out. I imagine the side with the bone will cook much slower so will definitely have to probe both pieces and wrap separate when time comes etc. Ill post pics and review when I do, itll be a few weeks though, as brisket and beer can chicken is already on the menu this weekend. Thank you again for the insight

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:49 am

ah yes, Beer Can Bird - - - my favorite way to cook and eat them :tup: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
red farr USER_AVATAR
Red Farr
Wrangler

Postby Red Farr » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:22 am

....yes works every time....get a big'n cut into thirds....the fat cap holds that piece together...on a small one tie it then take off the cap almost double the surface area
Red
...Blue Skies and Green Lights...
smoking piney USER_AVATAR
Smoking Piney
Outlaw

Postby Smoking Piney » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:29 pm

Separate the money muscle from the butt before the cook and rub both of them. That will give you more area for bark. The money muscle will be done before the butt, so pull and hold while the butt cooks.

The money muscle makes for killer slices. :D
John - Hopelessly addicted to smoking and grilling. :D

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”