Just Bought A Yoder Loaded Wichita

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

freddie987
Pilgrim

Re: Just Bought A Yoder Loaded Wichita

Postby freddie987 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:30 pm

Thats horrible. How did you start the fire? Charcoal? Kindling? Etc...
slamkeys USER_AVATAR
slamkeys
Rustler

Postby slamkeys » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:31 pm

Yoder Loaded Wichita 2016
Big Green Egg 2014
BurningStick
Pilgrim

Postby BurningStick » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:00 pm

About 10lbs of coals, it's still smoking like that on oak splits only.

The wood I bought wasn't heart wood, lots of bark. Pretty much crap for the price I paid. It's a new store close to me ran by an ex-Yoder employee.
freddie987
Pilgrim

Postby freddie987 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:23 pm

How frustrating
BurningStick
Pilgrim

Postby BurningStick » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:10 am

Well...my wife and granddaughter loved the jalapeño poppers anyway. I have two flats and one corn beef brisket still cooking.

I just didn't have time to get a load of wood.
RogerWilco
Pilgrim

Postby RogerWilco » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:03 pm

slamkeys wrote:Image

Now that's funny!
RogerWilco
Pilgrim

Postby RogerWilco » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:03 pm

Sad, but funny.
BurningStick
Pilgrim

Postby BurningStick » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:05 pm

I had a good laugh at that myself. I'll make sure and have (2) chimneys full next time and I'll only buy heart wood or strip the bark. I preheated every split I added. Briskets finished resting at 4:00am. Still sitting in the fridge wrapped in foil. I'm going to have a strong beverage before I open them up.

I'm sending all my photos to Yoder as I tried running my fire in the back of the firebox like ATB's Chef Tom did on his YouTube video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YCX5C0DIrfc
BurningStick
Pilgrim

Postby BurningStick » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:21 pm

Wish I had a 12' brick wall around my patio like in the video. I was working with 25 mph gusts causing the smoker to back flow every couple minutes.
BurningStick
Pilgrim

Postby BurningStick » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:45 pm

I'm selling the Wichita and getting a Kingman, the bugs are all worked out on the design and I don't have the time or patience to deal with the Wichita.

Going to be tough selling the Wichita local as Craigslist buyers aren't looking to spend this kind of money. And people that know this smoker won't buy it most likely.

The kingman might crack my patio a little more so I better pour a footing and pads for it to set on, lol.

I sure hate hate buying twice, made this mistake so many times.

Thank you slamkeys for all your posts.
RogerWilco
Pilgrim

Postby RogerWilco » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:42 pm

Ya' know, there's always Horizon Smokers. They don't seem to have any of these problems as far as I know. Once a fire is started in any of the several Horizons with which I've played or been around, the draft through the cooker is strong enough that no wind seems to create a back draft, regardless of direction. And this is in those oh-so-light-and-variable Oklahoma breezes we are famous for. Plus, no kiln-dried, preheated, debarked, specific-gravity, unicorn wood is required, which is of course a plus, as well.

Good luck with whatever you end up with!
BurningStick
Pilgrim

Postby BurningStick » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:26 pm

I'll check them out.

RogerWilco, that user name brings back memories of the beginning of my online gaming days, third party online chat was still new to me. Almost 20 years ago...man I'm getting old.

Thanks for posting!

Edit: Those are kick butt smokers, looks like a lot of copyright infringement going on between Yoder and Horizon. If the Marshall had a top shelf pictured I'd drive there tomorrow, only an hour or so from me. I've got to see it running and kick the tires (wagon wheels) before I buy though. Very impressed!
Last edited by BurningStick on Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slamkeys USER_AVATAR
slamkeys
Rustler

Postby slamkeys » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:37 pm

I think you'd be surprised how fast a Yoder smoker will move on Craigslist. I frequently search the site for Yoders and I've only seen 2 units come up for sale, and both of them were gone within a week.

24" RD Special Marshal - pretty much a Kingman with a lower firebox and vent, and the sliding convection plate:

I'm eager to see if the "new production run" of Kingman smokers is also going to lower the intake damper, because the current design still flows out the top hole:

People have been encouraging me to look into Shirley Fabrication too. They have good prices for what you get, and the welding is supposed to be excellent.
Yoder Loaded Wichita 2016
Big Green Egg 2014
BurningStick
Pilgrim

Postby BurningStick » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:12 pm

slamkeys wrote:24" RD Special Marshal - pretty much a Kingman with a lower firebox and vent, and the sliding convection plate:

And less $ than I paid for the Loaded Wichita w/charcoal basket, log lighter. Please tell me it has a top shelf cooking grate? The photos I seen doesn't show one.

I hope RD doesn't mean R&D i.e., Research and Development. I do that for a living however at a much higher level in aerospace. LOL!
Last edited by BurningStick on Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
freddie987
Pilgrim

Postby freddie987 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:28 pm

Yes it does:

http://www.horizonbbqsmokers.com/backya ... l-smoker-1

I will always regret not buying a 24” rd special instead of my yoder wichita

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”