investigating a stick burner

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

el luchador
Pilgrim

Re: investigating a stick burner

Postby el luchador » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:33 pm

GRailsback wrote:
el luchador wrote:
GRailsback wrote:If you decide to build your own don't go any less than 1/4 in. And make sure you reach out to a the guy on here that is the master at building. He will get you going in the right direction with proper dimensions so you only have to do it one time.

ok, duly noted. the price difference is not much so I'll definitely go 1/4. 3/8 I think would be way too heavy even if Im building it at my house. Resale would be more difficult I think.

who is this master? I must talk to him. Please share :)

K.A.M. is his user name on here. He can send the pit calculator that you will need for dimensions. If you want to build something that works. Afterall there is a method to the madness.

thankyou. I'll definitely look him up
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:30 am

el luchador wrote:
Chasdev wrote:I think the best way to start on the cheap is to snag a retired propane bottle and go from there.
Franklin has some good video on how he built his.
Still think a used one is the best bang for the buck, metal and cutting said metal is getting pretty spendy these days.

I agree. I have a lot of wood working and metal working tools but I prefer not to build unless I have to. why spend time doing something if I can just buy it for the same price or maybe a little more?

if you see any good deals, keep me in mind :D

I've seen some good deals but unless you want to drive to Austin, they probably won't do you much good.
Get on Craigslist and search all the cities that you are willing to drive to and you will find something sooner or later..
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:42 pm

The cookers at Academy are ok and will put out great BBQ with a couple of mods. My son-in-law has a 20" x 42" OK Joe that was bought from Academy years ago I took it and made a couple of changes and it is an awesome little cooker. Building your own gives you the satisfaction of building into the cooker what you want without out a lot of extra expense.
Most offset cookers that are set up properly work as intended some folks expect more out of them than they can deliver.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:16 am

If I still owned (or had access to) a shop, equipped with metal fab tables, welders, press brakes, band saws and the other bits needed to fab up a cooker, I would be all over it..
BUT, those days are behind me so buying an expensive unit for 50 cents on the dollar is all I got left, that or cooking on a cheap piece of junk and learning how to drive it like I stole it.
el luchador
Pilgrim

Postby el luchador » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:49 pm

you aint lyin chasdev.

I was feeling optimistic so I dropped by garland steel to see if I could pick up a half sheet of 1/4 .

when I saw that hunk of metal and was told how much it weighed I said forget it and got the heck out of there.
fabbing something out of plate would be too much for my skill/will.
el luchador
Pilgrim

Postby el luchador » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:50 pm

k.a.m. wrote:The cookers at Academy are ok and will put out great BBQ with a couple of mods. My son-in-law has a 20" x 42" OK Joe that was bought from Academy years ago I took it and made a couple of changes and it is an awesome little cooker. Building your own gives you the satisfaction of building into the cooker what you want without out a lot of extra expense.
Most offset cookers that are set up properly work as intended some folks expect more out of them than they can deliver.

hi, thanks for that input KAM
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:12 am

Here's an example that sounds right..https://austin.craigslist.org/for/d/cus ... 97737.html
el luchador
Pilgrim

Postby el luchador » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:51 pm

Chasdev wrote:Here's an example that sounds right..https://austin.craigslist.org/for/d/cus ... 97737.html

lol.its already gone. you aint kidding though-there are some deals in austin. no harm done though as Im currently building something I believe could turn out to be a baaad stick burner for under $100

20171007_092938.jpg
the full weber uds
el luchador
Pilgrim

Postby el luchador » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:37 pm

well I got the stick burning itch scratched and have some interesting results.

firstly, I spent $60 and built a stick burning UDS. I had a leftover weber kettle that I had bought for $20 so I guess the true cost is $80

I bought some hickory logs from Academy and burned them at a roaring burn to cook some ribs.

I went through about $15 of wood in a 3.5 hour cook. thats about 3 to 4 times more expensive than using the charcoal uds.

I was able to keep temps between 260 and 280 for most of the cook but it was a lot more work vs charcoal uds

Smoke ring was the biggest and prettiest Ive ever made.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

now, for the smoke flavor???

no difference in smoke flavor. with the amout of (clean) smoke emitting the drum, I would have bet on a way more intense smoke flavor but it was just as light as using lump charcoal.

so I have to conclude that a clean burning fire does not provide a smokier flavor than a charcoal /chunk UDS

Im glad I didnt drop $750 on a smoker to come to this conclusion- that would have been disappointing.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”