Goobers

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: Goobers

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:36 am

Next question (if you can tell I may be doing these soon)…how long do they keep and how do you store them after boiling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:08 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:
Sailor Kenshin wrote:Okay, stoopid Northerner questions here. Someone who came from GA once brought us a can of boiled peanuts. I gather this wouldn't be the 'best' way to sample? I recall eating and liking them, but I don't remember if they had shells. Do you boil in or out of the shell? If in the shell...do you eat the shell? :shock:

Sailor, here could be an option for Y'all - - - - check the blogs - - - looks like a decent supplier to me
https://www.pnuts.net/view_reviews/69/RawPeanuts

Thanks for the link. The problem around here is that raw-in-shell peanuts you can find in the stores are mostly designated as animal food. :roll:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:21 pm

I would think that ?IF? they are in the shell then they are also Cave Man Vittles :dont:

I can remember some rancher friends that planted goobers in certain areas and then when ripe and "almost" dry in the field they would turn their cows in for brief moments of grazing - - - - they even bailed peanut hay sometimes after they had matured in the field. Same thing with field peas "OUCH" I love them both on my plate. :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:24 pm

bsooner75 wrote:Next question (if you can tell I may be doing these soon)…how long do they keep and how do you store them after boiling?

Kuz, they never lasted long enuff around here to find out but "google" says on the shelf about a week and in the frig no longer than a month. I can't imagine even a large batch lasting longer than two good NCAA weekends. :laughing7: :D :lol:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
castironchris USER_AVATAR
castironchris
Bandolero

Postby castironchris » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:19 am

OldUsedParts wrote:I would think that ?IF? they are in the shell then they are also Cave Man Vittles :dont:

I can remember some rancher friends that planted goobers in certain areas and then when ripe and "almost" dry in the field they would turn their cows in for brief moments of grazing - - - - they even bailed peanut hay sometimes after they had matured in the field. Same thing with field peas "OUCH" I love them both on my plate. :dont:

When I lived in Georgia growing up that is what we lived for was peanut season. I have planted, harvested, baled the hay, worked in a peanut mill, pretty much anything to do with them!! Still love boiled peanuts but my wife and kid won't touch them! Weirdest thing for me here was dove hunting over sunflowers and milo after spending my whole life dove hunting over peanut fields.
Weber 22" with SlownSear
Weber Smokey Mountain 22"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:09 am

a true Native Goobertician finally arises - - - cool stuff, Chris :tup: :salut: :cheers:
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:21 am

bsooner75 wrote:Next question (if you can tell I may be doing these soon)…how long do they keep and how do you store them after boiling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they keep forever if you freeze them
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:10 pm

Wut about boiling them shell off with some salt pork?

Russ, I promise this is not a dig at you, I've grown up and moved on, and was just thinking in my peanut head about the salty peanut tast mixed up with salt pork or BACON. Got bacon the brain since seeing the other posts.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:03 pm

JustinCouch wrote:canned peanuts are not good goobers. they always taste greasy to me.

Try peanuts from Virginia Diner just google them, you won't regret........I promise.
tarde venientibus ossa....
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:33 pm

Boots wrote:Wut about boiling them shell off with some salt pork?

Russ, I promise this is not a dig at you, I've grown up and moved on, and was just thinking in my peanut head about the salty peanut tast mixed up with salt pork or BACON. Got bacon the brain since seeing the other posts.

No one could upset me here, all good fun, I'm still thinking about doing this?

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”