Crab Burger Delight

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

User avatar
Williep
Outlaw
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:57 am
Location: Baytown, TX
Contact:

Re: Crab Burger Delight

Postby Williep » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:34 am

CaptJack wrote:outstanding
$20 burgers ;)
Image

crab meat is still cheaper at Sam's ;)



Crab meat isn't cheap, that's for sure, $15 a pound at Rose's Seafood.




.
User avatar
Txdragon
Deputy
Posts: 3178
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 3:13 pm
Location: Forney, TX
Contact:

Re: Crab Burger Delight

Postby Txdragon » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:20 am

CaptJack wrote:totally agree with using saltines for the filler
also crushed up tortilla chips


How about Ritz or any of the other buttery/sweet crackers?
(Insert witty signature here)
User avatar
CaptJack
Outlaw
Posts: 1394
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:26 pm
Location: Houston
Contact:

Re: Crab Burger Delight

Postby CaptJack » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:09 am

Txdragon wrote:
CaptJack wrote:totally agree with using saltines for the filler
also crushed up tortilla chips

How about Ritz or any of the other buttery/sweet crackers?

never thought of using a sweet butter cracker, i'll have to try that
always went for the salt coarse ones
22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates • CampChef pellet cooker
User avatar
Boots
Wordsmith
Posts: 3073
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:16 pm
Location: McKinney, Texas, USA!
Contact:

Re: Crab Burger Delight

Postby Boots » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:39 am

Oh yeah oh yeah. I'm now inspired. If I weren't already committed to pulled pork and brisket tacos this weekend I'd be doing crab dollops.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to start a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
User avatar
CaptJack
Outlaw
Posts: 1394
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:26 pm
Location: Houston
Contact:

Re: Crab Burger Delight

Postby CaptJack » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:03 pm

Willie,
I was WRONG!!
crab is $22 a pound at Sam's

Image
22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates • CampChef pellet cooker
User avatar
Williep
Outlaw
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:57 am
Location: Baytown, TX
Contact:

Re: Crab Burger Delight

Postby Williep » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:40 am

CaptJack wrote:Willie,
I was WRONG!!
crab is $22 a pound at Sam's

Image



Man oh man, and I thought $15 was high. :shock:



.
User avatar
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon
Posts: 2695
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Crab Burger Delight

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:21 am

That range of 15 - 22 a # is pretty average. Sometimes the higher $ will be near 28$ a #. We have ours here at 28 a # but you have to consider the quality of the meat.
I've had probably more of my share of seafood, especially crab over the years and there are 3 types of crab meat..well, technically 4 depending on who you ask.

The 15$ a # is going to be claw meat which is the chewier part you can get in the can.

The most $$$ would be called Jumbo Lump.I myself think this type is too sweet and the crab also has only 2 particular muscles of this kind so I'm sure this is why it's so $$$. Don't get me wrong, it's packed with flavor and tender as can be, but I wouldn't pay that a second time.

Regular Lump and Fin meat are the others. If I had a choice, I'd eat these two types as my first choice..


Just figured I'd throw that out there, hopefully it explains why there is such a huge swing in pricing per #.

Image
User avatar
CaptJack
Outlaw
Posts: 1394
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:26 pm
Location: Houston
Contact:

Re: Crab Burger Delight

Postby CaptJack » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:27 am

woodenvisions wrote:That range of 15 - 22 a # is pretty average. Sometimes the higher $ will be near 28$ a #. We have ours here at 28 a # but you have to consider the quality of the meat.
I've had probably more of my share of seafood, especially crab over the years and there are 3 types of crab meat..well, technically 4 depending on who you ask.

The 15$ a # is going to be claw meat which is the chewier part you can get in the can.

The most $$$ would be called Jumbo Lump.I myself think this type is too sweet and the crab also has only 2 particular muscles of this kind so I'm sure this is why it's so $$$. Don't get me wrong, it's packed with flavor and tender as can be, but I wouldn't pay that a second time.

Regular Lump and Fin meat are the others. If I had a choice, I'd eat these two types as my first choice..
Just figured I'd throw that out there, hopefully it explains why there is such a huge swing in pricing per #
.

thanks for the lesson
Image
22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates • CampChef pellet cooker
User avatar
CaptJack
Outlaw
Posts: 1394
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:26 pm
Location: Houston
Contact:

Re: Crab Burger Delight

Postby CaptJack » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:02 pm

I went out shopping crab meat this morning

the best deal was at HEB+
Reg.Lump- $12.97# fresh

Belden's (Prem.Jewish/Kosher grocery)
all three grades- very fresh
Jmb.Lump- $32#, Reg.Lump- $20#, Claw- $15#

Walmart grocery - canned pasturized
Reg.Lump- $24.64#, Claw- $17.74#

FountainView Seafood Market- dedicated fish market
all three grades- very fresh
Jmb.Lump- $35#, Reg.Lump- $23#, Claw- $18#

Sam's - Premium Lump- pasturized- $22#

Costco? couldn't find it but guessing about the same as Sam's
22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates • CampChef pellet cooker
User avatar
Williep
Outlaw
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:57 am
Location: Baytown, TX
Contact:

Re: Crab Burger Delight

Postby Williep » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:17 am

Good information, the next time I'm in Seabrook/Kemah I'll check the prices at different seafood market's but the reg. lump I got the other day was $15 a pound.
User avatar
CaptJack
Outlaw
Posts: 1394
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:26 pm
Location: Houston
Contact:

Re: Crab Burger Delight

Postby CaptJack » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:32 pm

Williep wrote:Good information, the next time I'm in Seabrook/Kemah I'll check the prices at different seafood market's but the reg. lump I got the other day was $15 a pound.

that was an excellent price for fresh regular lump Image
thanks for buying it, making your burgers, and getting us all interested
I think everybody learned a lot from this thread
22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates • CampChef pellet cooker
User avatar
Williep
Outlaw
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:57 am
Location: Baytown, TX
Contact:

Re: Crab Burger Delight

Postby Williep » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:59 pm

:salut: :salut: :salut: :salut:

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest