Fire management

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

JustinCouch
Outlaw

Fire management

Postby JustinCouch » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:03 am

After a lot of practice I think I finally got my fire management down on the Oklahoma Joe. It took several attempts before I figured out the right combination of charcoal lump charcoal I meant to say and wood. I have been using way too much lump in the past. I used about half as much as I usually do and now that I have dry wood and everything is rolling along nicely. My temp now is about 270 which I hope is not too high for baby back ribs.. thank you all for your help.
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Fire management

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:12 am

JustinCouch wrote:After a lot of practice I think I finally got my fire management down on the Oklahoma Joe. It took several attempts before I figured out the right combination of charcoal lump charcoal I meant to say and wood. I have been using way too much lump in the past. I used about half as much as I usually do and now that I have dry wood and everything is rolling along nicely. My temp now is about 270 which I hope is not too high for baby back ribs.. thank you all for your help.
270 will be fine imo.
I stepped away from the 225/250 long ago for the ( management ) reason as well. I don't lose as much hair anymore trying for the 225/250.

In all honesty, I don't believe a difference happens, but that's just me.

Glad to hear you got it dialed in :)
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Re: Fire management

Postby JustinCouch » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:14 am

Didn't think I was ever going to get this thing figured out I'm sure glad I didn't lose patience and sell this thing.
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: Fire management

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:09 pm

JustinCouch wrote:Didn't think I was ever going to get this thing figured out I'm sure glad I didn't lose patience and sell this thing.
Been where you are right now...

Cept, I wasn't gonna sell my Akorn, it was on the launch pad ( The deck ) and counting down quickly!
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:40 pm

We cook between 275° and 325° your'e fine at 270°. The first thing I tell folks when they venture off into the offset world is find your cookers sweet spot and let her cook there. You will enjoy your cooks much more that way. Congratulations on learning your cooker. :D
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:50 pm

Success!! :cheers: 270 is a great spot for the joe. Mine does just fine right there as well. Between 250 and 325 is easy money. Anything more or less is much more work.
(Insert witty signature here)
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:03 am

Right there with ya.... fought a pit for over a year before discovering the joy of running the sweet spot. I would still own that pit if it hadn't proved to be too small for my needs (a whole 'nudder learning experience).

As I read somewhere on the interwebs.... 270* is the new 225* :chef: :chef: :chef:
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:22 am

IMO=.02¢
the ONLY thing that really benefits for long slow cooks in the Low 200°s is brisket - PERIOD
Pork butts = pulled pork, both ribs - all actually cook better in the high 200°s
and none of the poultries should be cooked below 300°- 325° is better or you get rubber skin
22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”