Permanent Spot

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rickhdz36 USER_AVATAR
rickhdz36
Rustler

Permanent Spot

Postby rickhdz36 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:12 am

Fellas I got a question for you offset guys. Do you have a permanent spot for your smoker? Or do you wheel it out and just set it up where ever? Do you adjust to where the wind is blowing or let it ride where it sits?

My current state is I keep it in my garage and then pull it to the backyard and find a good spot. But when the wind changes and ill rotate it to help keep the temps stable. Sometimes its frustrating because it is heavy and moving it on grass is not fun. I want to make a permanent spot for it, (which I need a cover for the smoker before I decide to leave it outside.) I was thinking of laying some brick tile down either towards back of my fence line or near the porch. Just cuz its convenient and out of the way when my son wants to play outside.

Let me know what your thoughts on this or your setup possibly in pic form if you guys dont mind.

Thanks! :cheers:
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Re: Permanent Spot

Postby Txdragon » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:45 pm

I've got an Oklahoma Joe Highland and I move it as needed. Nothing wrong with setting it up wherever you see fit!
(Insert witty signature here)
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:33 pm

Txdragon wrote:I've got an Oklahoma Joe Highland and I move it as needed. Nothing wrong with setting it up wherever you see fit!

I move mine around according to wind direction.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:45 pm

My thoughts would be to go ahead and put you a modest pad somewhere that you feel good about because "bottomline is" you can always move it if need be. Good Luck and ENJOY :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
castironchris USER_AVATAR
castironchris
Bandolero

Postby castironchris » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:51 am

I wish I could find a permanent spot. I put mine at the end of the driveway and they are in the way. Decided to build me a little area in the side yard which we never use and put a roof and everything and it is too much out of the way according to the wifey. Thinking about trying on the roof next..... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Weber 22" with SlownSear
Weber Smokey Mountain 22"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:27 am

:laughing7: :D :lol: Chris, that is probably more "universal" than you know :whiteflag:
None of my pits are large ones and yet I did put up a lean-too with some blocks for the floor. Even tho it's nice and efficient, if I'm gonna be outside during the cook, I'll back the yota out and move which ever to the car port. :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
castironchris USER_AVATAR
castironchris
Bandolero

Postby castironchris » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:22 am

Maybe if I had a car port.....nah, it would be too filled up with other crap...
Weber 22" with SlownSear
Weber Smokey Mountain 22"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:36 am

At my old house I used an offset for many years. It had a permanent spot just outside the patio. If it rained, the cooker got wet but I usually stayed dry. There were a few times I felt like the airflow was cut off so I’d strategically position a fan to help it along. Also helped the smoke stay out of the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:06 am

OldUsedParts wrote::laughing7: :D :lol: Chris, that is probably more "universal" than you know :whiteflag:
None of my pits are large ones and yet I did put up a lean-too with some blocks for the floor. Even tho it's nice and efficient, if I'm gonna be outside during the cook, I'll back the yota out and move which ever to the car port. :dont:

We have pop-up tents. Then, a concrete 'landing pad' where a shed once stood. The smoking equipment goes there, far enough from the house. That concrete slab has been a real boon, and we've been thinking of building a cinderblock rig on it next year.

But we just put the stuff away for hurrycane season. It looks bleak out there. :(
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:11 am

bsooner75 wrote:At my old house I used an offset for many years. It had a permanent spot just outside the patio. If it rained, the cooker got wet but I usually stayed dry. There were a few times I felt like the airflow was cut off so I’d strategically position a fan to help it along. Also helped the smoke stay out of the house.

?standing in the house and BBQn? - - - - Did you use those Dolly Parton Cooking Utensils with the real long handles :?:
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:31 am

If you have the space build something to at least "semi" cover them. Our family tends to gravitate to either the kitchen, or the pergola depending on where the cooking is going on. We start our day there, and end it as well.
Attachments
Heaven2.jpg
Heaven.jpg
20160430_135242_zpsvc9gqviu.jpg
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:43 am

Good place for your ATV too, eh Outlaw :laughing7: :D :lol:
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:16 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Good place for your ATV too, eh Outlaw :laughing7: :D :lol:

Sharp eye my friend :oops: :oops:
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:46 am

OldUsedParts wrote:[quote="bsooner75"]At my old house I used an offset for many years. It had a permanent spot just outside the patio. If it rained, the cooker got wet but I usually stayed dry. There were a few times I felt like the airflow was cut off so I’d strategically position a fan to help it along. Also helped the smoke stay out of the house.

?standing in the house and BBQn? - - - - Did you use those Dolly Parton Cooking Utensils with the real long handles :?:[/quote]

LOL -covered patio, not enclosed

bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:47 am

Nice setup Outlaw

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”