New welder

Custom manufactured BBQ Pits, Do-it-Yourself projects, parts and ideas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

wvuarmyeng
Pilgrim

New welder

Postby wvuarmyeng » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:11 am

Looking at either a Miller matic 211 or the multimatic 215

What did you all think of these and which you recommend? Use for small repairs at the farm and making some smokers and other projects. I have used a Lincoln 210mp but from reading the miller is better.

Thanks for three input

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: New welder

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:26 am

"Paging KAM - - customer needs information on Isle One" :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
dwilliams35
Pilgrim

Postby dwilliams35 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:13 pm

It's really just a ford vs. chevy thing. They're both good machines, Lincoln has done some "dabbling" in the Home Depot/Lowe's maker with some machines that aren't quite the equal of their higher lines, but if you get similar price level machines, they're both good. I have lincolns at home and deal with millers at work, and I don't know that I could pick a real winner between the two.

I'd say just whichever one you have the best access to parts and consumables, go with it.

You might look at Hobart as well, since they took over Miller there's a lot of crossover between the two.
wvuarmyeng
Pilgrim

Re: RE: Re: New welder

Postby wvuarmyeng » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:49 am

dwilliams35 wrote:It's really just a ford vs. chevy thing. They're both good machines, Lincoln has done some "dabbling" in the Home Depot/Lowe's maker with some machines that aren't quite the equal of their higher lines, but if you get similar price level machines, they're both good. I have lincolns at home and deal with millers at work, and I don't know that I could pick a real winner between the two.

I'd say just whichever one you have the best access to parts and consumables, go with it.

You might look at Hobart as well, since they took over Miller there's a lot of crossover between the two.
Thanks I have looked at hobart and like them but I like the fact the miller has the infinite voltage adjustment.

I want to keep it and 1500 if possible

I also want to have a machine that will serve me well and not have issues

k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:41 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:"Paging KAM - - customer needs information on Isle One" :tup: :salut:

Thats funny OUP. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I will leave the wirefeeds to the wirefeed crew I weld stick. :D
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:47 pm

Oh well, a Welder not I be and I've proved it many times over many years - - - glad you gotta giggle. :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
wvuarmyeng
Pilgrim

Postby wvuarmyeng » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:02 pm

Yea I'm still in the grinder phase lol I get decent ones now and then. Hopefully with my own welder ill get better a tad faster

dwilliams35
Pilgrim

Postby dwilliams35 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:26 pm

Ya know what I'd think about doing if I was just starting out welding right now? March down to harbor freight and get one of those new Vulcan series welders. Everything I've seen says they're fairly solid, and they're advertising a one-year free trial... use it for a while, figure out what you want in a welder, and take it back if you want something different. You've got a year to figure that out.

Also, don't get wound up with the details at this point; my MIG at home is a 5-position power switch, and the ones I use occasionally at work are infinitely variable. I can't honestly tell you that I've ever really needed the latter. From the tasks you mention, you really don't need multiprocess, square wave, etc.. The main thing you want is power: have plenty of juice to pour into it, and it just gets easier to weld well. You also take the dreaded duty cycle out of the picture. I've been doing everything you mention, including some pretty heavy farm-equipment welds, with a $700 Lincoln MIG and a $250 crackerbox, for 25 years now... you just don't need tv screens on the control panel.

Return to “Custom Built Pits, Build Your Own Pit & Pit Modifications”