Chuck Wagon

Re: Don't Laugh...

Postby Russ » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:01 pm

Ha got me wanting prawns now, nuts.lol :chef:

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:48 am

It's R2-D2's little brother!!
(Insert witty signature here)
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:02 am

We had our first semi-failure in R2-D2: a toasted sammich. The top bread pieces flew off, and the bread and contents dried out before any browning occurred. Foreman or stovetop for sams from now on. :oops:
Moink!
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:08 pm

Okay, you can laugh now.

Bread. Tasted okay, bottom failed to brown;

Plate of horrible commercial food we had to resort to when we discovered the cornish hen was still frozen:

Cornish hen that took waaaayy longer than we thought and had to be put back twice:

PS: we bought another new toy...hope to have pics before too long.

The corn was gooood.

Learned hideous commercial frozen food is just that. And that hen should be split before cooking. And that SB TX Pecan RULEZ for bird.
Moink!
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:31 pm

Lol - recognize the pizza rolls. My kid loves those :) I've eaten my fair share as well. You know, couldn't waste food…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:35 am

Those pizza rolls are perfect for when u got da ( munchies ) ;);)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:18 am

looking at that cornish hen made me wonder if anyone has commercially come out with something that would do several of those beer can/smaller container/even vertical stainless tubes in the beer can chicken method ???? hmmmmm, I may see if my boys would like to help design and create something ????????????????????????????????
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:16 am

OldUsedParts wrote:looking at that cornish hen made me wonder if anyone has commercially come out with something that would do several of those beer can/smaller container/even vertical stainless tubes in the beer can chicken method ???? hmmmmm, I may see if my boys would like to help design and create something ????????????????????????????????

I'd like to see that. We've read of people putting these hens on a can of V-8, or pineapple juice the same size. :dont:

They don't make beer that small. :laughing7:
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:26 am

Granted, HOWEVER, since SIZE MATTERS in this case, one could sacrifice the contents and replace with "da brew of choice" :tup: now all that would remain would be to keep them standing straight up during the cook :scratch: -- -I'm gonna do it ?OR? at least I'm gonna try and fab something :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:17 pm

Now we tried the little round insert pan to bake brownies.

Although we'll probably do most of our baking in the regular oven, and still have some bone-in white meat tweaking to do (thick part should get slashed and breast should be started skin-down), this little appliance has been fun so far.

We're not done testing yet! What about wangs? :laughing7:
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:34 pm

chocolate is like bacon - - - - it's just screams ready and waiting to EAT :tup: :salut: :cheers:
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:34 pm

It goes on and on. R2D2 makes dinner!

Here's the vejable medley (carrot, baby zuke, red peppa from the garden, beans from the garden, garlic, ginger, lemon pepper). This is the only thing done on the stovetop.

Now, the spring rolls. From a store, frozen. They were the appetizer. I made a sweet/sour dipping sauce for those.

Main course was frozen salmon from the store, in two different flavors. And it was ON SALE!

"But wait," you're saying, "That doesn't look like salmon at all! That looks like shrimp!"

Because it is. We'd just pulled the salmon from the freezer. Its label had a big American flag. And caught-in-USA.

But then PB saw, where you wouldn't notice at first, 'Processed in China.'

Back in the freezer. Shrimp snatched out. Also did a half-nuked baked tator with pepper cream dressing.

The potato and vejables were good, at least. Shrimp, not bad. I feel like a dope for not taking a magnifying glass to the salmon label. :dont:
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:15 pm

Well, the way I see it is: "THAT MEAL was made in :flag: " regardless of it's recent voyage and I would be glad to call it my Plate. dem slmips look ever so crunchy too :tup: :salut: :cheers:
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:29 pm

Sailor post a photo of yer contraption, I am curious but wary... Might get me to where I want to go (love dem fried foods) while my bride gets to ride shotgun (she don't want the fat).
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:52 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Granted, HOWEVER, since SIZE MATTERS in this case, one could sacrifice the contents and replace with "da brew of choice" :tup: now all that would remain would be to keep them standing straight up during the cook :scratch: -- -I'm gonna do it ?OR? at least I'm gonna try and fab something :dont:

I got it. Get your welding crew to fabricate a couple/three stainless pedestals on a stainless base (maybe with louvers in it) that would fit in this:

https://www.crateandbarrel.com/cuisinar ... gLRUPD_BwE

Wife bought one of these, it worked pretty good at roasting and searing for about a year until the heating element went democratic on me.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."

Return to “The Outpost - Cooking any grub other than BBQ”