Goobers

Any food other than BBQ or Grilled.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

JustinCouch
Outlaw

Goobers

Postby JustinCouch » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:08 pm

Boiled peanuts at the Couch house tonight. Can't wait till lunch tomorrow, maybe breakfast. Who am I kidding, Midnight snack!
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: Goobers

Postby bsooner75 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:17 pm

We were camping north of Jacksonville several years back and had our first boiled peanuts. They are addicting. How do you do yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:32 pm

Boil them for a long time in really salty water. Complicated isn't it!
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:44 pm

JustinCouch wrote:Boil them for a long time in really salty water. Complicated isn't it!

Ok, temps and time please. How salty?

Help me out.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:44 am

I like to add Zatarain's crab boil to the salt water then let them soak for a while after boiling.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:43 am

^^^^^^^^
What Egg Said :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:51 am

I tried boiled peanuts once.. Not for me.. I love peanuts, just not boiled.
(Insert witty signature here)
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:20 am

well Russ, that's kind of hard to say. A rolling boil only make sure you can put a lid on it and it doesn't boil over. Now the salt is the easy part. Boil them and if you didn't put enough salt in while boiling just ad salt to the water and let them set for a spell. The nice thing about boiling peanuts is I don't think you can overboil them.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:51 am

Hey Pard, do a small "lick and promise Batch" and then tweek from there on the rest of the Goober Peas :tup: As Juice-Tone said "you can always add more salt" :salut: that should be carved in a salt block monument some where here in the South :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:56 am

Where do you get the raw peanuts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:08 am

got mine from wally world, or "walmart" to those outside of MS and AL. I prefer to get them by the 30 lb sack at local fruit stands or farmers market but I was there and so were they. It was meant to be. We just polished of a quart bag here at work before 8:30.
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:20 am

Okay, stoopid Northerner questions here. Someone who came from GA once brought us a can of boiled peanuts. I gather this wouldn't be the 'best' way to sample? I recall eating and liking them, but I don't remember if they had shells. Do you boil in or out of the shell? If in the shell...do you eat the shell? :shock:
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:31 am

DO NOT EAT THE SHELL :whiteflag:

Can't speak for all but "WE" always boil them in the shells - - - - cracking and eating and then licking the salt from you fangers is half the enjoyment - - - at least for this Bubba it is :rambo: :laughing7:

Quick Story - no hi-jack intended: several years ago we were staying with some dear friends in San Antone and my then teenaged Grandaughter was with us - - - My friend Mike and Harlee went in to the Texas Roadhouse to see if the waiting line was very long and when they returned my Grandaughter came running to the car shouting "Pawpaw Pawpaw, they have FREE salted peanuts in there and you can throw the shells on the floor" :laughing7: :D :lol: well, we had a great supper that night, ate too many peanuts, threw the shells on the floor and FWIW, my Grandaughter grew up and Graduated from College earlier this year. :texas:
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:44 am

canned peanuts are not good goobers. they always taste greasy to me.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:45 am

Sailor Kenshin wrote:Okay, stoopid Northerner questions here. Someone who came from GA once brought us a can of boiled peanuts. I gather this wouldn't be the 'best' way to sample? I recall eating and liking them, but I don't remember if they had shells. Do you boil in or out of the shell? If in the shell...do you eat the shell? :shock:

Sailor, here could be an option for Y'all - - - - check the blogs - - - looks like a decent supplier to me
https://www.pnuts.net/view_reviews/69/RawPeanuts

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”