Squash

Looking for something special but dont see it? Post your request here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jasonpalderson
Pilgrim

Squash

Postby jasonpalderson » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:07 pm

Anyone ever cook up winter squash?
Butternut or blue Hubbard. We have a boat load of both. My lady nukes them and they're good but I'm looking for something different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Squash

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:49 pm

My late Minnesota Friend's used to rave about his Wife's Squash that she did on the grill and it seems like she stuffed some also. Let me give Angel Karen a shout and see if she'll share a couple of squash recipes. - - - - - be back later, I hope :tup: :chef: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:00 pm

I love butternut pumpkin. The nicest way I do it is I cube it into about 1 inch squares and put in a bowl with about 2 tablespoons water and 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, cling film it and shake it up. Then nuke. Beautiful.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:03 am

Yo, Jason, here's the Grilled one that she and Bob used.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/254989/gri ... ut-squash/

I'll post up a couple more later this morning :chef:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
jasonpalderson
Pilgrim

Postby jasonpalderson » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:49 am

Thanks. We'll give it a go

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:56 am

I personally have never cooked butternut or acorn squash but I have done my share of yeller crooked necks and zuchinni and I love to slice them like a hockey puck and then douse with Zesty Italian Dressing and grill on K-Bob skewers. A little Suckle Busters Hootchie Mama seasoning sure doesn't hurt anything either. :chef: :salut:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:56 pm

Here's another from Mz Karen:

There are tons of recipes out there. We usually cooked acorn or buttercup - darker varieties. Found some recipes like what I did tonight with the acorn. Cut in half... clean out seeds... place cut side down in a pan... Add about a half inch of water... Cook at 350 for an hour... Turnover squash, empty left over water... Add butter and brown sugar to the cup on the squash and return to oven for about 10 minutes.
You can either serve/eat them in the skin, or scoop them out and mash them or mix them up and serve out of a bowl. I prefer eating it with the skin on as it stays warmer longer.

Karen
jasonpalderson
Pilgrim

Postby jasonpalderson » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:57 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:I personally have never cooked butternut or acorn squash but I have done my share of yeller crooked necks and zuchinni and I love to slice them like a hockey puck and then douse with Zesty Italian Dressing and grill on K-Bob skewers. A little Suckle Busters Hootchie Mama seasoning sure doesn't hurt anything either. :chef: :salut:

Yeah, we love creole and Cajun seasoning on our zucchini and yellow squash.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:54 pm

Back when I deer hunted to excess, I always had some fresh Venison and that meant Backstrap. I really enjoyed making K-Bobs from 2" cubed backstrap, own-yawn, jalapeno, yeller squash, zuchinni and par-boiled new taters. They were like a Feast on a Stick :tup: :chef:
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:22 pm

we haven't gardened in years
but we ALWAYS have yellow crookneck squash in the veggie drawer
we cook it in our steamer on the stovetop
Attachments
02450_01_yellowcrook.jpg
02450_01_yellowcrook.jpg (56.59 KiB) Viewed 6731 times
22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:25 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Back when I deer hunted to excess, I always had some fresh Venison and that meant Backstrap. I really enjoyed making K-Bobs from 2" cubed backstrap, own-yawn, jalapeno, yeller squash, zuchinni and par-boiled new taters. They were like a Feast on a Stick :tup: :chef:

Talking of venison, you might like this, took what I thought were fillet steaks out of the freezer for family dinner, about 3 hrs from cooking I was getting ready for prep, took out of the bag, venison back strap steaks, forgot I had those, only me and my son eat venison and he was out of town for 4 days. The cat that's not mine was the winner, he had venison 4 nights in a row,lol.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:28 pm

Russ wrote:
OldUsedParts wrote:Back when I deer hunted to excess, I always had some fresh Venison and that meant Backstrap. I really enjoyed making K-Bobs from 2" cubed backstrap, own-yawn, jalapeno, yeller squash, zuchinni and par-boiled new taters. They were like a Feast on a Stick :tup: :chef:

Talking of venison, you might like this, took what I thought were fillet steaks out of the freezer for family dinner, about 3 hrs from cooking I was getting ready for prep, took out of the bag, venison back strap steaks, forgot I had those, only me and my son eat venison and he was out of town for 4 days. The cat that's not mine was the winner, he had venison 4 nights in a row,lol.
Russ

OUCH! I loved my cat
but what a waste of good venison!!
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:31 pm

CaptJack wrote:
Russ wrote:

Russ

OUCH! I loved my cat

That's how we roll around here capt, the cat just turned up one day, he's at the French doors every night at 8 o clock waiting on me. Venison was a treat for him. He lives well I can assure you that.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:33 pm

Russ wrote:
CaptJack wrote:
Russ wrote:

Russ

OUCH! I loved my cat

That's how we roll around here capt, the cat just turned up one day, he's at the French doors every night at 8 o clock waiting on me. Venison was a treat for him. He lives well I can assure you that.
Russ

cats are true carnivores
if you only feed them meat, never dry food they stay healthy
Cerveza at 18 - made it to 20
Attachments
Cerveza.jpg
Cerveza.jpg (79.5 KiB) Viewed 6725 times
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:38 pm

Russ wrote:The cat that's not mine was the winner, he had venison 4 nights in a row,lol.
Russ

"somebody git'a Rope" - - - I have 3 dictator cats but they would NEVER get my Backstrap :D

Return to “Request a Recipe”