Whitetail Opening Weekend

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Whitetail Opening Weekend

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:32 pm

Back when I was a Deer Bagger, I thought that it should be a National Holiday but those were the days and they have long since gone.

So for Y'all that still enjoy the Harvest, Adventure and Fellowship, have a Safe and Enjoyable Hunt/Trip.

IMG_0002.JPG
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Re: Whitetail Opening Weekend

Postby outlaw » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:11 am

No longer care for the taste of venison, so I no longer kill deer. Just me I guess, but as I have gotten older it just doesn't make sense to me except for survival.. If they were to put a bounty on Isis I'd never have to work another day in my life. :D :D
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
bobcat1 USER_AVATAR
bobcat1
Outlaw

Postby bobcat1 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:30 am

I go out to my brother and nephews and pop a doe. I used to be a horn hunter and a good one. Too expensive for me anymore. I still like backstrap, chili and summer sausage from venison. Does eat good!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:41 am

Back right before I just decided to stop Deer Hunting, my youngest son and I would put 5 deer "EACH" (10 total) in my freezer every season. We both loved the taste and still do and we knew how to dress, process and cook each cut the way they're supposed to be done. He will be headed to their East Texas Piney Woods Lease this ennin and I sure hope I get some Bambi cuts soon. :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:34 am

B.C. speaking of Does, here's a funny for you.
Back in 2005 I was a Single Feller living on a small 7ac place 12 miles west of Lampasas. One day I saw an ad in the local rag from a local Rancher offering Does for $100 a piece. So I called my two sons and told them that I would pay for the "Kills" if they wanted to come out and all harvest some Meat. They jumped all over that and showed up at my doorsteps a couple of afternoons later. We all three decided to kill 2 apiece but as it turned out we ended up with 7 all toll. We loaded them in the back of my Nissan, laughing, rejoicing and so proud of ourselves. When we got to my house it was 3:30pm and my youngest son said "Hope Y'all realize what we'll be doing for the next several hours." We had a big laugh and kept saying "well it seemed like a good idea at the time" :banghead: :laughing7: :D :lol: All 7 were cleaned, quartered and packed in Ice by dark. Lots of work but WHAT FUN WITH MY SONS. They next day my youngest said "Dad can you still make cream gravy?" - - I answered "Yup" - - he replied "then how about we chicken fry a couple of those backstraps?" - - - - I called my older retired neighbor and invited him over - - - "DANG" that little old man could eat. :D Sorry for the memory rambling.

Doe hunt-BoDavDeer.JPG
Doe hunt-BoDavDeer.JPG (28.28 KiB) Viewed 1090 times

Doe hunt EmLucyDeer.JPG
Doe hunt EmLucyDeer.JPG (27.64 KiB) Viewed 1090 times
fat USER_AVATAR
FAT
Wrangler

Postby FAT » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:06 pm

Chicken fried backdrops, scrambled eggs and white gravy....yummy.

Return to “General Discussion”