Fruit On The Akorn Night In The Poconos

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Re: Fruit On The Akorn Night In The Poconos

Postby Russ » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:32 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:YOU can't talk :?: - - - my blood sugah just went off the chart :whiteflag: if I ate a hunk of that this late I'd might as well get dressed and mow the yard in the dark :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Lol, I could never in a million years come up with a sentence like that.lmao. :whiteflag: :deadhorse:

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:59 pm

Professor Bunky wrote:OK, you twisted my arm. ;)
Here are the Cheesecake Brownies, fresh out of the oven. They just need to cool awhile before the gorging....I mean sampling, begins:

RECIPlease :chef: :tup: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:46 pm

Speaking of brownie, here's a pic of my leftover brownie from d.i.l dinner last night, her choice.
image.jpg

Looks pretty dark, but it's supposed too, they all loved it.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:04 pm

Chocolate is like Bacon - - - just eat it it's Guuuuuud :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:49 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:
Professor Bunky wrote:OK, you twisted my arm. ;)
Here are the Cheesecake Brownies, fresh out of the oven. They just need to cool awhile before the gorging....I mean sampling, begins:

RECIPlease :chef: :tup: :cheers:

This is the base brownie recipe I used (which is Hershey’s Best Brownies recipe with a few tweaks):

½ cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs (I use large ones)
½ cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa (I use a generous measurement and both light & dark cocoa)
¼ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
Optional: ½ cup chopped walnuts (I didn’t use any in this recipe)

Heat oven to 350 deg. Grease 11” x 7” baking pan (original recipe calls for 9”square pan).
In large bowl, cream butter, sugar and vanilla (original recipe calls for melting butter but I didn’t like the results). Add eggs and using a spoon, beat well.
Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Gradually add to egg mixture, beating until well blended. Stir in nuts (or any add-ins, if used). Spread into prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan (I use the toothpick test, to see if a toothpick stuck in the center comes out dry). Cool completely.

Now for this version, I used cheesecake-like batter on top, only slightly cut into the base brownie batter. (Full Disclosure: This batter was too loose and needed more baking time than the base brownies. Next time, I’ll try for a cheesecake recipe that’s thicker and bakes in the same time as the brownies).

This is what I used for the topping:

3 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons butter, softened
¼ cup sugar
1 egg
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon almond extract
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and sugar until creamy. Blend in egg, vanilla and almond extract. Stir in flour. Then I poured it over the brownie batter and cut it into the brownie batter a little bit, before baking @ 350 deg.

If you just use the base brownie recipe, you may want to frost them.
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:51 pm

PB,

That looks rediculously good !
Thanks for that recipe, sounds delicious !
I'm gonna give it a whirl without a doubt.
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:38 am

woodenvisions wrote:Nothing Sinister meant Outlaw :) you have some type of Egg or Kamado I think right ??

If so, you should dive Right in and whip one of these up, it's so easy a Cave Man could do it.
I promise you that once you bake this way, you will forget the oven exists, they come out that moist and Perfectly cooked. I use mine for just about everything, all thru the year even in 2 ft of snow, I just shovel a 2 ft long path to it on the deck :)

...and NO, I did NOT call you a Cave man lol

Believe me, I certainly have some cave man tendencies, so I wouldn't have been offended even if you did. Yes, I have a knock off egg (Bayou classic) but it doesn't see any action these days. The ceramic insert at the bottom I have used so much it just crumbled away. They were not available as replacement parts for years but just recently showed up on the web site. I need to order one and get back to using it, especially with turkey season around the corner. Best ever to smoke a bird.

This one I can still get: http://www.bayouclassicstore.com/Charco ... 0-583.html

But I also need this one and its out of stock: http://www.bayouclassicstore.com/Charco ... 0-584.html

There is nothing for me to measure so I dont know if one from another type would work. Anyone have any ideas?
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:41 am

:tup: Thanks, PB :salut:
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: Fruit On The Akorn Night In The Poconos

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:16 am

outlaw wrote:[quote="woodenvisions"]Nothing Sinister meant Outlaw :) you have some type of Egg or Kamado I think right ??

If so, you should dive Right in and whip one of these up, it's so easy a Cave Man could do it.
I promise you that once you bake this way, you will forget the oven exists, they come out that moist and Perfectly cooked. I use mine for just about everything, all thru the year even in 2 ft of snow, I just shovel a 2 ft long path to it on the deck :)

...and NO, I did NOT call you a Cave man lol

Believe me, I certainly have some cave man tendencies, so I wouldn't have been offended even if you did. Yes, I have a knock off egg (Bayou classic) but it doesn't see any action these days. The ceramic insert at the bottom I have used so much it just crumbled away. They were not available as replacement parts for years but just recently showed up on the web site. I need to order one and get back to using it, especially with turkey season around the corner. Best ever to smoke a bird.

This one I can still get: http://www.bayouclassicstore.com/Charco ... 0-583.html

But I also need this one and its out of stock: http://www.bayouclassicstore.com/Charco ... 0-584.html

There is nothing for me to measure so I dont know if one from another type would work. Anyone have any ideas?[/quote]Outlaw,
I wish I could help you with this, but unfortunately I can't. I went with a double walled porcelain coated Akorn cooker/smoker kamado for various reasons so I'm not sure about ceramic parts.
Hopefully you can find a replacement for yours because I know it puts out some great grub.
Good luck man.
professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:12 pm

woodenvisions wrote:PB,

That looks rediculously good !
Thanks for that recipe, sounds delicious !
I'm gonna give it a whirl without a doubt.

You're welcome, WV & OUP. Good luck with your brownies and any variations you try. I've found this to be a consistend and easier recipe than the ones based on melting unsweetened chocolate (as opposed to the cocoa in ths one).
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:39 pm

That recipe is almost identical to my one. Brownie and fresh cream.....heaven.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”