Russ's Homework LOL (your indulgence plez)

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Re: Russ's Homework LOL (your indulgence plez)

Postby outlaw » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:53 am

You have now been "Southernized". I knew it was just a matter of time before we got you. For those that like alot of crunch we have something like this but I stole this pick from the web. I like mine with less crunch but my wife likes this.
Attachments
il_570xN.486615320_lhqo.jpg
il_570xN.486615320_lhqo.jpg (43.52 KiB) Viewed 2193 times
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:56 am

thanks for that, Pal, I have one that I haven't used in years and I don't know why I haven't - - - we called those "Corn Pones" - - - s'dat what Y'all call'em when they are baked in that ?
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:04 am

OldUsedParts wrote:thanks for that, Pal, I have one that I haven't used in years and I don't know why I haven't - - - we called those "Corn Pones" - - - s'dat what Y'all call'em when they are baked in that ?

Yep, or Dove bait. We used to make up some just before Sept 1st when dove season opens and scatter them around the stock tank where they typically landed for a drink. Easy pickins. :laughing7: :laughing7:
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:07 am

YIKES, I found it and, Man, do I need to do some cleaning and re-seasoning :scratch:
IMG_0002.JPG
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:11 am

outlaw wrote:Yep, or Dove bait. We used to make up some just before Sept 1st when dove season opens and scatter them around the stock tank where they typically landed for a drink. Easy pickins. :laughing7: :laughing7:

you shot a Dove that wasn't in flight :?: :shock:
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:23 am

OldUsedParts wrote:
outlaw wrote:Yep, or Dove bait. We used to make up some just before Sept 1st when dove season opens and scatter them around the stock tank where they typically landed for a drink. Easy pickins. :laughing7: :laughing7:

you shot a Dove that wasn't in flight :?: :shock:

Heck no, I'm camped out under the tree waiting for them to come flying in, they never get a chance to land. There is 153 acres there and seems to be a natural flight pattern for the doves. It's usually planted in maize or wheat so they are hanging around till dove season opens. Then they get scared from all the guns going off. Haven't been at all this year. Funny how your priorities change. My folks used to pull us out of school before noon on opening day so we could get ready.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:25 am

OldUsedParts wrote:YIKES, I found it and, Man, do I need to do some cleaning and re-seasoning :scratch:
IMG_0002.JPG

Let me know how you clean and reseason. I need to dig mine out and do the same. I also have a cast iron bacon press I need to do as well.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:58 am

Here's what I did and am DOING

Scrub skillet well in hot soapy water.
Dry thoroughly.
Spread a thin layer of melted shortening or vegetable oil over the skillet.
(I melted 2 tblsp Crisco in this bowl in the microwave and then applied it with a brush)
IMG_0003.JPG

Place it upside down on a middle oven rack at 375°. (Place foil on a lower rack to catch drips.)
Bake 1 hour; let cool in the oven.
(it is seasoning as I type and fix breakfast)
IMG_0004.JPG

Note: I brush the entire pone pan with the melted Crisco. :salut:
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:05 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Here's what I did and am DOING

Scrub skillet well in hot soapy water.
Dry thoroughly.
Spread a thin layer of melted shortening or vegetable oil over the skillet.
(I melted 2 tblsp Crisco in this bowl in the microwave and then applied it with a brush)
IMG_0003.JPG

Place it upside down on a middle oven rack at 375°. (Place foil on a lower rack to catch drips.)
Bake 1 hour; let cool in the oven.
(it is seasoning as I type and fix breakfast)
IMG_0004.JPG

Note: I brush the entire pone pan with the melted Crisco. :salut:

How many times do you predict this will be necessary?
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:58 am

It really depends on "usage", However, I do my Skillet about every other year BUT I also take care of it in NOT OVER CLEANING after each use. :dont: The non-smooth bottom on this one may require Seasoning more often :scratch: only time will tell :dont: Good Luck

I had a N'yorker buddy that asked how to Season a skillet and when I told him about not cleaning with soap and water after using, he replied "My Wife won't go for that, so I'd be wasting my time" :dont:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:13 am

turned off the Oven after 75 min and now I'll let it sit and cool off in the Oven - - - it may get kicked out early by my baked tater but probably not :laughing7: :D :lol: it'll probably be a week or more before I get to try it out - - - Docs appts and Family Reunion may take top shelf next month
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:59 am

OUP, I used to have one of those corn stick pans! No idea where it went, though.

We season cast iron like you do, but use the gas rig instead.
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:38 am

Finally finished and I like the results - - - I just might have to try it whether I have time or not. :idea:
Glad I put that foil drip catcher under it. :tup:
IMG_0008.JPG
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:48 pm

Update, wife arrived home after hair appointment, I nuked a piece of oups cornbread, not as much butter as I like, but she sure enjoyed it, we agreed we have never had anything close to this. She said we are having an "merican" night with our kids soon.
Cornbread with beer butt chicken and other things merican. Salsa etc as well. Hot dogs for the wee kids.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:50 pm

to the Lady of the House :salut: :flag:

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”