Russ's Homework LOL (your indulgence plez)

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Russ's Homework LOL (your indulgence plez)

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:25 pm

I promised Russ that as soon as he got delivery on that Martha White Sweet Yellow Cornbread Mix, I would post a "silly tutorial" so here goes. :whiteflag:

Pardnah, there are 3 steps on the back of the package and here is "My Take" on them.
STEP 1
MWstep1.jpg

OK, I "ONLY" use a seasoned cast iron Skillet and it is "ONLY" used for Cornbread and nothing else.
I take a paper towel and some Crisco (mandatory for me at least) and cover the inside of the skillet well.
MWgreased.jpg

Then I place the greased skillet in the COLD OVEN. Then I pre-heat the Oven and Skillet to 400 degrees.
MWpreheat.jpg

MWpre.jpg

MWoven.jpg

Step 2
MWstep2.jpg

While the oven is heating I mix the cornbread dry mix according to directions.
IMG_0056.JPG

IMG_0057.JPG

When the oven is preheated to 400 then I remove the HOT SKILLET
and pour in well stirred mix into and place skillet in 400 degree oven.
MWpour.jpg

Step 3
MWstep3.jpg

I then set the timer on 20 minutes but that's what works for my Oven, your may vary.
Here it is after 9 minutes and you can tell it is starting to rise.
MWhalf.jpg

When the top looks like this I take it out and dump it onto a plate.
MWfinal.jpg

Here is the nice bottom crust that is so important and made possible by the seasoned and preheated skillet.
MWbottom.jpg

Look how clean the skillet is after cooking the cornbread. I will only wash this in hot water - - I will and never have used any soap on my seasoned skillet. Actually they will almost just wipe clean without washing but I DO WASH IT>
MWcleanskillet.jpg

Just a couple of Final Pics - - the Cabbage Patch Stew was the REASON for the CORNBREAD.
ENJOY, MY FRIEND :tup: :salut:
MWslice.jpg

MWplate.jpg
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Russ's Homework LOL (your indulgence plez)

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:26 pm

Thank Y'all for putting up with my boredom induced Sillyness :whiteflag:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:33 pm

A great tutorial, with plenty of emphasis on the key ingredient. A well seasoned and heated iron skillet. Depending on what I am making it for I use this or Jiffy brand if you want something a little sweeter. They both are great.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:39 pm

Definitely - - - I am a Jiffy fan also - - - even got a Jiffy Cookbook :tup: The Wiffy really likes the MW so, ?well you know?
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:54 pm

Excellent tutorial, OUP! :salut:

The MW mix looks like it produces a more 'textury' corn bread than Jiffy. The less-sweet would appeal to us, too.
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:20 pm

Si Si Sailor, even tho that sliced piece has the look of a swiss chez block - - - the moisture is always there in full force - - - the wiffy had her two big wedges with butter and a bowl of cabbage patch stew - - - she do likes dem bouf :tup: you can break it up in bite size pieces and pour sweet milk over it and almost O.D.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:25 pm

Looks good! Nice step by step.

What all goes in cabbage patch stew?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:35 pm

Pretty simple, Sooner, altho I tweeked it some, it's basically ground beef, rotels, jalapeno pintos, bacon, chopped celery, chopped own-yawn, little bit of sugar and cabbage. I think I posted a recipe here - - - I'll see if I can find it. OH, todays tweek I substituted charo beans and fire roasted rotel and green chilies.

FOUND IT
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29919&p=247587&hilit=cabbage+patch+stew#p247587
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:47 pm

Yes sir, good look'in skillet of cornbread right there. :cheers: :cheers:
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:52 pm

I'd have to be pretty thick if I couldn't follow those instructions. Thanks emm, I'm using free range egg, I only buy these, some are pretty big, about 4 double Yorkers in every dozen. Have to find a small one so I don't alter instructions too much. Milk will be what we call blue top, full cream milk or should I use trim milk?

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:00 pm

Pard, I use what we call Sweet Milk like you would put on your Corn Flakes or Cheerios - - - HOWEVER, I have used Evaporated Milk (Pet, Carnation, ETC) before :dont: If you mean Slim when you say Trim then YES that would be fine also. You know you can crack a 4 yolker and only use part BUT save the rest for Breakfast :tup:
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:07 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Pard, I use what we call Sweet Milk like you would put on your Corn Flakes or Cheerios - - - HOWEVER, I have used Evaporated Milk (Pet, Carnation, ETC) before :dont: If you mean Slim when you say Trim then YES that would be fine also. You know you can crack a 4 yolker and only use part BUT save the rest for Breakfast :tup:

All good, thanks again, don't think I will get time today but prolly tomorrow. Pics WILL follow, I note your butter is almost white, ours is a real yellow butter, must be more fat in it?

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:45 pm

check you PMs
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:59 pm

Excellent tutorial
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:35 am

thanks, Y'all, now to see if it worked :P :scratch: :laughing7: :D

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”