nasty flavor ribs.

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

JustinCouch
Outlaw

nasty flavor ribs.

Postby JustinCouch » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:37 pm

it all started when I built the uds. I started trying to smoke my ribs and I was not satisfied with the results. I changed a few things around and they got a little better. I spent some coin and got an offset and my ribs went to crap. Heres what im up against. I wish I could let some of you taste my nasty ribs so you could tell first hand what my problem was. The first time I cooked I used charcoal with storebought wood chunks. I had a problem with temp control. I asked around and found out that I should be using the coal to light splits and the splits will provide the heat and the smoke. Next time I used splits like all the videos I saw was using. I also put the split I was going to use next in the fire box so it could warm up. This time I choked it up to wet wood.... I split the splits into smaller splits next time and still had the problem of temp control so I had to use a couple of chimney starters of charcoal for extra heat. I really want to learn to use this thing...I see it as an accomplishment to use and offset smoker. From what I can tell I have A- NOT ENOUGH AIR FLOW, B-WET WOOD, C-SPLITS THAT ARE TO SMALL? I am not going to give up, but im getting tired of wasting ribs. I cooked a chicken and it was the bomb, not to smokey, but the skin was a little tough. I figure that's from the temp fluctuation., I know I have to get the wood dry before I can try again so maybe in a couple of weeks I will try again. Until then I will be trying new things In the smoker. I really don't want to put coal in the cooking chamber so I don't burn the bottom out of it. but im going to have to do something to keep from wasting my money on the grill. I am up for any input.
02ebz06 USER_AVATAR
02ebz06
Cowboy

Re: nasty flavor ribs.

Postby 02ebz06 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:48 pm

I would stop using wet wood.
In my opinion it just lengthens the time it takes for the wood to burn and keeps the temp cooler.
The fire has to evaporate it before the wood can burn.
LSG 20x42 Pellet Smoker (on order), CampChef PGXXL pellet smoker, Emozione Pizza Oven, CampChef Griddle
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:58 pm

Question, Friend :?: I'm assuming that you used different Wood when you cooked the Sheeken ?Right? If that's the case then I think I'd concentrate on a different Wood and another Reeb Cook. I know I should not say this but "GOOD WOOD is EVERYTHING" when used on Meat. :whiteflag:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:53 pm

OUP - never mind, I'm leaving it alone :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:22 pm

cooked the chicken the at the same time I cooked the ribs. same wood. The wood was supposed to be cherry and pecan. I was also told that they were dry. they were not.
rib_expert_1999
Pilgrim

Postby rib_expert_1999 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:48 pm

@JustinCooch, i read your post and I think I know what your problem is! Have you tried adding olive oil to your meat before putting it on the pit? I always use this little bad boy of a trick and my ribs come off just like beef jerky- excellent. The proteins in olive oil bring out the earthy tannins in pork, this is due to the active enzymes in EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) which become active around 250 to 275 degrees celcius. MAKE SURE YOUR MEAT IS BEING SMOKED AT THIS TEMP. These proteins break down into fermentable starches which give the meat an oaky afterbirth.

Happy Smoking my friend!

cheers,

rib_expert_1999
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:20 pm

Thanks for the input. I will try the oil trick next time.
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:15 am

A dumb question perhaps, but do you put a water pan in your stick burner?. My other advise would be to quit trying all those "designer" flavored woods and get you some good honest post oak as your fuel source and you'll never look back. One other thing, do you have a grate in your firebox? Make sure you have air flow and ash isn't restricting good flow. I use either a weed burner, or a single chimney of lump coal as my fire base and then add sticks until I have perhaps a 350-400 degree fire, let that burn down into coals until you have the temp you want before adding the meat. Just my .02
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:21 am

Olive oil is probably a good idea but tons of guys never use it and experience no issues flavor wise so don't expect it to cure your problem.
You got bad wood, or wet wood,period. Been there, done that, although I'm worried about your "fire starter" choice too.
I repeat (at the expense of overstating) that most wood peddlers are just a notch above crooks, thieves, liars and congressmen.
Also stay far away from kiln dried wood chunks such as what is sold at stores, it has terrible flavor.
Do yourself a big favor, go to Amazon and buy a moisture meter and get to testing your sticks before investing in expensive meat.
Buy no more than 50 full size sticks and keep them in a dry shed or off the ground covered up.
The reason to limit how much you store is that mice, rats and jumbo roaches will LOVE your woodpile.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:15 am

I'm thinking the prob might lie with/in/on the Bonz - - - reason being that the ribs and chicken were cooked "together at the same time" - - - - Rib Ghosts of Missippy
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:22 am

OldUsedParts wrote:I'm thinking the prob might lie with/in/on the Bonz - - - reason being that the ribs and chicken were cooked "together at the same time" - - - - Rib Ghosts of Missippy

Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:59 am

silly question but I need to know for reference. how would yall describe nasty tasting ribs? I need to know so I can accurately describe what I am talking about.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:17 am

"respectfully and humbly" I must say that I've never had any Nasty Ribs :dont:
some have been different in tenderness or moisture but never nasty :dont:
02ebz06 USER_AVATAR
02ebz06
Cowboy

Postby 02ebz06 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:19 am

rib_expert_1999 wrote:the active enzymes in EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) which become active around 250 to 275 degrees celcius. MAKE SURE YOUR MEAT IS BEING SMOKED AT THIS TEMP.

rib_expert_1999

You meant Fahrenheit. right ?
LSG 20x42 Pellet Smoker (on order), CampChef PGXXL pellet smoker, Emozione Pizza Oven, CampChef Griddle
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:19 am

Tough to say. Going in the order of preparing them, if the meat itself isnt good, you'll know it when you open the package. It will smell. Not like fresh meat smell, but the kind of smell that you immediately go "that's not right."

If it's a seasoning issue, try a different rub.

If it's a fuel issue, it will be a bitter flavor. Heavy smoke, and indigestion inducing (for me).

I won't notice a taste issue if it's either not cooked enough, or over cooked. That would be a texture issue.

Typing this, I realized just how difficult it is to reduce tastes to writing.
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”