ceramic pizza stone

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

skeetercat
Pilgrim

ceramic pizza stone

Postby skeetercat » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:03 pm

does anyone use a ceramic pizza stone in their smoker for heat retention I have a Bandera and am thinking of putting it in the bottom.
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: ceramic pizza stone

Postby woodenvisions » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:44 pm

skeetercat wrote:does anyone use a ceramic pizza stone in their smoker for heat retention I have a Bandera and am thinking of putting it in the bottom.
Skeeter,
I've been using a Cordierite Stone for a few years. It's used on an Akorn style Kamado grill/smoker.
I use the stone in the lower section for a deflector for slow & low cooks and it doubles as a pizza/cookie stone up on top of the grates.

Just watch what kind of stone you get. Look for a thick style, preferably a name brand as well. I've found that you get what you pay for when it comes to cooking/smoking/baking stones.
Remember to Never ( heat shock ) it either. If ur gonna do pizzas, make sure the stone is placed in ur cooker during the warm up, NOT after it's 600 or so degrees. This is especially important in the colder weather, good chance you will crack it.

Also, try not to keep it too close to the hot coals for long. They aren't meant to be in that area.

Good luck
skeetercat
Pilgrim

Re: ceramic pizza stone

Postby skeetercat » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:00 pm

It really helped retain the heat in my Bandera

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”