Advice needed

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

brisksmoker
Pilgrim

Advice needed

Postby brisksmoker » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:48 pm

This is the third brisket I have smoked looks very good bark was good nice and tender but kind of dry. I smoked it for a total of 12 hours at 225-240 pulled it when it hit 201 and it passed the probe test. Fat side up for the majority of the time and I sprayed it every 3 hours. When I pulled it I put beef broth in the aluminum foil before I set it in the cooler. I can't figure out how to keep it moist! :texas:
bobcat1 USER_AVATAR
bobcat1
Outlaw

Re: Advice needed

Postby bobcat1 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:25 pm

brisksmoker wrote:This is the third brisket I have smoked looks very good bark was good nice and tender but kind of dry. I smoked it for a total of 12 hours at 225-240 pulled it when it hit 201 and it passed the probe test. Fat side up for the majority of the time and I sprayed it every 3 hours. When I pulled it I put beef broth in the aluminum foil before I set it in the cooler. I can't figure out how to keep it moist! :texas:

I always wrap at about 160-165. I used to use beef broth when I used foil. I now use butcher paper. Not sure but Ima thinkin mine was more moist in the foil but the wife said the last brisket I cooked was best. I think the flat was a little dry.... but she loved it. I always do fat side down though, What to do??
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:05 am

I've got a few questions that may help us get you the right information.

How big of a brisket was it, weight-wise?

When you probed, where did you probe?

Did you let it cool at all before putting it in the cooler?

Did you warm the broth before adding it to the brisket?

How long did you let it rest in the cooler?

The most important thing you can do is not give up. Remember that each cut of meat is its own animal and will cook the way that it wants. Keep at it and you'll nail it. And don't be afraid to ask any questions. I think we've all been there before, and remember the frustrations vividly.
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
brisksmoker
Pilgrim

Postby brisksmoker » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:27 am

Here it is. I wrapped it at 170 and let it go until it reached 201. I then put beef broth in the foil and set it in the cooler. The point was fine the flat was just a little dry for some reason.
unnamed.jpg
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:35 am

95% chance it was under cooked, IMO.

I had a prime brisket this past weekend that just wouldn't move up the scale on temp/doneness, it just kept holding on and holding on...so I wrapped and put in the oven for extra 2 - 3 hours @ 225...came out awesome.

Just my (free) 2 cents.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
brisksmoker
Pilgrim

Postby brisksmoker » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:08 pm

What do you suggest on checking for being cooked completely? After I pulled it at 201 it reached 206 in the cooler and the probe went in like hot butter. I could not think of any other ways to check it any help is appreciated.
tri3forme USER_AVATAR
tri3forme
Rustler

Postby tri3forme » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:39 pm

brisksmoker wrote:This is the third brisket I have smoked looks very good bark was good nice and tender but kind of dry. I smoked it for a total of 12 hours at 225-240 pulled it when it hit 201 and it passed the probe test. Fat side up for the majority of the time and I sprayed it every 3 hours. When I pulled it I put beef broth in the aluminum foil before I set it in the cooler. I can't figure out how to keep it moist! :texas:

What grade of beef was it? Also, did you use a water pan during the smoke?
I don't eat to live....I live to eat
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:49 pm

brisksmoker wrote:What do you suggest on checking for being cooked completely? After I pulled it at 201 it reached 206 in the cooler and the probe went in like hot butter. I could not think of any other ways to check it any help is appreciated.

Where did you probe? Typically the middle of the flat is the best spot.
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
brisksmoker
Pilgrim

Postby brisksmoker » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:39 pm

Yes I had a water pan and another small pan with 12 oz of beef broth. I probed in the middle of the flat and the point it felt very tender and was not cooked extremely long
sinfony78
Rustler

Postby sinfony78 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:00 am

a couple important questions that people asked that you didn't answer...grade of beef and size of brisket

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”