What I learned smoking my first wagyu brisket

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

tri3forme USER_AVATAR
tri3forme
Rustler

What I learned smoking my first wagyu brisket

Postby tri3forme » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:28 pm

1) There is nothing finer than a wagyu brisket. If you're looking for the moistest, most tender and succulent piece of meat, this is your ticket.
2) It cooks waaaaay faster than I had expected.

Would I spend that kind of $ again? Absolutely, but certainly not very often as I do have limited funds and wagyu brisket is just too rich to enjoy all the time.
I don't eat to live....I live to eat
fat USER_AVATAR
FAT
Wrangler

Re: What I learned smoking my first wagyu brisket

Postby FAT » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:31 pm

Tell us more.
Cost?
Noticeable differences
Pictures

Thanks

I thought I read somewhere that the real deal was not available in the U.S, though advertised as such.
tri3forme USER_AVATAR
tri3forme
Rustler

Postby tri3forme » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:05 pm

FAT wrote:Tell us more.
Cost?
Noticeable differences
Pictures

Thanks

I thought I read somewhere that the real deal was not available in the U.S, though advertised as such.

I think I only came across one 100% wagyu rancher and it was like $180 for a brisket (can't remember actual weight for that price). There were 2 reasons I wasn't interested in it.....cost and just too much marbling, making it far too rich. Most 'wagyu' is crossbred with Angus here in the States, like Snakeriver Farms. I bought mine from A Bar N Ranch, located in North Texas. Decided to buy from them because they were Texas born, $10-$20 cheaper than competitors (per brisket) and shipping was only $16. I bought 2 x 11-14 lb briskets @ $120/each. I still have one more in the freezer :-) They weighed in @ 12.8 and 11.8 lbs and averaged $9.76/lb overall (not including shipping).
As far as differences are concerned: the tenderness, moisture of the meat and richness was the standout for me. As far as cooking, it cooked far quicker than I expected. 7 hrs @ 275 for a 10.5# (after trim) brisket.
Pic's: I only took a couple pics at the beginning and one after 3 hrs (will post through Tapatalk). By the time I sliced this thing, I was already 4 margaritas in and wasn't thinking about taking more pics. Next time I will do a more diligent job of taking pics all the way to the plate.
tri3forme USER_AVATAR
tri3forme
Rustler

Postby tri3forme » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:08 pm

IMG_2155.JPG
IMG_2154.JPG
IMG_2156.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Caeyers
Pilgrim

Postby Caeyers » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:07 am

Wow, nice piece of meat!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
SMOKEYJIM44
Pilgrim

Postby SMOKEYJIM44 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:46 am

That do look mighty good, but I'd have to take out a loan to buy one of them. My price range for briskets goes up to about $1.96/lb. for choice angus. :(
Back in Texas, at last !!!! :texas:
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:14 am

SMOKEYJIM44 wrote:That do look mighty good, but I'd have to take out a loan to buy one of them. My price range for briskets goes up to about $1.96/lb. for choice angus. :(

*thud*

We just saw some briskets 'on sale' for nine a pound.

That Wagyu is some hunk-o-cow, though.
Moink!
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:52 am

I did a little looking at this after the post. My initial thought was this is not true wagyu which in reality is both true and false. Where I was mistaken was I thought Kobe and Wagyu was the same, but it is not. There is a large American Wagyu association but they just raise that breed.(It can be any of 4 different breeds commonly called Wagyu)(Wagyu just means Japanese cow) The diet, and massaging of the animal for the Kobe beef is what makes the meats marbeling so extraordinary. I'm not convinced that just the breed alone will yield anything better than prime. Be worth a try though as the supplier mentioned has a great website and the prices are not that far out of line with prime prices.

https://www.abarnmeats.com/shop/brisket
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:59 am

outlaw wrote:I did a little looking at this after the post. My initial thought was this is not true wagyu which in reality is both true and false. Where I was mistaken was I thought Kobe and Wagyu was the same, but it is not. There is a large American Wagyu association but they just raise that breed.(It can be any of 4 different breeds commonly called Wagyu)(Wagyu just means Japanese cow) The diet, and massaging of the animal for the Kobe beef is what makes the meats marbeling so extraordinary. I'm not convinced that just the breed alone will yield anything better than prime. Be worth a try though as the supplier mentioned has a great website and the prices are not that far out of line with prime prices.

I always thought you cannot actually label the product Kobe beef unless it comes from Kobe. At any rate, they do massage the animals and feed them beer. :laughing7:
Moink!
nicks22
Pilgrim

Postby nicks22 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:02 am

Would love to see the first cut/smoke ring and bark
tri3forme USER_AVATAR
tri3forme
Rustler

Postby tri3forme » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:06 am

Sailor Kenshin wrote:
I always thought you cannot actually label the product Kobe beef unless it comes from Kobe. At any rate, they do massage the animals and feed them beer. :laughing7:

That's correct.....Kobe must come from Kobe. It's like champagne can only come from the champagne region in France. Otherwise it's called sparkling wine.
tri3forme USER_AVATAR
tri3forme
Rustler

Postby tri3forme » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:10 am

outlaw wrote:I did a little looking at this after the post. My initial thought was this is not true wagyu which in reality is both true and false. Where I was mistaken was I thought Kobe and Wagyu was the same, but it is not. There is a large American Wagyu association but they just raise that breed.(It can be any of 4 different breeds commonly called Wagyu)(Wagyu just means Japanese cow) The diet, and massaging of the animal for the Kobe beef is what makes the meats marbeling so extraordinary. I'm not convinced that just the breed alone will yield anything better than prime. Be worth a try though as the supplier mentioned has a great website and the prices are not that far out of line with prime prices.

This is what convinced me to buy Wagyu:
The USDA scale for upper grade meat quality has 3 levels: Select, Choice, and Prime. Prime is the highest USDA grade. Roughly, 3% of traditional US cattle harvested are graded as Prime – equivalent to a Wagyu BMS score of 5.

Over 90% of domestic Wagyu cattle grade out as at least Prime, with most reaching a BMS score of 7-8. Wagyu’s intense marbling occurs from genetics and from the cattle spending more time on special feed, about 30 months as compared to commodity beef cattle which are fed about 24 months.

http://www.buedelmeatup.com/2012/12/04/ ... agyu-beef/

A Bar N Ranch says their cows produce grading between 6-8.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:12 am

no doubt it was a great cut of Cow and I certainly wouldn't turn one down ?IF? it was offered to me but Yikes what it must take to bite the "bullet" so to speak :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:18 am

tri3forme wrote:

This is what convinced me to buy Wagyu:
The USDA scale for upper grade meat quality has 3 levels: Select, Choice, and Prime. Prime is the highest USDA grade. Roughly, 3% of traditional US cattle harvested are graded as Prime – equivalent to a Wagyu BMS score of 5.

Over 90% of domestic Wagyu cattle grade out as at least Prime, with most reaching a BMS score of 7-8. Wagyu’s intense marbling occurs from genetics and from the cattle spending more time on special feed, about 30 months as compared to commodity beef cattle which are fed about 24 months.

http://www.buedelmeatup.com/2012/12/04/ ... agyu-beef/

A Bar N Ranch says their cows produce grading between 6-8.

Very nice. Please believe I was trying to be argumentative. I am excited to see something like this available for us lesser privileged :lol: . Just sharing what I found. I ended up reading a whole dissertation on Wagyu and Kobe. My wife has always promised me a prime or better brisket to play with. Thanks to you I see one in the very near future. Thanks for posting. Sure wish we could have seen some flat slices after resting.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
fat USER_AVATAR
FAT
Wrangler

Postby FAT » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:21 am

Once I learn to cook brisket, I might try one.

After spending $140 on a 5 bone rib roast, the price doesn't seem bad, assuming I don't ruin it.

Thanks for sharing the information.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”