Reverse Sear Pork Chops

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

drjekyll USER_AVATAR
DrJekyll
Pilgrim

Reverse Sear Pork Chops

Postby DrJekyll » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:09 pm

I've been doing most of my grilling for the past couple of years on my gas grill as I have always struggled with managing the heat, cook speed, and flare ups on my charcoal grill when grilling thicker cuts of meat. It seemed more like luck when something turned out decent (not overcooked, over-charred, or undercooked). But after getting into smoking lately and learning about the reverse sear technique and zoned cooking, I thought time to try a comeback to grilling on my weber kettle. The weber has only been used as a smoker as of late. My local supermarket had some store brand lump on sale cheaper than kingsford blue bag, so I went ahead and ventured out trying some lump charcoal for the first time on this cook. Started with four bone in pork chops that were about 3/4 lb each and about 1-1.25" thick. Lightly coated them with olive oil and dusted on some Chipotle Parmesan Corn on the Cob seasoning.

I was a little pressed for time, so I had to cook indirect at a little higher temp than planned. I had planned to cook at 225 for 45 minutes to 1 hour (internal temp 140) and then finish by searing over direct heat. But I ended up cooking indirect at 300 for about 25 minutes (internal temp about 125-135) before searing (internal temp at 155 when pulled off of grill, finished at 160 degrees after a few minutes sitting off the grill). I couldn't have been happier with how they turned out - tender, juicy, and flavorful. My wife, who is usually not fond of pork chops, even loved them.

Even with the trying the lump charcoal for the first time, I think the combination of more experience controlling cooking temps and monitoring internal temps with recent smoking ventures, slower easier process of reverse searing, and using digital thermometer to monitor grill temps made this comeback to charcoal grilling a success. Wish I had thought to get a pic after it was cut. Will definitely be utilizing the reverse sear method anytime I am grilling a thick cut of meat. Might even be able to justify buying a Slow & Sear now.

Bone In Pork Chops (Weber Reverse Sear).jpg
Weber Original 22" Kettle
Char-Broil Patio Bistro Gas Grill
Custom Vertical Smoker
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Reverse Sear Pork Chops

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:59 am

4 outa 4 = SCORE :cheers: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:19 am

Beautiful chops ya got there!!
(Insert witty signature here)
castironchris USER_AVATAR
castironchris
Bandolero

Postby castironchris » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:37 am

Those look beautiful!! By the way, the SlownSear will make things a lot easier when controlling lower temps and searing as well. I highly recommend it. Of course I admit to being a gadget guy so I have to try these toys!!
Weber 22" with SlownSear
Weber Smokey Mountain 22"
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:01 am

DrJ: Those thick chops are what we usually buy, and a reverse sear has been on our Wanna-Do list for a long time. They look great! :salut:
Moink!
professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:32 pm

Great looking Pork Chops!

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”