Hi from Katy, TX

Where 'ya from? Whadda 'ya cook on? Tell us a little about yourself. Is there a bounty on your head?

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

golfguy
Pilgrim

Hi from Katy, TX

Postby golfguy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:57 am

Hi everyone, I just started smoking about a year ago on a UDS I built. Now I just bought an offset and am still trying to figure it out. So far my favorite thing to BBQ is a pork butt.

Really enjoy smoking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Hi from Katy, TX

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:11 am

Howdy and Welcome from down there in "TIGER COUNTRY" - - - hope you and yours are drying out with no problems. :tup: :salut: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
golfguy
Pilgrim

Postby golfguy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:52 am

Thanks, yes we were lucky and didn't get flooded.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:46 am

What kind of wood you planning on using in your offset? Do you have a supplier or do you just buy local commercial wood?
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
golfguy
Pilgrim

Postby golfguy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:28 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:What kind of wood you planning on using in your offset? Do you have a supplier or do you just buy local commercial wood?

I would like to use Oak and am looking for a supplier, do you know anyone in my area?

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:08 am

Not offhand but let me check with my Katy Kuz and see if he knows of anyone or someone that might know. :tup:
golfguy
Pilgrim

Postby golfguy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:41 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Not offhand but let me check with my Katy Kuz and see if he knows of anyone or someone that might know. :tup:

Thanks, I appreciate it.

tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:41 am

Welcome from a few miles south of ya.
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
golfguy
Pilgrim

Postby golfguy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:50 am

Thanks, :tup:
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:11 am

There are a couple of suppliers down here in Richmond that always maintain stock of oak. And, they're right next door to each other. Not sure where you are in Katy, but, if you come down 99, exit 90 and turn right (west), follow 90 until Pitts road. U-turn at the light and there, on your right (after the U-turn) will be Galvans and Vasbinders. Vasbinders has a larger selection, and different sizes. Their wood "looks" better, but can be wet on occasion. They are also about $10 more per 1/4 cord than Galvans. If you go to Vasbinders, make sure to get wood out of one of their racks, rather than the huge wood pile in the back. If you need small splits, they do have bags of dry small splits. If no one is there to help, they also operate on the honor system. There's a locked coffee can with a price list. Get what you need, and drop cash or a check in the can.

Galvans has less selection, and they merely have traditional splits. The wood tends not to be as clean as Vasbinders, but it does tend to be dryer, as well as a little cheaper.

Your mileage may vary!
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
golfguy
Pilgrim

Postby golfguy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:28 am

Thanks allot, ill definitely check them out.
jwh USER_AVATAR
jwh
Cowboy

Postby jwh » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:44 am

Welcome!
Josh
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:03 am

TX1911 wrote: If no one is there to help, they also operate on the honor system. There's a locked coffee can with a price list. Get what you need, and drop cash or a check in the can.

Wow, back in the early 70s, there was an Egg Lady South of Junction Colorado that used the "honor system" - - - her sign out front read "AIGS for sale" and the first time I asked her if she had Eggs for sale she replied "Can't you read the sign out front" - - - I kept my mouth shut and bought several dozen then and many times after that - - -sometimes on the honor system if she wasn't there - - - ah Memories :D

Return to “WANTED POSTERS - New Member Introductions”